• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Flareon-EX Deck!

FierySplash

Aspiring Trainer
Pokemon - 12

3 Team Magma's Camerupt (DCR 2)
1 Octillery (BKT 33)
3 Flareon-EX (GEN 128)
3 Team Magma's Numel (DCR 1)
2 Remoraid (BKT 32)

Energy - 10

10 Fire Energy (GEN 76)

Trainer - 36

1 Fisherman (BKT 136)
1 Team Flare Grunt (XY 129)
2 Switch (KSS 38)
1 Giovanni's Scheme (BKT 162)
3 Professor Sycamore (BKP 107)
3 Fighting Fury Belt (BKP 99)
2 Lysandre (FLF 104)
4 Max Elixir (BKP 102)
2 Level Ball (AOR 76)
2 Escape Rope (PCL 127)
1 Super Rod (BKT 149)
2 N (FCO 105)
1 Team Rocket's Handiwork (FCO 112)
4 Scorched Earth (FCO 110)
2 Evosoda (XY 116)
3 Trainers' Mail (ROS 92)
2 Ultra Ball (FCO 113)

Flareon Deck so far I've left two spots open, possibly for the two Volcanion EX and how about Entei AOR 15?

Last edited:
Assuming this is for the current format (XY-SSG), I'd make the following changes:

Drop:
-1 Octillery
-2 Remoraid
-3 Team Magma's Camerupt
-3 Team Magma's Numel
-1 Team Rocket's Handiwork
-1 Fisherman
-1 Team Flare Grunt
-1 Lysandre
-1 Professor Sycamore
-2 Evosoda
-2 in any combination of Switch and Escape Rope, depending on personal preference
Total removed: 18

Add:
+2 Shaymin-EX RSK
+1 Entei (14) AO
+3 Fiery Torch FLF
+3 Blacksmith FLF
+1 AZ PHF
+1 Skyla BKP
+4 VS Seeker PHF
+2 Ultra Ball FCO
+1 Trainers' Mail RSK
Total added: 17

Octillery may be cheaper, but in Flareon, you need the added deck space and burst draw power of Shaymin. Fiery Torch and Ultra Ball can be used to power up Blacksmith, which lets you achieve your goal of a T1/2 Blaze Ball. Flareon's main strength is the speed with which it can be set up (with the right build). Maxed out VS Seeker and Trainers' Mail are necessary to get the most use out of your draw support and Energy acceleration. Skyla is a must in most decks, by giving you the versatility to search out Stadiums/Ultra Balls/Switches when necessary. Entei gives you a non-EX attacker, for dealing with Regice/Carbink.

~SS

Assuming this is for the current format (XY-SSG), I'd make the following changes:

Drop:
-1 Octillery
-2 Remoraid
-3 Team Magma's Camerupt
-3 Team Magma's Numel
-1 Fisherman
-1 Team Flare Grunt
-1 Lysandre
-1 Professor Sycamore
-2 Evosoda
-2 in any combination of Switch and Escape Rope, depending on personal preference
Total removed: 18

Add:
+2 Shaymin-EX RSK
+1 Entei (14) AO
+3 Fiery Torch FLF
+3 Blacksmith FLF
+1 AZ PHF
+1 Skyla BKP
+4 VS Seeker PHF
+2 Ultra Ball FCO
+1 Trainers' Mail RSK
Total added: 17

Octillery may be cheaper, but in Flareon, you need the added deck space and burst draw power of Shaymin. Fiery Torch and Ultra Ball can be used to power up Blacksmith, which lets you achieve your goal of a T1/2 Blaze Ball. Flareon's main strength is the speed with which it can be set up (with the right build). Maxed out VS Seeker and Trainers' Mail are necessary to get the most use out of your draw support and Energy acceleration. Skyla is a must in most decks, by giving you the versatility to search out Stadiums/Ultra Balls/Switches when necessary. Entei gives you a non-EX attacker, for dealing with Regice/Carbink.

~SS

This is for the next rotation and I will not be picking up Shaymins because they will be rotating out anyways. Which makes them harder to sell or trade, also I find that it becomes annoying when your opponent Lysandre's that Shaymin out for a free two prize cards while Octillery is less painful as it gives up one. About the Entei, I will definitely try it out to see how it does against Anti-EX Pokemon.

P.S. Keeping it more on the Budget side of things as this will be my first deck that I will actually be taking to tournaments.

This is for the next rotation and I will not be picking up Shaymins because they will be rotating out anyways. Which makes them harder to sell or trade, also I find that it becomes annoying when your opponent Lysandre's that Shaymin out for a free two prize cards while Octillery is less painful as it gives up one. About the Entei, I will definitely try it out to see how it does against Anti-EX Pokemon.

P.S. Keeping it more on the Budget side of things as this will be my first deck that I will actually be taking to tournaments.
When would rotation occur getting rid of ROS? Just start getting into TCG and not sure how frequent rotations are.

When would rotation occur getting rid of ROS? Just start getting into TCG and not sure how frequent rotations are.

Rotation happens once a year, Shaymin will rotate next Sept unless its reprinted.. and it won't be. The above advice about not using Shaymin because it'll rotate (eventually) is terrible, if you plan to be competitive, you will need Shaymin's.

Rotation happens once a year, Shaymin will rotate next Sept unless its reprinted.. and it won't be. The above advice about not using Shaymin because it'll rotate (eventually) is terrible, if you plan to be competitive, you will need Shaymin's.

My deck works better with Octillery, so that is why I am going with Octillery.

My deck works better with Octillery, so that is why I am going with Octillery.

Best of luck at your first tournament. There's a reason Shaymin is the best card in the game, most expensive and most desirable. Hopefully your experience at tournaments will help learn the strengths and weaknesses of your deck. I run a Flareon deck and I highly suggest you make room for Volcanion and Volcanion EX from Steam Siege, Volcanion is far better than Team Magma's Camerupt.

Best of luck at your first tournament. There's a reason Shaymin is the best card in the game, most expensive and most desirable. Hopefully your experience at tournaments will help learn the strengths and weaknesses of your deck. I run a Flareon deck and I highly suggest you make room for Volcanion and Volcanion EX from Steam Siege, Volcanion is far better than Team Magma's Camerupt.
Thanks, but I asked for advice about my deck and you kind of turned it into a "What can replace Shaymin Thread".

I've considered something like this. I agree, drop the Team Magma cards for Volcanion EX and maybe even a couple of regular Volcanion's. Maybe even get another Flareon EX since this is your main attacker. If you're really relying on Octillery for its draw power, I would at least double up on that one because if your one Octillery is prized or is knocked out you have a problem. Lugia EX could be a good back up attacker too if you need/want one.

Shaymin EX is not being rotated this year (so IF you can get it, use it, saying nothing more about it) but if I remember right Blacksmith and Fiery Torch are being rotated out, so you will want to replace those if this is for upcoming standard. A couple more Ultra Balls wouldn't hurt, nor would it hurt to get at least two VS Seekers if you can, in which case you can easily run just one Lysandre as my fairy deck does. There are any number of energy retrieving cards to replace Blacksmith though.

To me the trainer list is too broad. Why Escape Rope? Why Level Ball? Why Team Rocket's Handiwork?

A couple more fire energy might not be a bad idea. Flareon EX needs that to increase it's damage output but in order to use Scorched Earth a fire energy has to be discarded from hand. In fact assuming you have Octillery out I would question if you need Scorched Earth. You don't want to deck yourself after all.

I've considered something like this. I agree, drop the Team Magma cards for Volcanion EX and maybe even a couple of regular Volcanion's. Maybe even get another Flareon EX since this is your main attacker. If you're really relying on Octillery for its draw power, I would at least double up on that one because if your one Octillery is prized or is knocked out you have a problem. Lugia EX could be a good back up attacker too if you need/want one.

Shaymin EX is not being rotated this year (so IF you can get it, use it, saying nothing more about it) but if I remember right Blacksmith and Fiery Torch are being rotated out, so you will want to replace those if this is for upcoming standard. A couple more Ultra Balls wouldn't hurt, nor would it hurt to get at least two VS Seekers if you can, in which case you can easily run just one Lysandre as my fairy deck does. There are any number of energy retrieving cards to replace Blacksmith though.

To me the trainer list is too broad. Why Escape Rope? Why Level Ball? Why Team Rocket's Handiwork?

A couple more fire energy might not be a bad idea. Flareon EX needs that to increase it's damage output but in order to use Scorched Earth a fire energy has to be discarded from hand. In fact assuming you have Octillery out I would question if you need Scorched Earth. You don't want to deck yourself after all.
I'll be leaving the Octillery for now and going with Hoopa to draw those Volcanions and Flareons. Might pick it up later, I'll see how it goes.

Last edited:
Look man, whether you like it or not, Shaymin is absolutely necessary. If you don't play it in Flareon, you won't get desirable tournament finishes. That's reality.

Look man, whether you like it or not, Shaymin is absolutely necessary. If you don't play it in Flareon, you won't get desirable tournament finishes. That's reality.
Most Flareon decks don't run Shaymin and do well. Again, I asked for tweaks to this deck and everyone is telling me about Shaymin. o_O

Most Flareon decks don't run Shaymin and do well. Again, I asked for tweaks to this deck and everyone is telling me about Shaymin. o_O
What I've decided to do is
+1 HoopaEX
+2 VolcanionEX
+2 Baby Volcanion
- Camerput Line (Slows setup)
Keeping the Octillery Line for consistent support through all phases of the game.

Well if you're asking for improvements of course people are going to recommend and insist on the inclusion of the best card in the format. If you asked me to pick between a Flareon EX list with Shaymin and one without, I'll pick the one with Shaymin 11 times out of ten. That being said, its won't be impossible for you to win matches it just won't be nearly as fast or consistent as you'd like.

Some suggestions for the current list...
-1 Team Flare Grunt
-2 Evosoda

+1 Trainers' Mail (consistency)
+1 Professor Sycamore (you need more draw support)
+2 Ultra Ball (if you're playing Hoopa you should max this out)

Well if you're asking for improvements of course people are going to recommend and insist on the inclusion of the best card in the format. If you asked me to pick between a Flareon EX list with Shaymin and one without, I'll pick the one with Shaymin 11 times out of ten. That being said, its won't be impossible for you to win matches it just won't be nearly as fast or consistent as you'd like.

Some suggestions for the current list...
-1 Team Flare Grunt
-2 Evosoda

+1 Trainers' Mail (consistency)
+1 Professor Sycamore (you need more draw support)
+2 Ultra Ball (if you're playing Hoopa you should max this out)
Won't be dumping $80 on cards until I start playing serious Comp. Thanks for the suggestions.

Won't be dumping $80 on cards until I start playing serious Comp. Thanks for the suggestions.
If you want help with a deck, why would you post on a deck help section when you only plan to play for fun with it? You mentioned earlier that Octillery is played in a lot of Flareon decks. If this was true, you should've asked yourself: how many games did that deck win?

I'm pretty sure the new rotation is keeping primal clash and forward. Which would mean it would be keeping ROS.

Back