• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Alt. Format First-Timer: Casual Mewtwo EX/Wobbuffet/Bats

Kroppinator

Aspiring Trainer
Hey guys! I'm a beginner casual Pokemon player and could use some help with my deck. What should I purchase to make it stronger and more functional (as cheap as possible)?

Decklist:

(15) Pokemon:

• 2 Mewtwo EX
  • 3 Zubat
  • 3 Golbat
  • 3 Crobat
  • 4 Wobbuffet

(33) Trainers:

• 4 Dimension Valley
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 4 Super Scoop Up
  • 2 Professor's Letter
  • 2 Muscle Band
  • 2 Escape Rope
  • 2 Pokemon Communication
  • 1 Energy Retrieval
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 2 N
  • 2 Shauna
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 1 AZ
  • 1 Caitlin
  • 1 VS Seeker

(12) Energy:

• 10 Psychic Energy
  • 2 Double Colorless Energy

In what format are you going to play the deck?
Standard or Expanded?
Because I see a lot of expanded ( or even some legacy cards if I am not mistaken) cards in your list.
Could you perhaps also elaborate on what mewtwo ex you are using since there are multiple mewtwo ex cards?
Without an answer to these questions it is probably a bit hard for people to give you proper advice.

Because of this I can only give a few very general pointers.

I think you can do with way less energy. 12 is quite a lot for a deck where with dimension valley in play wobbufet attacks for a single energy and bats attack for free if in the active. Also, since wobbufet's damage relies on the amount of damage counters on the defending pokémon, I recommend to find some room for 3-4 bursting balloons. It is a god-sent for wobbubat decks.

In what format are you going to play the deck?
Standard or Expanded?
Because I see a lot of expanded ( or even some legacy cards if I am not mistaken) cards in your list.
Could you perhaps also elaborate on what mewtwo ex you are using since there are multiple mewtwo ex cards?
Without an answer to these questions it is probably a bit hard for people to give you proper advice.

Because of this I can only give a few very general pointers.

I think you can do with way less energy. 12 is quite a lot for a deck where with dimension valley in play wobbufet attacks for a single energy and bats attack for free if in the active. Also, since wobbufet's damage relies on the amount of damage counters on the defending pokémon, I recommend to find some room for 3-4 bursting balloons. It is a god-sent for wobbubat decks.

Hey! Thanks for the reply, I really need the tips. I am not specifically playing a format, but if I were it would be expanded. This is the Battle Arena Mewtwo EX....Xball, Psydrive.

Hmm...I don't recall having ever seen wobbubats in expanded, it really is more of a standard-format deck in my experience.
But still, some ideas for you:

+ 4 bursting balloon. they fuel wobbufet's damage and/or help with the pricetrade.
+ 1 N. 3x N is good.
- 1 Caitlin. it's not that great.
+ 1/2 Colress. Colress is great for lategame big fresh hands.
-2 Shauna. N gives you more cards early game, and Colress/Sycamore/Juniper gives more in the late to mid-game.
+ 3 vs seeker. great card, 3 is the minimum to run, maxed out with 4 copies is almost always even better.
- 1/2 professor's letter. With decent drawpower it shouldnt be needed.
- 2 pokemon communication. if I am not mistaken this is a card that's only valid in legacy/unlimited, but not in expanded.
- If your budget allows it, grab an ACE-spec card for your deck, Computer Search is probably the best albeit quite expensive.
- I take it you run muscle band mainly to get bonus damage against EX pokemon. In expanded you could run Silver Bangle ( + 30 dmg vs EX but only vs EX).
- 1 energy retrieval. It's a situational card in my opinion and a single copy won't do anything but clutter your hand most of the time.
- 1 escape rope. a single copy should be enough, if retreat worries you remove 2 psychic energy and replace them with mystery energies. that gives wobbufets free retreat, bats already retreat for free, and mewtwo should be ready to simply hit things hard.

Hope this gives you some ideas :)

Hmm...I don't recall having ever seen wobbubats in expanded, it really is more of a standard-format deck in my experience.
But still, some ideas for you:

+ 4 bursting balloon. they fuel wobbufet's damage and/or help with the pricetrade.
+ 1 N. 3x N is good.
- 1 Caitlin. it's not that great.
+ 1/2 Colress. Colress is great for lategame big fresh hands.
-2 Shauna. N gives you more cards early game, and Colress/Sycamore/Juniper gives more in the late to mid-game.
+ 3 vs seeker. great card, 3 is the minimum to run, maxed out with 4 copies is almost always even better.
- 1/2 professor's letter. With decent drawpower it shouldnt be needed.
- 2 pokemon communication. if I am not mistaken this is a card that's only valid in legacy/unlimited, but not in expanded.
- If your budget allows it, grab an ACE-spec card for your deck, Computer Search is probably the best albeit quite expensive.
- I take it you run muscle band mainly to get bonus damage against EX pokemon. In expanded you could run Silver Bangle ( + 30 dmg vs EX but only vs EX).
- 1 energy retrieval. It's a situational card in my opinion and a single copy won't do anything but clutter your hand most of the time.
- 1 escape rope. a single copy should be enough, if retreat worries you remove 2 psychic energy and replace them with mystery energies. that gives wobbufets free retreat, bats already retreat for free, and mewtwo should be ready to simply hit things hard.

Hope this gives you some ideas :)

Wow, thank you! Extremely informative. I like the way you explain things. I'll try to make some of those changes ASAP. Thanks again :)

your deck is awfully close to being a standard deck.
I probably recommend that you try to tweak it just that little bit extra more.
as it will suit you in the long run...
and you should be able to play more opponents who are familiar with your cards.
and you will likely be able to play in many more tournaments (even for practice).
Increase the N and Shauna counts... Lysandre also.
mix in a level ball, evosoda, etc...

its hard to find opponents playing older cards.
and I think for you.. even as a casual player, its better to get current.
and you'll increase your knowledge of the various decks/cards/strategies in play.
good luck.

Back