• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Flareon-EX Deck!

This is the Flarecanion deck I made I have space for two still which would fit the 2-2 Octillery line If you have 1 Shaymin then you can get another Flareon or another trainer. The way this deck works is that you want baby Volcanion as your active early game. You want to try to get 2 Volcanion EX's on the bench and 1-2 Flareons. Baby Volcanion will never have more than 1 energy on him because his purpose in life is to set up Flareon. I used Scorched earth just in case I didn't have Volcanion EX set up yet to discard my fire energy, and it gives me some draw power if I don't have Shaymin. If things go well first attack should be 80dmg from baby Volcanion. Flareon and someone else gets energy. Second attack turn Flareon should be able to attack by using his ability and attaching an energy. I generally don't yet I let baby Volcanion do more work and sometimes pull off another 80dmg attack. Third attack turn is usually when I pull Flareon up.
Pokemon 13

Volcanion EX x3
Volcanion x4
Flareon x3
Hoopa x1
Shaymin x2

Trainer 35

Professor Sycamore - x4
Fisherman - x1
Hex Maniac – x1
Lysandre – x1
Judge – x2
Pokemon Ranger – x1
Ultra Ball – x4
Trainers Mail – x4
VS Seeker – x4
Escape Rope – x2
Float Stone – x2
Professor's Letter – x1
Super Rod – x1
Fighting Fury Belt – x2
Weakness Policy – x1
Energy Retrieval – x1
Stadium (Scorched Earth)– x3

Energy 10

Fire - x10

2 Team Magma's Camerupt (DCR 2)
3 Flareon-EX (GEN 128)
2 Team Magma's Numel (DCR 1)
2 Remoraid (BKT 32)
1 Octillery (BKT 33)
10 Fire Energy (GEN 76)
2 Lysandre (FLF 104)
2 Escape Rope (PCL 127)
1 Team Rocket's Handiwork (FCO 112)
1 Super Rod (BKT 149)
1 Giovanni's Scheme (BKT 162)
3 Trainers' Mail (ROS 92)
3 Fighting Fury Belt (BKP 99)
3 N (FCO 105)
4 Scorched Earth (FCO 110)
2 Ultra Ball (FCO 113)
2 Switch (KSS 38)
4 Max Elixir (BKP 102)
2 Evosoda (XY 116)
2 Level Ball (AOR 76)
1 Fisherman (BKT 136)
1 Team Flare Grunt (XY 129)
3 Professor Sycamore (BKP 107)

This deck with 2 Volcanion EX and 1 Hoopa EX and possibly another Octillery is what I'll be playing, testing has gone really well. Speed and Consistency is really doing its thing in this deck! Will write up final list in the upcoming month. (Hopefully!) Replacing 2 Scorched Earth with Parallel City.
You may want to keep a Scorched Earth, as it gets you 2 cards and sets up for Baby Volcanion.

This is the Flarecanion deck I made I have space for two still which would fit the 2-2 Octillery line If you have 1 Shaymin then you can get another Flareon or another trainer. The way this deck works is that you want baby Volcanion as your active early game. You want to try to get 2 Volcanion EX's on the bench and 1-2 Flareons. Baby Volcanion will never have more than 1 energy on him because his purpose in life is to set up Flareon. I used Scorched earth just in case I didn't have Volcanion EX set up yet to discard my fire energy, and it gives me some draw power if I don't have Shaymin. If things go well first attack should be 80dmg from baby Volcanion. Flareon and someone else gets energy. Second attack turn Flareon should be able to attack by using his ability and attaching an energy. I generally don't yet I let baby Volcanion do more work and sometimes pull off another 80dmg attack. Third attack turn is usually when I pull Flareon up.
Pokemon 13

Volcanion EX x3
Volcanion x4
Flareon x3
Hoopa x1
Shaymin x2

Trainer 35

Professor Sycamore - x4
Fisherman - x1
Hex Maniac – x1
Lysandre – x1
Judge – x2
Pokemon Ranger – x1
Ultra Ball – x4
Trainers Mail – x4
VS Seeker – x4
Escape Rope – x2
Float Stone – x2
Professor's Letter – x1
Super Rod – x1
Fighting Fury Belt – x2
Weakness Policy – x1
Energy Retrieval – x1
Stadium (Scorched Earth)– x3

Energy 10

Fire - x10
Nice list! But what I noticed after further studying the cards is that, Camerupt gets me the cards on to Flareon before my turn ends while Volcanion will do it after it ends so I cannot Flash Fire until next turn. I guess this can be considered a drawback but Camerupt uses his ability while Volcanion uses his attack, for that reason in order to avoid being Garb'd I'll most likely run 3 Lysandre, because I really have to shut him down before it becomes a major hurdle for this ability-dependent deck.

I haven't really played against Garb, but I don't think he is much of an issue other than building up Flareon is slowed. I don't think I have played a game where I didn't get Hoopa EX turn 1 if he was in my deck. Once I have Hoopa EX I can get the rest of my bench set up. Hoopa EX also means that if needed I can get a Shaymin turn 1. I think Garb isn't ready until turn 2 unless they Wally it.

I like your edits, though I wonder about Team Rocket's Handiwork. Is there a reason for it in this deck? Maybe I'm not seeing it...

If you're going to run a "one-of" in that spot, why not Pokémon Ranger, Hex Maniac, or even a Safeguard Carbink for unexpected situations?

Last edited:
I like your edits, though I wonder about Team Rocket's Handiwork. Is there a reason for it in this deck? Maybe I'm not seeing it...

If you're going to run a "one-of" in that spot, why not Pokémon Ranger, Hex Maniac, or even a Safeguard Carbink for unexpected situations?

Team Rocket's Handiwork belongs in a mil deck with Avalung

I haven't really played against Garb, but I don't think he is much of an issue other than building up Flareon is slowed. I don't think I have played a game where I didn't get Hoopa EX turn 1 if he was in my deck. Once I have Hoopa EX I can get the rest of my bench set up. Hoopa EX also means that if needed I can get a Shaymin turn 1. I think Garb isn't ready until turn 2 unless they Wally it.
Right. Nobody would Wally a Garbodor unless they had a legitimate reason to do so.

Thanks for the compliment @leeanna36! Yeah, Garbodor will be the only thing slowing me down if it does get set up. Although, I will have the option to charge a benched Flareon-EX with Max Elixir and then wait for a Lysandre, the second that ability lock turns off, there will be energy flying across Pokemon! ;)

Shaymin EX is not needed to win tournaments. The 2nd place deck at Worlds this year had no EX to begin with. (It was Greninja BREAK.) Other decks that can do without Shaymin include Hound/Bunny mill along with some other things.

Shaymin EX is not needed to win tournaments. The 2nd place deck at Worlds this year had no EX to begin with. (It was Greninja BREAK.) Other decks that can do without Shaymin include Hound/Bunny mill along with some other things.
I agree, plus with the loss of Super Scoop Up and AZ it is harder to get Shaymin-EX out of play.

Every deck has to have something holding up consistency. You conveniently ignored the fact that Shaymin doesn't even fit in those decks. Shaymin decks=fast. Mill and Greninja=slow.
That's the format. We have slow and annoying, and fast and destructive.

You guys have turned this from deck help to pressure somebody to spend money when they don't want to. If he doesn't want to use Shaymins because they are expensive, respect his opinion. Also, sometimes Octillery can be way better than shaymin late game when you get hit by an N down to one card and can easily draw out of it.

As a reintroduced player to the game, I myself can relate to FierySplash. I can not see the point in spending $60+ on a card. A cheap alternative may be slower, or less effective, but I have no plans of grinding for Worlds. So cheap alternatives are always good in my book, especially when these pieces of cardboard are poor investments ;)

I am following this post as to see the evolution of this deck and ideas that come from it. I plan on playing a similar deck and any tips on this post are tips for me as well lol

gg

As a reintroduced player to the game, I myself can relate to FierySplash. I can not see the point in spending $60+ on a card. A cheap alternative may be slower, or less effective, but I have no plans of grinding for Worlds. So cheap alternatives are always good in my book, especially when these pieces of cardboard are poor investments ;)

I am following this post as to see the evolution of this deck and ideas that come from it. I plan on playing a similar deck and any tips on this post are tips for me as well lol

gg

The best alternative is Octillery which you can get two of for less than half the price of one shaymin. Which you can take any deck and and remove shaymin and two other cards and you have a cheaper alternative. or you could just run a 1-1 line of octillery. Shaymin and Octillery give you that extra draw power, and can turn a game around. I have also seen decks without either win local tournaments. Ideally though if you can get one or the other it is always good to have them in your deck.

I agree, plus with the loss of Super Scoop Up and AZ it is harder to get Shaymin-EX out of play.

Seen people use the stadium that drops your bench to 3 to get rid of them. I have also attacked with him to get him off the bench to use again.

Last edited:
The best alternative is Octillery which you can get two of for less than half the price of one shaymin. Which you can take any deck and and remove shaymin and two other cards and you have a cheaper alternative. or you could just run a 1-1 line of octillery. Shaymin and Octillery give you that extra draw power, and can turn a game around. I have also seen decks without either win local tournaments. Ideally though if you can get one or the other it is always good to have them in your deck.

Seen people use the stadium that drops your bench to 3 to get rid of them. I have also attacked with him to get him off the bench to use again.

I appreciate the advice, mate. Any advice that points me in the right direction is always appreciated. :cool:

Pokemon - 12

3 Team Magma's Camerupt (DCR 2)
1 Octillery (BKT 33)
3 Flareon-EX (GEN 128)
3 Team Magma's Numel (DCR 1)
2 Remoraid (BKT 32)

Energy - 10

10 Fire Energy (GEN 76)

Trainer - 36

1 Fisherman (BKT 136)
1 Team Flare Grunt (XY 129)
2 Switch (KSS 38)
1 Giovanni's Scheme (BKT 162)
3 Professor Sycamore (BKP 107)
3 Fighting Fury Belt (BKP 99)
2 Lysandre (FLF 104)
4 Max Elixir (BKP 102)
2 Level Ball (AOR 76)
2 Escape Rope (PCL 127)
1 Super Rod (BKT 149)
2 N (FCO 105)
1 Team Rocket's Handiwork (FCO 112)
4 Scorched Earth (FCO 110)
2 Evosoda (XY 116)
3 Trainers' Mail (ROS 92)
2 Ultra Ball (FCO 113)

Flareon Deck so far I've left two spots open, possibly for the two Volcanion EX and how about Entei AOR 15?

Is this the version of the deck you are using right now? If not can you post the edited deck list? Im hoping for the list so I can go shopping tomorrow lol

As a reintroduced playyer to the game, I myself can relate to FierySplash. I can not see the point in spending $60+ on a card. A cheap alternative may be slower, or less effective, but I have no plans of grinding for Worlds. So cheap alternatives are always good in my book, especially when these pieces of cardboard are poor investments ;)

gg
While the card is ridiculously expensive, Octillery doesn't fill the role all that well. I feel that Flareon is supposed to be fast, and not sacrifice speed if that can be avoided. I will concede that some decks need consistency over speed, simply because either A: speed sets them up too fast, or B: they are too slow to afford not having consistency. These are Octillery decks. Yes, some decks don't need any Pokemon-based draw, but I can't think of any non-Pokemon-based draw decks other than mill. If you know of any, enlighten me.

Is this the version of the deck you are using right now? If not can you post the edited deck list? Im hoping for the list so I can go shopping tomorrow lol
Basically this list but with 2 Volcanion EX and 1 Hoopa EX also -1 Camerupt -1 Numel. And some other supporter changes.

Back