• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Garchomp / Gallade

garchompcrescent

Part-Time Misplayer
A few days ago, a friend and I came up with a deck that I haven't seen played anywhere else. It uses Garchomp from Breakpoint and Gallade from Breakthrough as powerful attackers, each with a secondary function that can be used for setup both early and late game. The list is as follows:

Pokémon (16)
  • 3 Gible (BKP)
  • 1 Gabite (BKP)
  • 3 Garchomp (BKP)
  • 3 Ralts (BKT)
  • 1 Kirlia (BKT)
  • 3 Gallade (BKT)
  • 2 Shaymin-EX (ROS)
Trainers (35)
  • 3 Korrina (FFI)
  • 2 Sycamore (XY)
  • 2 N (Fates Collide)
  • 1 Lysandre (FLF)
  • 1 Maxie's Hidden Ball Trick (PRC)
  • 4 Trainers' Mail (ROS)
  • 4 VS Seeker (PHF)
  • 3 Level Ball (PRC)
  • 2 Ultra Ball (ROS)
  • 1 Professor's Letter (BKT)
  • 1 Sacred Ash (FLF)
  • 3 Muscle Band (XY)
  • 3 Focus Sash (FFI)
  • 1 Battle Compressor (PHF)
  • 4 Rare Candy (PRC)
Energy (9)
  • 3 Fighting
  • 3 Double Colorless Energy (XY)
  • 3 Strong Energy (FFI)
Strategy:
Use Korrina to get Rare Candy so you can set up Garchomp and a Gallade on your second turn. Use Garchomp's attack Turbo Assault to set up Gallade and itself. Continue to set up more of these pokemon using Gallade's ability Premonition, as they will generally only last a turn or two. Muscle Band is intended to boost Gallade's damage output, while Focus Sash is used to make Garchomp last longer, as it is often frail. Gallade's attack is to be used for non-EX decks (Particularly Greninja and Night March), while Garchomp is to be used for most other things.

I like your build and I have to say that IF you go first and get that Korrina you may consider a VS seeker as your item so you guarantee yourself that next turn evolution for at least one of them, preferably garchomp of course. I think you have a somewhat light build in terms of non-garchomp energy support. I mean if they pick off your gible you had better pray for that DCE next turn or you're in a world of hurt. I think this deck is amazingly fun though. We had a kid in the senior division of our league play a very similar build and crush everything from night march to vespiqueen. It was awesome. For Nats though I would pass on this deck because of its speed issues with a bad draw. Good build though bro, well done!

Given the 2 Stage 2 lines, the deck is inherently "slow" to setup. Secondly, should your opponent Item-lock you T1, you may only be able to get, at most, 1 Garchomp and 1 Gallade into play since you only have 1 Stage 1 Pokémon for each line which would not enhance your game-winning odds.

Have you considered just running 1 of those lines with other supporting Pokémon? For instance, I've been running Garchomp since the set was available and have found it to be great in several aspects. Currently, Lucario EX and Hawlucha (FFI) are the only other F Pokémon in the deck.

IMO, your deck, in the current meta, needs more "focus," i.e., 1, not 2, Pokémon line to be most effective.

I like your build and I have to say that IF you go first and get that Korrina you may consider a VS seeker as your item so you guarantee yourself that next turn evolution for at least one of them, preferably garchomp of course. I think you have a somewhat light build in terms of non-garchomp energy support. I mean if they pick off your gible you had better pray for that DCE next turn or you're in a world of hurt. I think this deck is amazingly fun though. We had a kid in the senior division of our league play a very similar build and crush everything from night march to vespiqueen. It was awesome. For Nats though I would pass on this deck because of its speed issues with a bad draw. Good build though bro, well done!
Thanks! My Nats has already been and gone, where I played Garchomp on its own. The build was very similar to this, but with many more one-offs, and it also ran Hawlucha. Testing showed it to be relatively consistent, however I have yet to play against Trevenant, which I'm assuming to be my worst matchup, and I only dead drew in one game. I only really built it to play in league challenges over the summer, but it's turned out better than I thought it would.

I posted a deck with Gallade and Garchomp last week. It's called Gallchomp. I won 5 tournaments with it on pctgo, tons of packs as they were doing the 8 ticket entry fee.

Yeah it's a kick @$$ deck I like it more than my Trevenant Gengar deck right now.

Back