final fantasy

I own all the final fantasy games except the one's for PSP and in my opinion it is one of the best if not the best game franchises of all time. Great stories in all but some have weak ending's which i can get over but the FF game i am really into now is FFA2 for the DS. Ive beatin it twice and have a team full of 99's i worked on myself but i feel like there is always more for me to do.

For me... FFXIII is a movie that occasionally bugs you to see if you're still awake. It's a great movie, but gameplay is laughably shallow. Very linear and it felt like a complete tutorial until the end. You could barely customize until near the end. Next, I didn't know that people liked X and XII. I've seen so many complaints about the gambit system primarily. X was also a very shallow experience. The characters barely felt Final-Fantasy-Esque.

As for me, I'd place VII under VI and IV. VII was revolutionary in appearance, but VI and IV had some completely unforgettable moments. VI had Kefka. Kefka was the most insanely awesome villain in FF (for me at least). He had a set out goal that he wanted to accomplish (something the later-day villains were missing) and he had exactly how to get there planned out. His goal was amazing, and he did whatever he could to get there. Also... he's a clown. That has to account for something D: IV was good for a completely different reason. Thanks to the DS version, the characters were so endearing. I was actually moved when the twins turned to stone to save the characters, for example. The voice acting really helped there in some of the cutscenes. While some VA's were cheesy and annoying, it really helped the experience.

Now, I'm afraid the FF series has gone towards the interactive-movie phase. Either that... or they just aren't very good. XI was horrible... due to reasons I don't need to mention. XII had a very poor battle system. XIII was way too linear and just boring. X was not a final fantasy game (in feel). Why can't we go back to the classic systems of old?

z-man said:
For me... FFXIII is a movie that occasionally bugs you to see if you're still awake. It's a great movie, but gameplay is laughably shallow. Very linear and it felt like a complete tutorial until the end. You could barely customize until near the end. Next, I didn't know that people liked X and XII. I've seen so many complaints about the gambit system primarily. X was also a very shallow experience. The characters barely felt Final-Fantasy-Esque.

As for me, I'd place VII under VI and IV. VII was revolutionary in appearance, but VI and IV had some completely unforgettable moments. VI had Kefka. Kefka was the most insanely awesome villain in FF (for me at least). He had a set out goal that he wanted to accomplish (something the later-day villains were missing) and he had exactly how to get there planned out. His goal was amazing, and he did whatever he could to get there. Also... he's a clown. That has to account for something D: IV was good for a completely different reason. Thanks to the DS version, the characters were so endearing. I was actually moved when the twins turned to stone to save the characters, for example. The voice acting really helped there in some of the cutscenes. While some VA's were cheesy and annoying, it really helped the experience.

Now, I'm afraid the FF series has gone towards the interactive-movie phase. Either that... or they just aren't very good. XI was horrible... due to reasons I don't need to mention. XII had a very poor battle system. XIII was way too linear and just boring. X was not a final fantasy game (in feel). Why can't we go back to the classic systems of old?

after having my VIII stolen, I was off of VG's for a while, so I missed IX, X, X-2, and XI...XIII was fairly shabby to me, the story was ok, but the fight scence graphics and the draw system totally gaytardedly broken...I've mainly only heard good things about IX, which I am borrowing and VIII, so I can play and beat again whenever I can get the time

but I'm with you on the old systems in the classic FF games, I liked the job system from V, but the game just dragged on too long for me to complete all the side quests for all the lengendary gear...story-wise, VI is my fave, and it didn't require a special system for flair, it was just an overall good RPG, like IV (which had the best ending, from what I've played, IMO)...I have III on my DS flash card, and been meaning to play it, being it's one of the ones I haven't played

the FFT series is fairly decent, I had the first one on the PSX, never got a chance to play the advance ones on the GBA, but I also got FFTA2 on my flash card and will play it soon enough, along with FFXII - RW on the DS...which I haven't heard anything about

IV & VI > I (NES) > FFT > V > VII > VIII...just from what I've actually played

z-man said:
I didn't know that people liked X and XII. I've seen so
ffXII is actually really good. It has my favorite final fantasy battle system ever. The cutscenes are short, skippable, and the game is basically free roam (to some extent) you should try it out.

And while he disagrees with you on XII, I'll have to disagree with you on X. What exactly defines "Final Fantasy", anyway? All of the games are very, very different (just compare the games from IV to IX and you'll see what I mean). While X is far from the best game in the series, it has a plot that I personally found very engrossing, endearing characters, and a neat battle system (while I love the ATB system, it was nice to get a break, and I really liked the system they used in X). While it was a bit linear at times, I didn't really mind (when a game is too nonlinear I tend to get bored of it) and unlike others I loved the Sphere Grid.

Oh, and it was very pretty. Can't forget that.

safariblade said:
ffXII is actually really good. It has my favorite final fantasy battle system ever. The cutscenes are short, skippable, and the game is basically free roam (to some extent) you should try it out.

I agree with what you said. FFXII is very fun...unless you keep on getting owned by the demonic Super boss Yiazmat. T_T

XII is basically Star Wars, almost as much as II was.

Vaan is Luke, Ashe is Leia, Balthier is Han Solo, Fran is Chewbecca (except really hot), Basch is Obi-Wan.

Penelo can die in a fire.

safariblade said:
2 things, why are you assuming I haven't played FFXII? That would be completely hypocritical if I was bashing on a game I haven't played. Next, your comment about cutscenes shows you know very little about what made final fantasy great. Final Fantasy has made itself on its story first. It was literally Square's Final Fantasy. That should account for something... The game was nowhere near as open-world as the originals. In the originals, it would take you hours to trek accross the worlds (fun hours non-the-less). If you got lucky, there were two or three worlds to trek across. XII (and XIII), I have found, can play themselves while forcing you to click through some menus. XII also shares the name of the horrible "RTS" DS game. That alone drops it down my list. Next, Captain Vash (I think that's how you spell it) was not at all a very good hero. He was very static and had very little to remember (don't believe Hondour's lies). Overall, a semi-unique battle system cannot carry a rather poor sequel in my eyes.

Azure, don't whine about a hard boss... Final Fantasy's original games had bosses that seemed near impossible unless you grind for levels. Even then it was hard.

Zenith, I agree that FFX was very middle ground. It was by no means the best, but definetly not the worst (I think everyone agrees that FFXI takes that honor... >$200 worth of game for very little performance). The plot based on Blitz Ball was a bit ambitious in my opinion. I don't remember that one so well, however, the character wielding the ball was far overpowered. I did not grind that game at all. For me, that is a big deal in Final Fantasy. Also, the characters barely resembled final fantasy characters. While the main one who's name escapes me was pretty close to heroes of the past, the supporting characters were all laughably shallow. I don't remember any of the bosses or boss leaders... so that kinda speaks for itself. For me, FFX was just too shallow to take the name of a Final Fantasy game. It felt like the First Fantasy for me (c wut i did thar?). FFI was also very shallow, but it was the first game... FFX is the 10th game in the series. No excuse in my opinion.

z-man said:
2 things, why are you assuming I haven't played FFXII? That would be completely hypocritical if I was bashing on a game I haven't played. Next, your comment about cutscenes shows you know very little about what made final fantasy great. Final Fantasy has made itself on its story first. It was literally Square's Final Fantasy. That should account for something... The game was nowhere near as open-world as the originals. In the originals, it would take you hours to trek accross the worlds (fun hours non-the-less). If you got lucky, there were two or three worlds to trek across. XII (and XIII), I have found, can play themselves while forcing you to click through some menus. XII also shares the name of the horrible "RTS" DS game. That alone drops it down my list. Next, Captain Vash (I think that's how you spell it) was not at all a very good hero. He was very static and had very little to remember (don't believe Hondour's lies). Overall, a semi-unique battle system cannot carry a rather poor sequel in my eyes.
Well you never said you did, you said you have seen complaints, which implys that you haven't. My comment on cutscenes was made because you mentioned you dont like FFXIII because it seemed like a movie. When I commented, I didn't know you had played XII, so I was using its short cut scenes as an example to suggest the game to you to try. I understand that the story is everything behind the FF series games, and I personally enjoy cutcenes, but sometimes, they are ridiculous like in Assassin's Creed for example (in my opinion). When I say free roam, I dont mean open worl like you say. I just mean you can go places, and do different side quests and fight different espers at different times throughout the games. FFXII is definitely not open world as you say, as the map system is clearly divided into sections haha. But I enjoy that nevertheless.
I hate the DS game btw, but that doesnt change my opinion on the original FFXII. I think you mean Captain Bash, and he wasn't even the main character. I guess Vaan is the main character, or Ashe if you think about it from a different perspective. I have to agree with you though, the character development and background info could have been better. I really like the Battle system though. Imo, it is the best combination of an action battle system and a turn based one, but doesnt have any button smashing, which is always bleh. The gambit system is cool, could use updating, but it works how it is fine. Overall, good game in my opinion, but definitely not the best.

^My comment about FFXIII is based soley on the fact that you can just spam auto-attack. It had great cutscenes and amazing characters (except vanilla or whatever her name is). There was no point to that game at all except to watch the cutscenes. Also, I base my information primarily on fact, secondly on opinion. The fact is that many people agree with my arguments. I appologize for the confusion caused.

The battle system in FFXII, for me, was completely pointless without decent difficulty. I could have done more with it, but why would I when I just had to lead the characters into battle? I didn't have to control their actions or anything. I powered through the game fairly quickly without much action. For me at least, there is no point for a worthless battle system. Its like driving when you could get a free ride of the same quality. Why spend the extra time?

As for the story, most good final fantasy games can tie a complicated and WEIRD story together. Its usually enjoyable watching how they do so. Its like a good anime... completely out there... but somehow works. FFXII had less of that feel to it. I either had no idea what was going on, or could predict the next cutscene to the letter. There was absolutaly no middle ground for me.

As for the Bash, thing, I'm finishing up watching Trigun. I meant Vaan... I've just been thinking of the name "Vash the Stampede" so much recently... I'm stupid ;P

Zero said:
Azure, don't whine about a hard boss... Final Fantasy's original games had bosses that seemed near impossible unless you grind for levels. Even then it was hard.
Can you name a few off the top of your head? I know I've only played the handhelds up to #5 (and I still haven't finished #2 yet), but I have come across a few truly hard bosses. The ones I've seen are Shinryu (FFIA), Lunar Odin (FFIVA), Shinryu (FFV), Neo Shinryu (FFVA - so hard that it's impossible to beat without using the cheap Quick-Jump-Dragon Lancex2 strategy, or something else cheap), and Enuo (FFVA). Well, Enuo wasn't exactly hard, but he was definitely irritating. Neo Shinryu, though, was the boss from hell. Seriously. Chronodia I don't know. I don't have the PSP FFI.

I've heard a few things about FF7's WEAPON-series bosses, as well as FF8's Omega Weapon as well, but, I can't attest to that for myself.

Oh yes and feel free to name FF4DS bosses. I know that game is really a whole new game in itself and I'm sure several of the bosses are total hell.

z-man said:
Zenith, I agree that FFX was very middle ground. It was by no means the best, but definetly not the worst (I think everyone agrees that FFXI takes that honor... >$200 worth of game for very little performance). The plot based on Blitz Ball was a bit ambitious in my opinion. I don't remember that one so well, however, the character wielding the ball was far overpowered. I did not grind that game at all. For me, that is a big deal in Final Fantasy. Also, the characters barely resembled final fantasy characters. While the main one who's name escapes me was pretty close to heroes of the past, the supporting characters were all laughably shallow. I don't remember any of the bosses or boss leaders... so that kinda speaks for itself. For me, FFX was just too shallow to take the name of a Final Fantasy game. It felt like the First Fantasy for me (c wut i did thar?). FFI was also very shallow, but it was the first game... FFX is the 10th game in the series. No excuse in my opinion.
But as I said before, what defines Final Fantasy characters? You can complain all you want about the characters not resembling previous FF characters, but they rarely do. I mean, try comparing Cloud and Terra, or Squall and Zidane. Final Fantasy VII sure as hell didn't feel like Final Fantasy when I first played it, but neither did VI.

The blitzball part of the story was very small. It was enjoyable, and iirc you only had to play one match. I'm not even sure if you had to win.

It also didn't seem as shallow to me, but that's probably because I hate level grinding and was thankful that I didn't really have to grind in X.

I haven't played XI. It doesn't seem great, but my least favorite will probably always be VIII.

My favourite is FFVII. It has a good storyline and they did a great job transitioning from a 2D game to a 3D one. They also incorporated summoning the guardians like Ifrit and Leviathan. I also enjoyed the side quests that are not present before in the other FF series.

There were no sidequests before VII now?

Wacky! Because the entire latter portion of VI wasn't mostly sidequests or anything.

safariblade said:
Azure Gio Hellfire said:
I agree with what you said. FFXII is very fun...unless you keep on getting owned by the demonic Super boss Yiazmat. T_T

thank you. most people in my school say FFXII IS CRAP but i thought it was good im glad im not the only one

Well...

I do like X and Dissidia and I own X-2 for PS2 and I'm planning on someday getting Dissidia for my PSP :)

I just started playing final fantasy about 2 monthes ago. So far my favorite is IV.

I own the following games:
Final Fantasy (for cell phone)
Final Fantasy III (DS)
Final Fantasy IV (DS)
Final Fantasy IV The After Years (with all tales) (Wii)

I played most of the Final Fantasy games, used to be a big fan.

My favourites are IX and X, with Tactics Advance as the best spin-off.

Shaymintails, Dissidia is incredible. I've basically 100% the game, and I still find it fun to play over and over again. It's got TONS of replay value, and you won't be disappointed.

Back