Ruling Gengar - Fainting Spell

Silver_Cyh

er... Hello?
Scenario:
-I have 1 prize card left and my opponent has 2 prize cards left
-Gengar is my only pokemon in play, my opponent has an active pokemon and 3 bench.
-When my Gengar get KOed, my coin flip for Fainting Spell is "head", so basically I KO my opponent as well, drawing my last prize card.
-But I don't have anymore Pokemon to be selected as active, so my opponent wins as well.

Q: Do we have to play sudden death? Or I basically had won the game?

I think your opponent wins, because he KO's you first, thus being the last Pokémon in play, but i'm not sure.

Here's the prize taking sequence...
1. When a pokemon knocked out, opponent only able to pick a prize card once all the effects are resolved (eg. Phoneix Turn, Fainting Spell, Radiance, etc.)
2. Bringing up a new pokemon as active is being done after the prize card is took.

So, basically...
1. Gengar knocked out.
2. Flip for Fainting Spell.
3. Flipped head, opponent pokemon knocked out.
4. Both player draw a prize card.
5. You took all the prize card, opponet have one more prize card left. Y
6. You win the game...

This is what I think. Chairman Kaga might know better.

As long as you flip heads for Gengars Power, both players fulfill one win condition. There is no "Order of doing things" when it comes to prizes and winning. Win conditions are (I believe) checked at the end of the turn. So, because both players reach one win condition by the end of the turn, it goes to sudden death.

When you check to see if one player wins or not, you dont just check one thing. You look at the list of two possible win conditions. Your opponent having no more Pokemon remaining, or you having taken all of your prizes. The winner is the person who fulfills more win conditions at the time. If this scenario was Player A and Player B both had no Pokemon left, but Player A has taken all of their prizes and Player B has one left. Then Player A would win, because he has fulfilled both win conditions, when Player B has only fulfilled one.

Note we say one win option. If Genger was KO'd, flip heads, then both Pokemon are KOd. But if one bench is empty when this happened, the second win condition occurs: no benched Pokemon present to replace the KOd active. In that case, it is not a sudden death.

If both Pokemon are simultaneously KOd, and no other win conditions are fulfilled by then, sudden death occurs. It's just like your normal game... only there's only one prize card instead of six.

Back