Ruling Gardevoir Lv. X Question

ErikH526

Time to tip the scales!
If I have a Gardevoir Lv. X and if my pokemon has the lowest and I have a Bench Shield HP or my opponent's pokemon has the lowest HP and they have a Bench Shield can Bring Down KO that pokemon?

Please reply back.

Thanks,
TwilightErik

Your question is confusing. Take your time to write it right dude. (i'm guessing you're a dude... Erik?)

illius said:
Your question is confusing. Take your time to write it right dude. (i'm guessing you're a dude... Erik?)

Yes, why did you ask?

PoptartG4791 said:
Nope. The effect of the attack would be prevented, so it does nothing.

Thanks!

This belongs in the rulings and card section for future reference.

But yes it would be knocked out because it doesn't say
to do enough damage to ko the lowest hp pokemon.
It effectively means place damage counters on it until
it is knocked out. in a way it's related to shadow room,
in terms of how it is blocked. It is an effect on an attack
that knocks out the lowest hp poke instead of damage.

The only way it would be blocked is if the poke with the
lowest remaining hp had an unown g on it. And even at
that, if there were no other pokemon in play with lower
hp, then you MUST choose the one with unown g on it,
which essentially negates your attack.

crm103top08 said:
This belongs in the rulings and card section for future reference.

But yes it would be knocked out because it doesn't say
to do enough damage to ko the lowest hp pokemon.
It effectively means place damage counters on it until
it it knocked out. in a way it's related to shadow room,
in terms of how it is blocked. It is an effect on an attack
that knocks out the lowest hp poke instead of damage.

The only way it would be blocked is if the poke with the
lowest remaining hp had an unown g on it. And even at
that, if there were no other pokemon in play with lower
hp, then you MUST choose the one with unown g on it,
which essentially negates your attack.

Oops.
It would get knocked out.
I thought Bench Sheild prevented effects, not damage.
Boo me.

This is a card / ruling question. In the future, please try to post in the appropriate forum by reading the forum titles and descriptions. :)

*moves*

To clarify this little mess: A Pokémon with Bench Shield equipped is NOT protected from Gardevoir's Bring Down. One with Unown G, however, is.

To further clarify: If I use "Bring Down" while both me and my opponent both have (for example 30hp left Pokemon) on our bench.
If my opponent has an Unown G on his/her "30hp left" Pokemon, and I have an Unown G on my "30hp left" Pokemon. Then "Bring Down would automatically knock out MY Pokemon. Since their Pokemon is guarded and Unown G only protects against effects caused by an opponent and not by ones self.

You are incorrect. You can still target it, but it won't do anything.

YourP1MP said:
To further clarify: If I use "Bring Down" while both me and my opponent both have (for example 30hp left Pokemon) on our bench.
If my opponent has an Unown G on his/her "30hp left" Pokemon, and I have an Unown G on my "30hp left" Pokemon. Then "Bring Down would automatically knock out MY Pokemon. Since their Pokemon is guarded and Unown G only protects against effects caused by an opponent and not by ones self.
I actually got that one wrong on my Professor exam. Dragonexpert is right.

First you find the Pokemon in play, on both sides, excluding Gardevoir, that has the least HP remaining. That Pokemon becomes the target of Bring Down, and is Knocked Out (unless it has Unown G attached or has a Poke-Body like Bibarel SF or Toxicroak G PL).
If there is a tie in regards to whoever has the least HP left (i.e. two or more Pokemon have the same amount of HP remaining), you get to choose the Pokemon, regardless of whose side it's on, and that becomes the target of Bring Down.

Sorta like the YGO card 'Hammer Shot', since it affects either side and has a set target unless there's a tie, in which case you choose.

Oh OK. I see. That makes sense.
I just wanted to point out that if you wanted to "Bring Down" your own Pokemon that was Guarded, it would die. Unown G would not prevent it.

YourP1MP said:
Oh OK. I see. That makes sense.
I just wanted to point out that if you wanted to "Bring Down" your own Pokemon that was Guarded, it would die. Unown G would not prevent it.
Yes, that much is true. The way you worded it, though, it made it sound like you HAD to target your own if there was a tie and the opponent's choice was Guarded.

Unown G WOULD stop you from knocking anything out that had it equipped. Even if it's your own.
It says to prevent all effects of attacks, not just your opponent's attacks.

crm103top08 said:
Unown G WOULD stop you from knocking anything out that had it equipped. Even if it's your own.
It says to prevent all effects of attacks, not just your opponent's attacks.

No, it was eratta'd to say from your opponent's atacks.

"Q. Does Unown G's "GUARD" Poke-POWER prevent effects from attacks that the Unown G is attached to?
A. No, the Poke-POWER only prevent effects from an opponent's attacks, not your own. Unown-G's "GUARD" Poke-POWER should say, "As long as Unown G is attached to a Pokemon, prevent all effects of attacks, excluding damage, done to that Pokemon by your opponent's Pokemon". (Feb 21, 2008 PUI Rules Team; Feb 28, 2008 Pokemon Organized Play News)"

Craig III said:
No, it was eratta'd to say from your opponent's atacks.

"Q. Does Unown G's "GUARD" Poke-POWER prevent effects from attacks that the Unown G is attached to?
A. No, the Poke-POWER only prevent effects from an opponent's attacks, not your own. Unown-G's "GUARD" Poke-POWER should say, "As long as Unown G is attached to a Pokemon, prevent all effects of attacks, excluding damage, done to that Pokemon by your opponent's Pokemon". (Feb 21, 2008 PUI Rules Team; Feb 28, 2008 Pokemon Organized Play News)"

So that means, If an attack required me to discard energy from my pokemon, and the pokemon i choose have unown G, the effect is still on?

It depends on whose Pokemon is attacking. If your opponent attacked and a result of that attack forces you to discard an energy off the Pokemon with Unown G attached, the effect is prevented. If your Pokemon is the one attacking, it will still have to discard the energy necessary to use the attack.

Back