First “Obsidian Flames” Card Images Revealed!

Lol none of those cards are from Ruler of the Black Flame, except Cleffa and Eiscue ex, which were shown in the first (and so far only) reveal from Ruler of the Black Flame. Must be deliberate of course.

These reveals do confirm that there is no Clefairy or Clefable in Ruler of the Black Flame. Just a standalone Cleffa. It's a little funny that even though there is no relationship between this Cleffa and Clefairy from the Starter deck, thanks to Clefairy's inclusion the Cleffa gets to be the first numbered Psychic in this set.

Surely we'll see a bunch of reveals this Friday, and then they'll just starting trickling little bits every day or two thereafter. Full set reveal is just a little over 2 weeks away.

Last edited:
out of all of these cards, none of them seem to have much competitive viability at all. pawmot ex might be an OK option in miraidon decks, and toedscruel ex might be an OK addition to forretress decks, but outside of that there isn't much here.

so far, tera charizard ex might be the only needle-moving pokémon of this set, but we'll have to wait and see what else gets revealed. fingers crossed for some more viable cards!

yet anotherrrr set that's an EASY pass, looks like 151 is the only thing i'm spending money on this year
Personally, I'm just gonna buy the electric Tyranitar as a single. I don't feel like anything else in Obsidian Flames is worth my time

out of all of these cards, none of them seem to have much competitive viability at all. pawmot ex might be an OK option in miraidon decks, and toedscruel ex might be an OK addition to forretress decks, but outside of that there isn't much here.

so far, tera charizard ex might be the only needle-moving pokémon of this set, but we'll have to wait and see what else gets revealed. fingers crossed for some more viable cards!
I think Clefable might have some competitive viability. Using that Clefairy from I don't remember which set to set up energies, making Clefable bulkier with that card from 151 which makes stage 1s take 30 less damage, moving energies out of the attacking Clefable and then using Cheryl I guess.

There is also Tyranitar ex... I guess.

Having the set releases so close together is really throwing people off, it seems. Looks like half the people here have just completely forgotten that half of the set hasn't been revealed yet.

Oh great this set is gonna be filled with all the trash ex from the Japanese starter decks. Time to get disappointed continuously by not pulling the 1 or 2 ex worth getting just like fusion strike.
They gatta sell the trash to sell the Zards

How quickly we abandoned "switch in" and "switch out"...? Decidueye what are you doing lol
"Switch in" wording isn't used for this effect. "Switch in" is used for gusting effects, as in Boss's Orders: "Switch 1 of your opponent's Benched Pokémon with their Active Pokémon." Switching effects like this one remain the same, as in Switch: "Switch your Active Pokémon with 1 of your Benched Pokémon."

Back