Discussion Garbodor has arrived on PTCGO

21times

Aspiring Trainer
Hello fellow Beachbums,

Just wanted to follow up on something I'm definitely noticing on PTCGO - I'm seeing A LOT more Garbodor than I had seen in the first two months of the rotation.

I had previously reported that I've seen Garb only about 5% of the time over the first two months of the new rotation. I've been keeping a close eye on this because I thought (like many others) that Garb would be a huge force in the new meta - and there's no doubt that he is. So far this month, decks running Garbodor are 13-5 against me. Overall, I'm winning 53% of the matches I'm playing, so Garb definitely is significant.

In 231 matches this month, I've seen Garb 18 times (about 8%, 3% higher than the first two months). However, in my last 32 matches over the past 4 days, I've seen Garb 9 times - a whopping 32% of the time, almost once every three matches.

This is very disappointing to me, personally, as I was having so much success with my Greninja, Volcanion, and Yanmega Vespiquen decks :( I guess it just means that I'll just be playing my Scizor and Rainbow Road decks for awhile (maybe I'll even dust off Mewtwo).

I'm wondering if this is a repercussion from recent major tournaments in Philadelphia and Liverpool. I've heard that Garb is all over the place in the real world, I've been wondering when he was going to start showing up in PTCGO.

OK so just to follow up after seeing Garb 3 times tonight: in the last 7 days since November 11th, I've played 96 matches. I have now seen Garbodor in eighteen of those matches. That's 19%, almost one in every five matches. I'd be interested in knowing if anyone else has also seen an increase in Garbodor sightings on PTCGO.

Pretty much Volcanion EX and Greninja BREAK are the reason for this. People are tired of losing those decks so they are playing Garbodor to beat them. I pretty much want to do the same thing.

You are right, Garb is getting more and more popular, specially this month.
Like crystal_pidgeot said , its because greninja/volc.
Im very desappointed with it too, cos my favorite deck is greninja. I started to test it with 2 wally/ 2 candy, so I can get the break out before garb gets online. Its working alot, sometimes you get the break out in your second turn, specially if you start with talonflame.
In the other hand, Im testing 2 M Scizor/ 2 M Mewtwo decks, one with 2-2 garb, one with 2 Hex + techs, and Im getting alot more success with Hex. Its a bit trick against greninja/Volc, but still manageable, And you improve every other matchup.

Hah Tanure that is so funny, you and I are basically having the exact same experience. Greninja was quickly becoming my favorite and most successful deck to play until this rash of Garb showed up. I have now also pivoted to Scizor (actually traded one of my Greninja breaks for a Scizor & M Scizor so I could complete a 3-3 line) because Scizor is having a lot of success against me this month (I am 2-8 against it in November).

I have been playing Rainbow Road and I have been lucky enough to not be affected very much ( or even notice) the increase of Garbodor's. What have noticed is an increase in Scizor decks.

Yeah my rainbow road is winning about 78% of the time, but that's part of the reason I'm switching Scizor. Less Volcanion, more Rainbow Road = more Scizor.

Honestly can't say I'm sorry I was tired of every almost every game being greninjas and it being almost impossible to stop without garbodor, with the new giratina out to target it too, it should make it so that only good Greninja players actually play it. (It seemed to have become the "easy" win deck).

In my point of view greninja is so popular because you have chance against any other deck, and the price ofc, I think you can build it from zero with 20 Packs. About the "easy" win deck, I desagree, with all the respect, sometimes the deck is very inconsistent because it is a "stage 3".
Unffortunable Greninja cant OHKO garb, and megaphone is op for this "mega-meta". I think xerosic reprint can be very good for the meta.

In my point of view greninja is so popular because you have chance against any other deck, and the price ofc, I think you can build it from zero with 20 Packs. About the "easy" win deck, I desagree, with all the respect, sometimes the deck is very inconsistent because it is a "stage 3".
Unffortunable Greninja cant OHKO garb, and megaphone is op for this "mega-meta". I think xerosic reprint can be very good for the meta.

The reason people consider it an easy button is because there is almost no way to stop two Greninja BREAK from getting into play and when they do get into play, you just lose. Its because most decks in Standard can't OHKO it. If the only way to beat a deck is to hope it bricks, then it means the deck is broken but I think a few cards in the meta are unhealthy.

No question when they built Greninja they purposefully designed it to be dominant. Yes, I was having a lot of fun and will miss it.

I'm playing it in person because its one of the best decks that doesn't require Shaymin-EX, which as a new player seems to be impossible to get without forking over $50-60 dollars. I've bled my area dry of it's last 40 Roaring Skies packs and didn't get a single one.

Well playing it isn't exactly true I'm still building it. Need them Dive Balls lol

The reason people consider it an easy button is because there is almost no way to stop two Greninja BREAK from getting into play and when they do get into play, you just lose. Its because most decks in Standard can't OHKO it. If the only way to beat a deck is to hope it bricks, then it means the deck is broken but I think a few cards in the meta are unhealthy.

I have played various decks against it and the truth is that trying to block it is nigh on impossible without Garbodor. I don't think I have seen a good deck ever brick if they hit froakie? If someone can get past the Frogadier stage it wins. With its low energy cost, replication and ability (meaning once you have two breaks you hit for 120 damage before attacking) it is hard to stop. Its the Water Shuriken that is painful because it uses 6 damage counters so it can't be blocked by any pokemon that stops damage even.

So yes it is an easy win deck in that sense, without garbodor, because there is little that you have to defend against. Few decks can compete with it as it has very few weaknesses (you cant use milling, energy denial, card denial, speed, high power, etc)

I've been playing a lot of M Mewtwo/Garb recently and I'd go as far as saying the Greninja match up has become a fairly easy W. Just recently however, I've seen some Greninja decks use the new Greninja promo that has Aqua Shower for 1 w energy, "This attack does 20 damage to each of your opponents pokemon". I've ran into this just 3 times so far but I did lose 2 of the 3. The strategy was to bring this Greninja up and Aqua Shower putting 20 down on Garb on the bench, then in the next turn or 2 when Breakpoint Greninja is up Lysandre and hit him with Moonlight slash to finish him off.

It's not perfect and a lot of things still have to go right but it's another option to help deal w Garb.

Interesting, I have not seen that promo yet on TCGO. Something to consider, as I'm a little sad that I haven't been able to play Greninja lately and would like to try to revive it.

It's available in the shop for like 250 tokens with a pack if I recall. Not sure how long the promos stay up in the shop, but definitely grab it since this one seems worth it.

Just an update, I'm now up to 30 Garb sightings in 343 matches this month. That's almost 9%, about once in every eleven matches. In my last 150 matches since November 13th, I have come across him 21 times - 14% of the time.

Against my Greninja deck, I've come across him 10 times in 57 matches (18%); against my Volcanion deck, I've gone against Garb 4 times in 21 matches (19%).

Against my Rainbow Road deck: once in 55 matches. Against my Mega Ray Garb deck: once in 29 matches.

Again, I play only online at PTCGO. Obviously, there's something in the algorithm.

Another quick update: 32 times I've seen Garb now in 374 matches. My Garb sightings on PTCGO seem to have decreased as I am playing less pokemon with abilities. I went 36 matches over 3 days and only played decks with pokemon without major abilities (decks include, Darkrai EX, Scizor EX, M Mewtwo EX and some others), and I only saw Garb twice.

Back