Forum Reorganised

Drohn

Wild War Dance
You might have noticed that we did some reorganising on the forums today. Several forums have been moved, merged, or renamed to make it easier for members to navigate and find the right forums.

Some noticeable changes are that Entertainment, News Headlines & Everyday Life, and Gaming are now merged into Miscellaneous Discussion. The Forum Games section has become a sub-forum of this.

For the Trading Card Game the Deck Discussion has been made a sub-forum of Competitive Play so competitive topics are nicely together.

In Video Gaming the older generations have been turned into a sub-forums for the newest generation and Competitive Play has also been merged with related topics being turned into sub-forums. The XY Forum moved to the Pokémon VG area.

All competitions are now held in Online Tournaments.

This might take some getting used to, but I hope you’ll find everything much easier to navigate through with all related topics being put together.

If you have questions about the location of forums/threads you can ask them here! You can also provide feedback and share your opinion.

Mafia Memories is currently not accessible. I'll post an update if that changes.

http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/forum-mafia-memories

The forum has been added back. :)

I have to say, I'm not a fan of the new combined "Fanart" section. The galleries in the old Art and Fake Creation galleries were absolutely different enough to warrant distinct subforums.

Drohn said:
This might take some getting used to, but I hope you’ll find everything much easier to navigate through with all related topics being put together.
I have to say...this is absolutely not the case. Now everything looks like a mess -- this is most seen in the new Miscellaneous Discussion and the Fanart subforum; especially in Fanart with five (that's right, five sticky threads) in Fanart. There's no reason for all of them, so (to start) I'd propose the General Discussion threads be unstickied. I just don't see how clumping (slightly) related posts makes things more simple.

Many members who frequented one did not frequent the other, and no amount of intermixing will change that. Additionally, the types of work produced in each of the two forums were very distinct...and having everything mixed together creates a melting pot that absolutely doesn't blend well. Only looking for art threads? Be prepared to skip over more than half of the threads on the current page. Fake cards to your liking? Go through the threads with a fine-tooth comb.

I had threads in both the Art forum and Faking forum (as did others), and now I have to sort through twice as many threads in order to maintain them. Compounding the issue is that threads which existed on the first page (and thus easily seen) are now buried under threads which don't interest half the "Fanart" member-base.

Truthfully, I don't believe a full subforum for "Tutorials & Resources" is necessary -- a stickied thread would be enough for tutorials/resources, as it already existed in the Fake Creations subforum, but again you'd have the risk of intermixing and having to sort through what you're looking for (art tutorials vs faking tutorials). Most of all, though, a tutorial/resource subforum just wouldn't be used as much...the last post in the Fake Creations Resources and Help thread was from almost two weeks ago, and the closest thing in the old Art forum (the Artistic Inquiries thread) was from over a month and a half ago. Having a separate subforum wouldn't create any more use...

I guess the point I'm trying to make here is that having separate subforums for Art and Faking would solve the above problems. Not only would it negate the necessity to sort through twice as many threads to find what you're looking for, but it would also be a better subforum option than the new "Artist Tutorials & Resources."

This part is just a little personal (and minor), but the Faking community is pretty much held together by just a few websites now, including deviantART...and PokéBeach. Many members here came primarily due to the Fake Creations subforum. The recent changes could very well push fakers to flock to other websites which better recognize faking as its own entity.

Edit: One more thing...I've always wondered why the Anime/Manga subforum was placed above the Creative Works subforum. Both Fanart and Fanfiction have more activity (more posts, threads, etc) than Anime, yet Anime is always placed above Creative Works. While I'd agree that the PokéBeach fanbase comes primarily for TCG and VG, the numbers don't lie...I'd be willing to bet more come for Art than Anime discussion. I think Art should be moved up, with Anime (the least populated subforum) bumped down.

It might not be my place to say this, but seeing as you seem really upset about the art threads CMP, I just want to mention that some of these changes may be temporary and you shouldn't be too worried about things. Some changes will probably happen for the better, and some things might stay how they are right now because that's how we want them, but I think I can safely say that things will be more well organized after we've had this setup for a while.

MtheW said:
It might not be my place to say this, but seeing as you seem really upset about the art threads CMP, I just want to mention that some of these changes may be temporary and you shouldn't be too worried about things. Some changes will probably happen for the better, and some things might stay how they are right now because that's how we want them, but I think I can safely say that things will be more well organized after we've had this setup for a while.
Glad to hear. Thanks, MtheW. I'm not so much upset by the changes as I am dumbfounded...plus I had a lot to say! My main reason for posting was to give feedback in hopes that further changes could be made...ones that would accomplish the staff's goals while giving a member's perspective.

I remember going through similar changes as a staff member, and things got moved around once members shared their input.

oh whoa everything moved in the night. brb blinking

...yeah. Other than what CMP said about splitting arts and fake cards (since they're different enough to warrant separation), I do not see much issue. In sharp contrasts to other forum reorganizations we've had in the past, with this one it's actually really easy for me to find stuff, so nice job.

CMP said:
I have to say, I'm not a fan of the new combined "Fanart" section. The galleries in the old Art and Fake Creation galleries were absolutely different enough to warrant distinct subforums.

Drohn said:
I have to say...this is absolutely not the case. Now everything looks like a mess -- this is most seen in the new Miscellaneous Discussion and the Fanart subforum; especially in Fanart with five (that's right, five sticky threads) in Fanart. There's no reason for all of them, so (to start) I'd propose the General Discussion threads be unstickied. I just don't see how clumping (slightly) related posts makes things more simple.

Many members who frequented one did not frequent the other, and no amount of intermixing will change that. Additionally, the types of work produced in each of the two forums were very distinct...and having everything mixed together creates a melting pot that absolutely doesn't blend well. Only looking for art threads? Be prepared to skip over more than half of the threads on the current page. Fake cards to your liking? Go through the threads with a fine-tooth comb.

I had threads in both the Art forum and Faking forum (as did others), and now I have to sort through twice as many threads in order to maintain them. Compounding the issue is that threads which existed on the first page (and thus easily seen) are now buried under threads which don't interest half the "Fanart" member-base.

Truthfully, I don't believe a full subforum for "Tutorials & Resources" is necessary -- a stickied thread would be enough for tutorials/resources, as it already existed in the Fake Creations subforum, but again you'd have the risk of intermixing and having to sort through what you're looking for (art tutorials vs faking tutorials). Most of all, though, a tutorial/resource subforum just wouldn't be used as much...the last post in the Fake Creations Resources and Help thread was from almost two weeks ago, and the closest thing in the old Art forum (the Artistic Inquiries thread) was from over a month and a half ago. Having a separate subforum wouldn't create any more use...

I guess the point I'm trying to make here is that having separate subforums for Art and Faking would solve the above problems. Not only would it negate the necessity to sort through twice as many threads to find what you're looking for, but it would also be a better subforum option than the new "Artist Tutorials & Resources."

This part is just a little personal (and minor), but the Faking community is pretty much held together by just a few websites now, including deviantART...and PokéBeach. Many members here came primarily due to the Fake Creations subforum. The recent changes could very well push fakers to flock to other websites which better recognize faking as its own entity.

Edit: One more thing...I've always wondered why the Anime/Manga subforum was placed above the Creative Works subforum. Both Fanart and Fanfiction have more activity (more posts, threads, etc) than Anime, yet Anime is always placed above Creative Works. While I'd agree that the PokéBeach fanbase comes primarily for TCG and VG, the numbers don't lie...I'd be willing to bet more come for Art than Anime discussion. I think Art should be moved up, with Anime (the least populated subforum) bumped down.

Great feedback, we will consider the fan art / fake card separation tonight when we have our meeting.

And as for anime... well, "you'll see."

Fan Fakes has its own Forum Section again. We're currently working to move the threads. If you have a Fan Fake Thread you can PM the name/link to me to get it moved faster.

Soooo glad the fake cards arn't in the 'fanart' section anymore...that was a terrible idea IMO. Fourm looks OK, but I think the old layout is better and this one will take some getting used to. I don't really think change was necessary. :(

Change is always hard, but feedback is still welcome! Just think before you post to decide whether a complaint you have is legitimate (like CMP's post above) or just because you don't want to have to get used to something new.

I do like the new version. IMO the old one was a bit better, but this one ain't bad at all.

First off I was a little confused though, but then I figured out the whole thing. ;P

Drohn said:
Fan Fakes has its own Forum Section again. We're currently working to move the threads. If you have a Fan Fake Thread you can PM the name/link to me to get it moved faster.

tumblr_mi4pvvD1yF1qihx7io1_400.gif

The old Video Game tournament section had a link to the rules for hosting and joining video game tournaments in them. With the fusion of TCG and VG tournaments into one forum, this has been lost, and I think it would be to the benefit of the video game players if it was added back into the new header.

With the merger the rules for creating and participating in tournaments will be revised and rewritten. They will be added to the forum when this is finished. Until then [smod]unsheathed[/smod] can answer all the questions you might have regarding VG tournaments.

I have a request. Could you add "TCG" to the Competitive Discussion forum? When I browse for new posts, I see a thread like Klinklang with the forum heading "Competitive Discussion" and I can't tell if it's for VG or TCG at first glance.

Okay, so I just saw that X/Y does have "X/Y Competitive Discussion", but I don't understand why the TCG can't have it, too.

I don't think it's a good idea to have the Chillax Zone as a sub forum of Online Competitions. OC needs as much exposure as it can get to draw in more members. The threads in there don't have a chance of appearing on the forum index for any length of time with the Chillax Zone covering it up.

Kevin Garrett said:
I don't think it's a good idea to have the Chillax Zone as a sub forum of Online Competitions. OC needs as much exposure as it can get to draw in more members. The threads in there don't have a chance of appearing on the forum index for any length of time with the Chillax Zone covering it up.

While I do agree with you (Chillax Zone should not be under OC), what do you mean by 'The threads in there don't have a chance of appearing on the forum index'? The sub forum should be its own separate forum, not interfering with that threads appear in the index for OC.

#MoveChillaxZoneBackUnderMiscTopics
OR
#MCZBUMT

Get it trending, people

Back