• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Genesect EX/Metagross GX

Draskk

Blast From The Past
Pokemon(16):

4x Genesect-EX
3x Metagross-GX
2x Metang
3x Beldum
2x Shaymin-EX
1x Tapu-Lele-GX
1x Cobalion

Trainers (35):

4x Sycamore
3x N
2x Lysandre
1x Skyla
4x VS Seeker
3x Trainer's Mail
4x Ultra Ball
2x Choice Band
3x Rare Candy
2x Float Stone
3x Max Elixir
3x Reverse Valley
1x Atlar of the Sunne

Energy (9):

9x Basic Steel Energy

Strategy:

Early on, power up a Genesect with Max Elixirs to get some damage down, then try to get as many Metagrosses up as possible to recharge the Genesect, and cycle just like that. Basically a faster Solgaleo/Metagross deck.

The Techs:

Atlar of the Sunne: Volcanion is a really bad matchup for the deck because A) Volcanion is faster and B) Volcanion hits for weakness. Another option would be Weakness Policy, but Volcanion runs lots of Field Blower so its not really any safer than Atlar of the Sunne.

Cobalion: Is here because he provides a decent method of stalling before everything is ready to go and can do a decent amount of damage when the Prize trade isn't going too well.

Skyla: Ultra Ball-Lele-Skyla-Rare Candy is too good of a play for me to pass up on throwing one in here.

Another tech I think needs to be in here is Magearna-EX, but I can't seem to find the space. Thoughts? :)

I really want this to be a good deck, but I just haven't been able to get it there. So far I've pulled out Metang altogether and go for RC only. No Shaymin, 2 Lele. Carbink over Cobalion because Hammers/Flare Grunt (Not detrimental with Metagross putting it back, but could be getting extra damage instead. Needs room for more switching cards, ideally I want Genesect to start benched to Elixir energy on, then switch into it. You also didn't get Field Blower in and I think it needs 1 at least.

With base damage of 100 though, and the clunkiness to get it set up, I'm just not sold yet. I loved playing Genesect/Bronzong though so I'm really hoping something comes along to give this the extra edge it seems to be lacking to me.

I built this last night. It's kinda neat. Here's what I'm using.

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 15

* 4 Beldum GRI 83
* 2 Metang GRI 84
* 3 Metagross-GX GRI 85
* 3 Genesect-EX FAC 64
* 2 Jirachi PR-XY XY112
* 1 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60

##Trainer Cards - 35

* 4 Professor Sycamore STS 114
* 4 VS Seeker PHF 109
* 2 N DEX 96
* 4 Rare Candy SUM 129
* 2 Skyla BCR 134
* 2 Field Blower GRI 125
* 3 Reverse Valley BKP 110
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 1 Professor Kukui SUM 148
* 3 Choice Band GRI 121
* 2 Lysandre FLF 104
* 2 Float Stone BKT 137
* 2 Max Potion BKP 103

##Energy - 10

* 10 Metal Energy GEN 82

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

The Jirachi promo is the one from the Generations collection. For [M] you can draw 3 and put yourself to sleep. You have a 25% chance of staying asleep going into your turn so it's pretty cool. This is by no means a fast deck so I wanted a way to have some extra draw strength and this little guy works very nicely. I run two because I have two. If I had any more I would probably use up to three, replacing one of the Beldum for it.

Running Metang helps. Not having to rely completely on Rare Candy is a blessing in a format where you can get punished for playing items. Everyone in this deck resists Psychic, but there's no reason to make their job any easier.

One of the big issues with this deck is bench space. You don't have room for two Genesect, three (at least two) Metagross, Shaymin, Lele, and Cobalion. So I trimmed up the Pokemon line to go with just the essentials. Lele can swing for huge damage with Metagross backing her up, and being able to suck Skyla out of the deck immediately is pro, so Lele wins over Shaymin.

You could run Sky Field to somewhat alleviate the bench issue but I'd rather not help my opponent out in that way.

Altar of the Sunne is worthless. If you're going to even consider playing this deck competitively you're going to have to suck up the hard L to Volcanion, just like Scizor does. There is literally no way you can win.

In hindsight, I could probably afford to ditch Kukui. The biggest thing it does is save Genesect a discard. It lets Metagross swing for 170 but a band can do that just as well. That said, Kukui would allow Metagross to OHKO Greninja BREAK.

Max Potion is clutch in a deck like this. You can hard retreat any attacker, heal them, and then Geotech their Energy to a new attacker.

Whats up dude! I have been playing a deck similar to this, and have found a lot of success with it. Here is my list:

3x Genesect EX
2x Solgaleo GX
2x Cosmoem
2x Cosmog
3x Bronzong
3x Bronzor
1x Jirachi
1x Jirachi EX

3x Reverse Valley

2x Sycamore
2x Lillie
1x N
1x Skyla
1x AZ
1x Pokemon Ranger
1x Karen
1x Lysandre
1x Xerosic

3x Ultra Ball
3x Timer Ball
4x Level Ball
3x Max Elixir
1x Professor's Letter
3x Rare Candy
3x Vs Seeker
1x Dowsing Machine

8x Metal Energy

As, I said, I have had a fair bit of success with this deck, but I have a few improvements I would like to add. As far as your deck goes, here is what I would suggest:

2x Genesect EX
2x Solgaleo GX
2x Cosmoem
2x Cosmog
3x Metagross GX
2x Metang
3x Beldum
1x Tapu Lele GX

3x Altar of the Sunne

2x Sycamore
2x Lillie
1x Brigette
1x N
2x Skyla
1x Lysandre

3x Ultra Ball
3x Timer Ball
3x Level Ball
4x Rare Candy
3x Choice Band
3x Vs Seeker
3x Max Elixir

8x Metal Energy

(This is a rough list, so take my advice with a grain of salt or two...)

Alright, time to explain my reasoning:

Solgaleo - With your current decklist, you are basically relying on Elixirs and manually attaching just to get a Genesect online. Solgaleo helps you get the Energy onto the field! In your list, you also kind of lack a reliable way to switch things around, which is always nice, especially with a Metagross stuck in the active. It also makes an amazing, heavy-hitting attacker, which will help you take out larger threats

Altar of the Sunne - I know taking a little bit less damage is nice, but with Volcanion in standard for the foreseeable future, this is a far better option.

No more Shaymin - People tend to hate when I say this, but when you have a deck that is heavily dependent on bench space, no Shaymin. With all 3 Metagross, a Solgaleo, and very likely the Tapu Lele, you will not have any room. You could always play it, and then just use it's attack to get it out of play, but too many things can go wrong with that.

Brigette/Lillie - This deck, as stated above, is very dependent on bench space, and having what you need in play. Brigette is very nice for getting the Cosmog and Beldum onto your bench as soon as possible so that you can get the Metagross and Solgaleo online as fast as you can. Lillie has been an amazing draw card in my decks, especially since I play it with Jirachi EX in expanded (Pretty much the same as Tapu Lele). If you can get your hand size down, all you have to do is Ultra Ball for the Tapu Lele (This works better with Jirachi, since I can search for it with a Level Ball), and play it, thus getting the Lillie into your hand so you can play it. Playing the Tapu Lele to get the Brigette helps get Pokemon into play, and Lillie with Tapu Lele is almost always a better play than Shaymin (In my opinion anyway).

I am not the best of players, but I hope this advice may be of use to you. As I said earlier, I have had great success with my deck, and I have tried to apply some of the working ideas in my deck to yours. Best of luck to you!

Thanks,
-AV

Whats up dude! I have been playing a deck similar to this, and have found a lot of success with it. Here is my list:

3x Genesect EX
2x Solgaleo GX
2x Cosmoem
2x Cosmog
3x Bronzong
3x Bronzor
1x Jirachi
1x Jirachi EX

3x Reverse Valley

2x Sycamore
2x Lillie
1x N
1x Skyla
1x AZ
1x Pokemon Ranger
1x Karen
1x Lysandre
1x Xerosic

3x Ultra Ball
3x Timer Ball
4x Level Ball
3x Max Elixir
1x Professor's Letter
3x Rare Candy
3x Vs Seeker
1x Dowsing Machine

8x Metal Energy

As, I said, I have had a fair bit of success with this deck, but I have a few improvements I would like to add. As far as your deck goes, here is what I would suggest:

2x Genesect EX
2x Solgaleo GX
2x Cosmoem
2x Cosmog
3x Metagross GX
2x Metang
3x Beldum
1x Tapu Lele GX

3x Altar of the Sunne

2x Sycamore
2x Lillie
1x Brigette
1x N
2x Skyla
1x Lysandre

3x Ultra Ball
3x Timer Ball
3x Level Ball
4x Rare Candy
3x Choice Band
3x Vs Seeker
3x Max Elixir

8x Metal Energy

(This is a rough list, so take my advice with a grain of salt or two...)

Alright, time to explain my reasoning:

Solgaleo - With your current decklist, you are basically relying on Elixirs and manually attaching just to get a Genesect online. Solgaleo helps you get the Energy onto the field! In your list, you also kind of lack a reliable way to switch things around, which is always nice, especially with a Metagross stuck in the active. It also makes an amazing, heavy-hitting attacker, which will help you take out larger threats

Altar of the Sunne - I know taking a little bit less damage is nice, but with Volcanion in standard for the foreseeable future, this is a far better option.

No more Shaymin - People tend to hate when I say this, but when you have a deck that is heavily dependent on bench space, no Shaymin. With all 3 Metagross, a Solgaleo, and very likely the Tapu Lele, you will not have any room. You could always play it, and then just use it's attack to get it out of play, but too many things can go wrong with that.

Brigette/Lillie - This deck, as stated above, is very dependent on bench space, and having what you need in play. Brigette is very nice for getting the Cosmog and Beldum onto your bench as soon as possible so that you can get the Metagross and Solgaleo online as fast as you can. Lillie has been an amazing draw card in my decks, especially since I play it with Jirachi EX in expanded (Pretty much the same as Tapu Lele). If you can get your hand size down, all you have to do is Ultra Ball for the Tapu Lele (This works better with Jirachi, since I can search for it with a Level Ball), and play it, thus getting the Lillie into your hand so you can play it. Playing the Tapu Lele to get the Brigette helps get Pokemon into play, and Lillie with Tapu Lele is almost always a better play than Shaymin (In my opinion anyway).

I am not the best of players, but I hope this advice may be of use to you. As I said earlier, I have had great success with my deck, and I have tried to apply some of the working ideas in my deck to yours. Best of luck to you!

Thanks,
-AV
Thanks! I've been playing around with this a bit, and I the Max Elixirs haven't been the best at getting Energy on the board, but I just don't see the space anywhere for the Solgaleo line and I feel like since Solgaleo is a Stage 2, the Max Elixirs would be faster (even though they aren't ideal). Once again, thanks for the help! :)
P.S. Brigette definitely deserves a space here.

-1 Atlar of the Sunne
+1 Brigette

Last edited by a moderator:
I built this last night. It's kinda neat. Here's what I'm using.

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 15

* 4 Beldum GRI 83
* 2 Metang GRI 84
* 3 Metagross-GX GRI 85
* 3 Genesect-EX FAC 64
* 2 Jirachi PR-XY XY112
* 1 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60

##Trainer Cards - 35

* 4 Professor Sycamore STS 114
* 4 VS Seeker PHF 109
* 2 N DEX 96
* 4 Rare Candy SUM 129
* 2 Skyla BCR 134
* 2 Field Blower GRI 125
* 3 Reverse Valley BKP 110
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 1 Professor Kukui SUM 148
* 3 Choice Band GRI 121
* 2 Lysandre FLF 104
* 2 Float Stone BKT 137
* 2 Max Potion BKP 103

##Energy - 10

* 10 Metal Energy GEN 82

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

The Jirachi promo is the one from the Generations collection. For [M] you can draw 3 and put yourself to sleep. You have a 25% chance of staying asleep going into your turn so it's pretty cool. This is by no means a fast deck so I wanted a way to have some extra draw strength and this little guy works very nicely. I run two because I have two. If I had any more I would probably use up to three, replacing one of the Beldum for it.

Running Metang helps. Not having to rely completely on Rare Candy is a blessing in a format where you can get punished for playing items. Everyone in this deck resists Psychic, but there's no reason to make their job any easier.

One of the big issues with this deck is bench space. You don't have room for two Genesect, three (at least two) Metagross, Shaymin, Lele, and Cobalion. So I trimmed up the Pokemon line to go with just the essentials. Lele can swing for huge damage with Metagross backing her up, and being able to suck Skyla out of the deck immediately is pro, so Lele wins over Shaymin.

You could run Sky Field to somewhat alleviate the bench issue but I'd rather not help my opponent out in that way.

Altar of the Sunne is worthless. If you're going to even consider playing this deck competitively you're going to have to suck up the hard L to Volcanion, just like Scizor does. There is literally no way you can win.

In hindsight, I could probably afford to ditch Kukui. The biggest thing it does is save Genesect a discard. It lets Metagross swing for 170 but a band can do that just as well. That said, Kukui would allow Metagross to OHKO Greninja BREAK.

Max Potion is clutch in a deck like this. You can hard retreat any attacker, heal them, and then Geotech their Energy to a new attacker.
I like your list, I completely forgot about Max Potion, that is definitely something that should be in here. Here's an updated list:

Pokemon(16):

4x Genesect-EX
3x Metagross-GX
2x Metang
3x Beldum
2x Tapu-Lele-GX

Trainers(35):

4x Sycamore
3x N
2x Lysandre
1x Skyla
1x Brigette
4x Ultra Ball
3x Trainer's Mail
4x VS Seeker
1x Super Rod
3x Rare Candy
2x Float Stone
2x Max Potion
2x Max Elixir
3x Reverse Valley

Energy(9):

9x Metal Energy

I really want to put in Field Blower, but i'm not quite sure how. The Max Elixirs have been really helpful in the beginning because they let me get an attack off in the beginning before the Metagrosses are up, but late game they're pretty useless. I don't like dropping T-Mail, although I've never actually tried doing it, I like having it just for the additional digging power and for more draw supporter outs (although it's use there is kind of diminished by Lele). I like the idea of Jirachi, I've actually been testing Alolan Vulpix, but neither seemed worth it to me, especially because of Max Elixir. Thanks for all the advice everyone! :)

Brigette is interesting because you can Lele for it, but you can't pull Genesect and Beldum simultaneously with it which kinda makes me not like it. It's kinda cool if you have Genesect on the field already, though.

Jirachi also helps because it's itemless draw and gives you a seventh prize to sit up front and stall for a turn or two.

Take out Trainers' Mail. All it does is needlessly fuel Trashalanche.

4 Metagross GX
1 Metang
4 Beldum
2 Tapu-Lele GX
2 Shaymin EX
13 Pokemon

4 Professor Sycamore
3 N
1 Lysandre
1 Skyla
9 Supporters

4 Rare Candy
4 Ultra Ball
4 VS Seeker
4 Trainer's Mail
3 Float Stone
2 Choice Band
2 Escape Rope
1 Switch
1 Field Blower
1 Super Rod
25 Trainers

2 Alter of the Moone
2 Stadiums

6 Metal Energy
4 Psychic Energy
10 Energy

To be totally honest. Because of the way Metal Pokemon are right now, there isn't a "good" solo attacker. With both of the Stage 2 Metal Pokemon, you want to focus on them instead of a secondary attacker. Tapu-Lele GX would be a better attacker than Scizor EX (needs guaranteed switching in order to do substantial damage, Genesect EX (can hit 190 with CB, but unless you have two Metagross out already AND an energy in hand, he just sits there doing nothing the next turn) or Magearna EX (see Scizor EX) in Metagross GX. In my opinion, it's better to just attack with Metagross GX every turn, either use Float Stone to retreat to another, or if you CB'd it, use Alter of the Moone to retreat for one cost (your psychic energy which you can get back with Metagross GX) and just loop then similar to Lapras GX. A CB'd Tapu-Lele GX will almost always hit for 110-130 with the meta as it is, and has free retreat under Alter of the Moone if you attach a Psychic to it.

Genesect does set up faster than Solgaleo, but you can't reliably OHKO things like Sol for having to discard the 3 energy, I run meta/sol on TCGO and find that it has sufficient speed.

4 Metagross GX
1 Metang
4 Beldum
2 Tapu-Lele GX
2 Shaymin EX
13 Pokemon

4 Professor Sycamore
3 N
1 Lysandre
1 Skyla
9 Supporters

4 Rare Candy
4 Ultra Ball
4 VS Seeker
4 Trainer's Mail
3 Float Stone
2 Choice Band
2 Escape Rope
1 Switch
1 Field Blower
1 Super Rod
25 Trainers

2 Alter of the Moone
2 Stadiums

6 Metal Energy
4 Psychic Energy
10 Energy

To be totally honest. Because of the way Metal Pokemon are right now, there isn't a "good" solo attacker. With both of the Stage 2 Metal Pokemon, you want to focus on them instead of a secondary attacker. Tapu-Lele GX would be a better attacker than Scizor EX (needs guaranteed switching in order to do substantial damage, Genesect EX (can hit 190 with CB, but unless you have two Metagross out already AND an energy in hand, he just sits there doing nothing the next turn) or Magearna EX (see Scizor EX) in Metagross GX. In my opinion, it's better to just attack with Metagross GX every turn, either use Float Stone to retreat to another, or if you CB'd it, use Alter of the Moone to retreat for one cost (your psychic energy which you can get back with Metagross GX) and just loop then similar to Lapras GX. A CB'd Tapu-Lele GX will almost always hit for 110-130 with the meta as it is, and has free retreat under Alter of the Moone if you attach a Psychic to it.
It is true that Metagross can fight but this is just a Metagross GX deck. Thanks for the advice but I think I'll pass.
Genesect does set up faster than Solgaleo, but you can't reliably OHKO things like Sol for having to discard the 3 energy, I run meta/sol on TCGO and find that it has sufficient speed.
Yeah, it is true that Genesect doesn't OHKO everything, but with Max Elixir you can get a T1 attack off for 160 damage, 190 with CB, which seemed pretty valuable to me. Metagaleo, the more I think about it, seems to be a completely different deck in that it takes time to set up but absolutely wrecks once it is. Maybe some kind of Genesect/Solgaleo/Metagross combo would work?

Brigette is interesting because you can Lele for it, but you can't pull Genesect and Beldum simultaneously with it which kinda makes me not like it. It's kinda cool if you have Genesect on the field already, though.

Jirachi also helps because it's itemless draw and gives you a seventh prize to sit up front and stall for a turn or two.

Take out Trainers' Mail. All it does is needlessly fuel Trashalanche.
I think you're right about Trainer's Mail, at this point we can probably just bump up the Supporter counts:

-3 T-Mail
+1 N
+2 Field Blower

There, with 8 draw supporters we should be fine without Trainers Mail.
I had extra space and Field Blower seemed to be the most logical choice. Thanks for the advice! :)

Back