General Writing Discussion Thread | Current Topic: NaNoWriMo

RE: Writer's Lounge

Does anyone else use this kind of method when describing things in the story? For example, I often start with a simple sentence stating what is happening.

Example said:
He dribbled the ball.

And from there on, I try and expand little by little.

He dribbled the orange basketball across the court.

And so on. Does anyone else try this approach when writing?

I wrote my first draft that way. Although that was to see if the plot would add up smoothly.

I don't...

I don't know if this is bad, but I plan absolutly nothing on my story.

When doing a story I imagine the end...

And nothing else, I make everything up as I write.

Dark Giratina said:
Does anyone else use this kind of method when describing things in the story? For example, I often start with a simple sentence stating what is happening.

And from there on, I try and expand little by little.
I try to do it automatically, but when I proofread, I do expand time to time. What you get is my insanely long and dragging descriptions.

Zyflair said:
I try to do it automatically, but when I proofread, I do expand time to time. What you get is my insanely long and dragging descriptions.

How many times do you revise your story before you end up with the final version?

The "Once" was to answer your first question. Sorry. x3

Haha! Usually, when I write, I always have preconceived notions about how I want the story to work. By that, I mean that I know what the beginning, middle, and end will look like, and how I want it to go down. Everything in-between is created in the spur of the moment. Once I finish my first go-around, I try not to change any elements I've added. I'd like to say that I do this so that I don't get in the habit of censoring my own mind and letting you guys see the inner workings, but the honest truth is that I'm too lazy to change some things.

An interesting thought crossed my mind the other day while drawing a picture of one of my Fakemon... In most fanfics, I write using the US standard for measurements (i.e. Imperial increments), particularly when describing things like characters' heights and distances. However, I recall one time where I use metric instead since it seemed to suit my narration better because the main character was more "scientifically" minded and had the ability to guage things more accurately in meters rather than feet or yards. I was just wondering if anyone else feels that describing things in metric measurements would leave a stronger impact on readers, or if it would be more confusing to those who normally use Imperial one instead?

My fanfic used metric, so everyone naturally thinks in metric there.

Zyflair said:
My fanfic used metric, so everyone naturally thinks in metric there.

But not all fics do. That's where my question comes from.

Well, if your character really does think in metric, then it's best to go for the realism. I would put differentiating the world and the character's quirks as part of the reader's responsibility.

Zyflair said:
Well, if your character really does think in metric, then it's best to go for the realism. I would put differentiating the world and the character's quirks as part of the reader's responsibility.
^

Choosing metric or imperial measurements is by no means a standard. If the narrator alone is doing it, then the measurements need to be consistent, i.e. speak only in one or the other. However, if it pertains to a particular person thinking in a certain way and is familiar with a specific system (that may be contrary to the narrator), the person takes precedence, since they have a bigger 'voice' in a story than a narrator.

Guys I have a question: For writing a major battle scene (yeah, my fanfic is going to be having a big one), do you think it's better if I mash them together in one big chapter or is it recommended that I separate it into a few chapters?

No, I think it'd just crumble up like a paper if you mashed them all together. Trust me; you won't like the result.

Lucky Fire said:
No, I think it'd just crumble up like a paper if you mashed them all together. Trust me; you won't like the result.

"Feels rushed" is what your trying to get across?

I'd split it up if it's that major, possibly even through in other events that are going on simultaneously so it doesn't feel like one uninterrupted block of droning on.
Fight scenes are really irritating in fanfiction, both to write and to read, mostly because they interrupt the flow of a story. If the fight scene is short enough, get it out all at once so you don't have to deal with it; if it's crucial to the plot and pretty long, space it out.

Back