• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Alt. Format Future: Greninja BREAK

wolfhavoc

Aspiring Trainer
Hey fellow Beachers. This is my first post to the forums, so lets see how things go. I really like the new Greninja BREAK card coming out in BREAKpoint, and I really wanted to make a cool deck around it. I thought I might post it on here to see what some of you thought about it. I am still new to the competitive scene, and I am not the best at deck lists, so if this deck is really bad, then I apologize a head of time for wasting your time. Here goes nothing or everything:

Pokemon: 14
  • 2 Greninja XY
  • 2 Greninja XY-P 24
  • 2 Greninja BREAK - Bpt
  • 3 Froakie - Bpt
  • 1 Frogadier - Bpt
  • 1 Swampert (AT) - PC 36
  • 3 Shaymin EX - RS
Trainer: 36
  • 4 Archie's Ace in the Hole
  • 4 Fisherman
  • 2 Skyla
  • 2 Professor Sycamore
  • 4 Dive Ball
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Parallel City
  • 3 Trainers Mail
  • 3 Professor's Letter
  • 2 Battle Compressor
  • 2 Rare Candy
  • 2 Time Puzzle
Energy: 10
  • 7 Water Energy
  • 3 Darkness Energy
Strategy:

So the main driver of this deck is obviously the combo of Greninja BREAK with Greninja XY Base version. Using both of their abilities to discard 1 Water energy each and hit for 90 damage total before attacking. Swampert is included because you can search your deck for a card you need, and put that card on the top of your deck. The promo Greninja is something I added for fun, because I wanted to use the dark Greninja in some manner. Its ability is actually useful in the fact that it allows you to stall your opponent for a turn. Its Shadow Bullet attack is also useful for getting chip damage on an opponents benched Pokemon. Shaymin EX are used because right now most if not all decks need between 1 and 3 Shaymin for draw power.

For trainers, Archie's Ace in the Hole is key in getting Swampert, and one or two Greninja's out of the discard pile, and onto the field. Fisherman, Skyla, Sycamore, Dive Ball, VS Seeker, Trainers Mail, Professor's Letter, and Rare Candy are all pretty self explanatory on why these are needed. I included Parallel City for helping with Night March and Rayquaza decks, as well as the boost that Grass, Fire, Water, and Lightning damage is reduced by 20 BEFORE applying weakness and resistance (that means Vespiquen needs 2 extra discards). Time Puzzle is a new card that has two different abilities, the first one is useful, but the second one is more important because we can retrieve any 2 cards from the discard pile. So if we need a Greninja, Greninja BREAK, extra VS Seekers, supporters, or two energies, we have access to them. Finally Battle Compressor puts Swampert, and one or two Greninja's in the discard, so we can Archie them out.

Anyway, this is my idea for the deck. I think with some tuning, it can hold its own against Nightmarch, and even Vespiquen. There are some other strategies I have thought of, such as using two Greninjas and Greninja BREAKs to take down EXs before attacking, as well as cards I may need to include, like Ultra Balls instead of Dive Balls maybe, or energy retrieval. I am trying to make a deck that can really hold its own in a tournament setting, and something fun for the coolest frog in the series! Tell me what you think, and things I should, or should not include. Thanks for being cool friends! Shaka brah!

Last edited:
Dark energy on a deck that does not need it to attack? Ditch them, and replace them w/ more water energy... Oh, and that means ditching the promo too, and replacing it w/ greninja BPt, as a better way to deny ability use by foe...

Other than that, can't think of any more changes at this point in time...

edit: wait a minute: You have trainers' mail AND Skyla???

Either replace the skylas w/ two more sycamores/birches/weakness policies(not sure what to pick because the suggested changes would make all your pokemon weak to grass and lightning, but for energy efficiency improvement...), or even replace the mails w/ 2 sycamores/birches/weakness policies and 1 judge... Enough said for now...

Last edited:
With 4 Archie's and 3 Shaymins, I would suggest adding 4 Ultra Ball:

-2 Dive Ball
-2 Fisherman

+4 Ultra Ball

I do like the idea of the promo so you can not get touched when you evolve.
Also, Maybe take out:

-1 Swampert (AT)
-2 Archie
-2 Skyla
-1 Professor's Letter

+2 Frogadier
+1 Froakie
+2 Wally
+1 Rough Seas

These are just my suggestions. I think you could take full advantage of Frogadier by using Wally to get 4 Frogadier on the bench on T1 if you go second.

Other options:
2 more time puzzle would be good. In standard you could use either energy retrieval or energy recycler and professor's letter to get energy into your hand and discard them. Another Sycamore would also be good for draw support because right now you only have 5 draw cards(9 if you count Archie).
Also, sometimes you would rather use a different supporter than Fisherman so maybe energy retrieval would also be a good option.

Last edited:
This concept won New Hampshire states this year. I'm interested in bringing this thread back up to the top for more discussion.

I've been looking around and not finding anything. Being able to choose one of your Octillery draws seems very potent when you can use frogs to take multiple prizes in a turn.

Hello everyone;

I have been searching around for the main post concept... archie's a powerfull supporter for bringing stage 2 pokemon to the bench... i dig in the old archie's swampert/greninja xy deck list that was shared by the pokemon staff and tryed to mix it with the greninja break standard list, for me the best alternative to test could be:

x2 Miltank.
x2 Shaymin ex.
x3 Froakie.
x2 Frogadier.
x2 Greninja XY.
x2 Greninja Bp.
x2 Swampert.

x4 Trainers Mail.
x2 Proffesor Letter
x2 Archie's ace in the Hole
x1 Lysandre
x1 Birch
x4 Battle compressor (to discard stage 2 and supporters)
x4 Vs Seeker (to get those supporters)
x2 Energy Recycler (maybe sup. rod)
x3 Ultra Ball
x2 Dive Ball
x3 Muscle Band
x1 Sycamore
x1 AZ
x1 Xerosic
x1 Startling Megaphone
x2 Float stone
x1 Town Map

x10 Water Energy

I will test this today on TCGO to get a rating.

I spoke with the guy who piloted it. He built a rare candy Brigette deck and setup Archie turn 2 or 3. He said it seemed highly inconsistent and wouldn't likely pilot it again.

Back