Gengar EX Variants

Machamp The Champion

TCG Articles Head
This thread is used for all competitive discussion on Gengar EX Variants. This includes strategies, playstyles, and techs.

You may post decklists here, but only as a means to add to the discussion. If you're looking for advice on your list, post in the Deck Garage.

Gengar/Trevenant Skeleton List:

Pokémon: 13
  • 3 Gengar EX
  • 3-3 Trevenant
  • 2 Sigilyph DRX
  • 2 Wobbuffet PHF
Trainers: 30
  • 4 Professor Juniper
  • 4 N
  • 3 Colress
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 3 VS Seeker
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 3 Muscle Band
  • 3 Float Stone
  • 1 Computer Search
  • 3 Virbank City Gym
Energy: 11
  • 4 Mystery Energy
  • 3 Psychic Energy
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy
Open Spots: 6

Strategy:
The strategy behind this deck is to use Gengar EX's Dark Corridor to switch into one of several wall Pokemon to hinder your opponent in some way. Trevenant prevents your opponent from playing Item cards, Wobbuffet shuts off their abilities, and Sigilyph is immune to damage from EX Pokemon. Mystery Energy and Float Stone allow you to retreat these Pokemon for free back into Gengar EX. The issue with this deck is its Dark weakness. Yveltal EX utterly destroys Gengar EX, and there's very little Gengar can do to stop that. But other decks can be very annoying by both the Poison from Gengar EX, and the ability of the wall you send up.

Good Additions:
  • Dragalge FLF
  • Zekrom BW / Reshiram BW / Kyurem NV
  • Raichu XY
  • Keldeo EX
  • Robo Substitute
  • Weakness Policy
  • More Psychic Energy instead of Mystery Energy

I guess I'll start off the discussion. I think this deck is legit. A lot of people think it's an inferior version of Donphan, but Gengar has its uses.

In my version, I play Dragalge. The idea is if you have Trevenant Active, Dragalge on the bench, and use Dark Corridor, they have no way to switch out their Active. The only exceptions are Virizion EX, Steel Shelter, and if they play Lysandre + Switch. Thus, you can target down anything you want with Lysandre, and they have no way of moving it. I also play Wobbuffet and Sigilyph, as they can use useful in some situations. I feel like without Trevenant and Dragalge, Donphan is just the better deck, as it's a non EX with a lower attack cost.

Mystery Energy is really good in here for retreating your walls. If Seismitoad is attacking, you can't play Float Stone, so Mystery Energy can be really helpful in those spots.

The biggest problem with Gengar is it has a really hard time with Yveltal and Vir/Gen; 2 of the best decks right now. If for some reason, your area has neither of these decks, Gengar should be a really good play. But I doubt that will happen anywhere.

Robo Substitute is great in this deck. Definitely a solid card overall. I'm not sure if this deck is as good at what it does as Donphan, but it's definitely worthy. One thing that Gengar does have over Donphan is Night Attack. The Yveltal matchup isn't terrible so long as you can keep a backup Gengar on the bench, in case one gets Lysandred up. That said, 1-2 Startling Megaphones / Xerosic is a good play in here in case Garbodor shuts off your locks. When I get two more Gengar-EX and built this, I'm planning to exclude Trevenant entirely in favor of Dragalge and RoboSubs.

Pyroar could even be used as a lock. If you opt to run Rainbow Energy (not a huge hurt since Gengar's a hit and run and gets out of the danger zone), this is a possible tech against VirGen that can function as your attacker in this case. M-Manectric variants will still give this trouble, but that's what Wobuffet and Sigilyph are for.

I do not like to play Virbank in Gengar-EX, since Muscle Band already does the job. Seems like a waste of space to me. I prefer to use Dimensional Valley to avoid having to use DCE, since Enhanced Hammer is back in format.

I am obviously going to try to make this deck work. (Hence, my name). I was playing during Vilegar, Trainer locking the opponent was my thing. I will try to use Trev but I don't see it working as well. I will most likely use a deck that has:

• Gengar EX
    Robo Substitute
    Wobbuffet
    Pyroar (For VirGen)
    1-1 Mega Manectric EX
    1 Dedenne
    Dragalge
I am thinking of running Mega Manectric EX/Manectric EX to counter Yveltal decks. I think using a Dedenne and 1-1 Mega manectric is sufficient enough to take down Yveltal EX. Using a Kyurem in this deck would help against Landorus EX. The main strategy of this deck should be using Gengar EX to switch into Robo Sub and having Dragalge trapping the opponent, forcing them to use a switch or float stone. I like Trev, if it works and isn't that clunky then I will use it for sure.

I can see this deck becoming good. (The player being smart about his/her area and matches.)

Gengar master said:
I am obviously going to try to make this deck work. (Hence, my name). I was playing during Vilegar, Trainer locking the opponent was my thing. I will try to use Trev but I don't see it working as well. I will most likely use a deck that has:

• Gengar EX
    Robo Substitute
    Wobbuffet
    Pyroar (For VirGen)
    1-1 Mega Manectric EX
    1 Dedenne
    Dragalge
I am thinking of running Mega Manectric EX/Manectric EX to counter Yveltal decks. I think using a Dedenne and 1-1 Mega manectric is sufficient enough to take down Yveltal EX. Using a Kyurem in this deck would help against Landorus EX. The main strategy of this deck should be using Gengar EX to switch into Robo Sub and having Dragalge trapping the opponent, forcing them to use a switch or float stone. I like Trev, if it works and isn't that clunky then I will use it for sure.

I can see this deck becoming good. (The player being smart about his/her area and matches.)
That's quite a lot of things going on :p. I think that would make the deck pretty clunky. A 1-1 M-Manectric line probably isn't the best idea because it would be hard to get it out consistently since you would most likely only run 1 or 2 of the spirit links. Pyroar also makes the deck clunky and I think that Sigilyph is the better option here. Sigilyph also annoys the heck out of VirGen (probably even more than Pyroar because VirGen decks play M-Manectric now). Dragalgle is nice but you should probably choose between either it or Trev. Sub robot tends to take up a lot of bench room.

I don't use trev but I have tried it. It gets very clunky so your consistency goes out. I do run with Drag and also keep in mind the beauty of the Gengar deck is that it can use its walls as attackers.

Camoclone said:
Gengar master said:

• Gengar EX
    Robo Substitute
    Wobbuffet
    Pyroar (For VirGen)
    1-1 Mega Manectric EX
    1 Dedenne
    Dragalge

That's quite a lot of things going on :p. I think that would make the deck pretty clunky. A 1-1 M-Manectric line probably isn't the best idea because it would be hard to get it out consistently since you would most likely only run 1 or 2 of the spirit links. Pyroar also makes the deck clunky and I think that Sigilyph is the better option here. Sigilyph also annoys the heck out of VirGen (probably even more than Pyroar because VirGen decks play M-Manectric now). Dragalgle is nice but you should probably choose between either it or Trev. Sub robot tends to take up a lot of bench room.

I agree. I forgot Sigilyph (in general:p and) is enough for VirGen. Dedenne might not be enough to take out a Yveltal EX and if it is prized I think a Mega Manectric is a decent Plan B. There is always a 2 Dedenne route, but I think Dedenne isn't guaranteed to KO Yveltal EX. I would like to Lysandre out the Yveltal EX my opponent is currently charging up.

I feel this is the right way to go
1-1 Mega Manectric and 1 Dedenne / 2 Dedenne (It isn't an auto loss to go against Yveltal. These techs can be enough to take out Yveltal.)
Gengar EX
Wobbuffet
Robo Sub
Sigilyph

yveltal Ex isn't by far the biggest problem of this deck
zekrom+hard charm makes magic numbers, yveltal needs 4 energies + muscle band +laser + virbank for only one prize (hard charm because without it he can y-cyclone+band+laserbank)
your biggest problem is darkrai-ex , there is no consistent way to deal with it
OHKO gengar and 30 damage for setting future knockouts is HUGE

My list in the Deck Garage: Roar of the Haunted

I started testing around with Gengar/ Pyroar. The two cards actually have some nice synergy with each other. A 3-3 Pyroar line takes care of VirGen, argually one of Gengar's worst matchups, as well as giving an edge against Metal. Of course, even in other games you can still use Pyroar as a wall, so it's almost never dead weight. i don't like Trevenant in here, as without Accelgor it's less difficult to get around. I would have tried to squeeze Dragalge in, but I'm afraid it would ruin consistently since I'm already running another evolution line (Pyrpar) and a pretty thick one at that. In reality thuogh, with a Muscle Band plus the poison, you're two-shotting anything that's not a Mega.

I also decided to go with Dimension Valley as my main stadium instead of Virbank. I know a lot of people testing with Head Noiser. Dimension Valley is a soft counter, as it negates the extra colorless energy. It also lets be put more basic energy in the deck, since I can use Dark Corridor for two energy, and Night Attack (yes, I've used this a few times) for no energy at all.

IMO, Gengar with dusknoir is one good choice, you can control the dmg to don't lose any dmg counter and to defeat the opponent's boring Pokémon. And more! You can promove wobbuffet to active and don't turn down sinister hands, then you can atack with it, wobbuffet, if the oponents Pokémon has half of its life.

I suggest dimmensional valley to gengar, it give you a one energy wobbuffet atack and 2 energies gengar atack, "cancels" ringer, "reduces" yvetal dmg and don't is countered by hammers(dces with virbank). Virbank is good, but do the dmg one turn early is good to. Maybe both on the same deck and you chooses the best for the match.

The big question I have is what Stadium to play. Virbank is obviously good in any deck that can poison, but with Enhanced Hammer being a pain in the you know what, DV allows you to play all basic energy while still only needing 2 attachments. For the Gengar/Trevenent/Draglage deck I'm gonna make, I'm leaning toward Virbank just because Trevenant makes hammers less of a threat, but in other versions, particularly those which want to focus on Gengar's Mega. I'd use DV.

pokedan24 said:
The big question I have is what Stadium to play. Virbank is obviously good in any deck that can poison, but with Enhanced Hammer being a pain in the you know what, DV allows you to play all basic energy while still only needing 2 attachments. For the Gengar/Trevenent/Draglage deck I'm gonna make, I'm leaning toward Virbank just because Trevenant makes hammers less of a threat, but in other versions, particularly those which want to focus on Gengar's Mega. I'd use DV.

Yup I agree. Though I don't think Virbank is actually necessary. Gengar EX won't be getting OHKOs. The Virbank won't make a big difference.

With Virbank: Dark Corrider will have done 120 by the start of your next turn.

Without Virbank: Dark Corrider will have done 80. (100 with muscle band.)

So both situations will end up with 2HKOs and Big EXs that have 170+ HP. If you think you will have trouble getting the muscle band on Gengar EX (Only way Gengar EX would get 2HKOs on Big EXs), use Virbank. If you run 2+ Muscle Band with Skyla, pretty much guaranteeing, getting a Band on Gengar EX, use DV.

Just my opinion.

Gengar master said:
Camoclone said:

I agree. I forgot Sigilyph (in general:p and) is enough for VirGen. Dedenne might not be enough to take out a Yveltal EX and if it is prized I think a Mega Manectric is a decent Plan B. There is always a 2 Dedenne route, but I think Dedenne isn't guaranteed to KO Yveltal EX. I would like to Lysandre out the Yveltal EX my opponent is currently charging up.

1-1 Mega Manectric and 1 Dedenne / 2 Dedenne (It isn't an auto loss to go against Yveltal. These techs can be enough to take out Yveltal.)
Gengar EX
Wobbuffet
Robo Sub
Sigilyph

I think Zekrom might be your best bet, but if you're set on Manectric EX I might recommend that instead of making room for the M Manectric EX, Spirit Link, AND Dedennes... just run 2 Manectric and some Head Ringers. You're now doing 120 damage x2 for weakness with the additional plus of causing disruption, and the Ringers also help with the Darkrai matchup previously mentioned, who already takes quite a bit of time to load up. Sure, you're not getting the energy acceleration, but by running a 1-1 you weren't really counting on that anyway. Lastly, the Ringers are useful in non-Yveltal matchups too.

Has anyone considered running Garbodor in this deck? The worst matchup for traditional Gengar builds is VirGen because you can't poison. Well, Garbodor fixes that right up, and gets rid of that pesky Red Signal as well. You won't be able to run your Safeguards anymore, so you run 2 Zekrom (Yveltal counter), 2 Reshiram (to further better your chances against VirGen), 1 Kyurem (already at an advantage against Fighting decks thanks to Gengar EX's Fighting resistance), and maybe a Mewtwo for some slugging power.

I'm not sure if this would be better than Trevenant, but I think it's worth considering given how popular VirGen is right now.

I also believe that Dimensional Valley is the way to go over Virbank for reasons already stated. Just be sure to run 4 Muscle Band.

totodile_it_down said:
Gengar master said:

Gengar EX
Wobbuffet
Robo Sub
Sigilyph

I think Zekrom might be your best bet, but if you're set on Manectric EX I might recommend that instead of making room for the M Manectric EX, Spirit Link, AND Dedennes... just run 2 Manectric and some Head Ringers. You're now doing 120 damage x2 for weakness with the additional plus of causing disruption, and the Ringers also help with the Darkrai matchup previously mentioned, who already takes quite a bit of time to load up. Sure, you're not getting the energy acceleration, but by running a 1-1 you weren't really counting on that anyway. Lastly, the Ringers are useful in non-Yveltal matchups too.

I realized that a few posts later. Mega Manectric EX is not needed. 1-2 Manectric EX is good enough. The Yveltal EX match up isn't too bad. The only way they will get to your Gengar EXs is by Lysandreing (making up words :p)them out.

Gengar EX Competitive?

I used to play Pokemon TCG with my son a couple of years ago, and Gengar was my favorite, so now that he is dragging me back into the game (and trying to get me to play competitively) I have naturally gravitated to Gengar EX.

The question is, has anyone seen any truly competitive decks that feature Gengar EX? It seems like a bit of a "Poor Man's Donphan", with the hit and run tactics it employs but with much less potential for damage.

I have been playing with a Gengar EX/Seismitoad EX/Garbador deck, and had some success but it is certainly not an overwhelming force. I prefer to play a "frustration" game, liking to do anything to disrupt my opponent (special conditions, enhanced hammer, startling megaphones, poison, etc).

Are there any deck profiles featuring Gengar EX that really excel in a competitive environment?

Thanks in advance for any comments and/or suggestions!

RE: Gengar EX Competitive?

Ironman - thanks for the quick feedback. I should have mentioned I have been playing Robo Substitutes.

I was really more curious if anyone has actually seen this card/deck having any real use or success on the competitive scene.

RE: Gengar EX Competitive?

Wookiee Scholar said:
Ironman - thanks for the quick feedback. I should have mentioned I have been playing Robo Substitutes.

I was really more curious if anyone has actually seen this card/deck having any real use or success on the competitive scene.

Yes I see it every once in a while at tournaments
The problem is that I wouldn't recommend playing Toad or Garbodor with it. All of the versions I've seen do well have played M Gengar, Wobbuffet, Dragalge, Robo Subs, trevanent (or sigilyph), and the occasional Aegislash EX

Hope I helped

Back