• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard First Deck: Greninja GX/Alolan Ninetales GX

Michael Boro

Hardytack
Hello Everyone!

I've been browsing Pokebeach for a while but decided to finally dive into the forums with everyone! Today I would love some feedback on the first real deck I've built. I'll put the list first and explain some of the cards after. (Ps. Yeah I would love a Tapu Lele in here but wow that thing is just impossible to pull.)

Pokemon
Froakie (Forbidden Light 21) x2
Frogadier (Forbidden Light 23) x2
Greninja GX (Forbidden Light 24) x2
Alolan Vulpix (Guardians Rising 21) x3
Alolan Ninetales (Burning Shadows 28) x2
Alolan Ninetales GX (Guardians Rising 22) x1
Alolan Sandshrew (Guardians Rising 19) x2
Alolan Sandslash (Guardians Rising 20) x2
Oranguru (Sun & Moon 113) x1
Type: Null (Ultra Prism 115) x1
Silvally GX (Crimson Invasion 90) x1

Supporters
Guzma x3
Cynthia x3
Sycamore x2
Lana x1
Lillie x1
Judge x2
Accerola x1

Items
Ultra Ball x4
Field Blower x1
Aqua Patch x4
Choice Band x3
Float Stone x2
Fire Memory x1

Energy
Double Colorless x4
Splash Energy x3
Water Energy x6

While testing on TCGO, I am currently 7-4. Not enough games to know for sure how great it is, but I've picked up a few key points. I seem to lack consistency. I have a total of 9 water energy but never seem to draw any despite all the draw support I have. While typing this, I realized I don't run Brooklet Hill for some reason, so I plan on adding that soon.

I put Silvally in here because my weaknesses are Grass and Metal and he will hit both with Fire Memory. Plus the energy acceleration is useful. I might have too many draw benched Pokemon though. Should I drop a Sandslash?

So far the star is oddly Normal Alolan Ninetales. Being able to wall GX Pokemon has been amazing in the matches I get put into.

I'm trying to keep in Sun/Moon forward to prepare for the future rotation, but it really is hard to play without something like Sycamore.

Anyways, sorry if I ranted a bit. Thank you for any advice I can get, I'll be happy to answer any questions about the deck and I hope you all have a great day!

Welcome to the forums!

For your first deck, I think you have a great start. I would recommend removing the following:

-1 Type: Null
-1 Silvally-GX
-1 Fire Memory

Silvally-GX offers no benefit to this deck. Greninja-GX and Alolan Ninetales-GX are not Basics so they don't gain free retreat. And only running one copy of each means you're going to struggle to get it out every game. Plus, you're only running one Fire Memory. You mentioned that you were having consistency issues. Drop these three cards and add more Greninja-GX pieces because a 2-2-2 line is not enough. Greninja-GX and Alolan Ninetales-GX have different weaknesses so if you go against a Grass-type deck then focus on your Alolan Ninetales-GX and if you go against Steel then focus on your Greninja-GX. A 1-1 Silvally-GX line with one Fire Memory does not help your matchups against those types.

I'd also recommend switching the 2-2 Alolan Sandslash line for a 2-2 Octillery line. Octillery provides much better draw support and will definitely help your consistency.

As far as Supports go, I'd ditch the Lana for another Professor Sycamore. Lana is just too passive of a Supporter and in most cases won't heal enough to warrant using it. Professor Sycamore helps dig through your deck and get Water Energy in the discard for Aqua Patch.

I'd also recommend replacing Judge with N while it's still in the format. Once rotation happens Judge will be the best hand disruption Supporter (unless we get something else) but for now N is just better.

Hope this helps!

Welcome to the forums!

For your first deck, I think you have a great start. I would recommend removing the following:

-1 Type: Null
-1 Silvally-GX
-1 Fire Memory

Silvally-GX offers no benefit to this deck. Greninja-GX and Alolan Ninetales-GX are not Basics so they don't gain free retreat. And only running one copy of each means you're going to struggle to get it out every game. Plus, you're only running one Fire Memory. You mentioned that you were having consistency issues. Drop these three cards and add more Greninja-GX pieces because a 2-2-2 line is not enough. Greninja-GX and Alolan Ninetales-GX have different weaknesses so if you go against a Grass-type deck then focus on your Alolan Ninetales-GX and if you go against Steel then focus on your Greninja-GX. A 1-1 Silvally-GX line with one Fire Memory does not help your matchups against those types.

I'd also recommend switching the 2-2 Alolan Sandslash line for a 2-2 Octillery line. Octillery provides much better draw support and will definitely help your consistency.

As far as Supports go, I'd ditch the Lana for another Professor Sycamore. Lana is just too passive of a Supporter and in most cases won't heal enough to warrant using it. Professor Sycamore helps dig through your deck and get Water Energy in the discard for Aqua Patch.

I'd also recommend replacing Judge with N while it's still in the format. Once rotation happens Judge will be the best hand disruption Supporter (unless we get something else) but for now N is just better.

Hope this helps!
Thank you! (This is the same guy, I didn't realize I made the account with my real name so I made another xD )

I've noticed you seem to be right with Silvally. The only time I ever seem to actually use it is when it's the only things I draw. I've made a few modifications since these, I'll make sure to edit the original post with updates when I get home.

With the judge, I was REALLY trying to build this deck for the next rotation. Though looking back I do run sycamore, Aqua Patch AND Splash Energy so I clearly didn't think that through. I have the octillery so I'll definitely make the swap. I was also lucky enough to trade for a 3rd Greninja as well which already replaced the Lana who I never once used successfully. (I had a full art...I reallly wanted to make it work, oh well.).

Thank you again for the advice!! I hope to keep testing and build it IRL for local tournaments soon!

Hi!

You say Lele is impossible to pull, that is not your only option, you can also buy individual cards online! I suggest TCGPlayer.com

They have the cheapest singles prices on the net!

Back