Fake Card Lots On eBay - What Can I Do?

Digital Dragon

Thinks Chandelure is the cutest Pokémon
Hello everyone. I'm trying to sell some Pokemon cards on eBay, specifically some lots of bulk for pretty cheap. However, I haven't listed my bulk yet due to this one Chinese listing. It advertises 100 cards for less than five dollars, but they are clearly fake. It is selling at an alarming rate (over 100 lots in the past day) and I'm worried it will overshadow my listing.

Is there anything I can do about this? Sorry if I'm bothering you with this stupid complaint.

eBay actually does not allow people to sell fake cards passed off as real, or any other counterfeit goods, on their website. Check out the policy here. You can always report the auction and/or seller for being in violation of this policy, though I'm not actually sure how active they are on taking such things down.

That said, there's nothing stopping you from listing your own cards as well for a higher price. If you can obvious spot the fakes, likely others will as well, and will be looking for more reputable dealers.

Thank you! I know that most serious collectors will likely be able to spot the fakes, but I'm most worried about unknowing parents/grandparents who buy cards for their kids not knowing any better and just getting the cheapest one. I've never actually heard of eBay taking down counterfeit items before, but I'll report it and see what I can do (though I'm not sure I'm allowed to do that without first purchasing an item?) Either way, thank you for your help!

There is a surge on fake Pokémon merchandise on eBay right now. I've been reporting the obvious fakes using the form that eBay provides, but I have very little faith eBay are acting on it. I keep seeing the bootlegs appear on the frontpage. I suspect eBay don't actively remove these listings, but rely on buyers complaining and then eBay force the seller to refund. Both eBay and the scammers rely on enough customers not noticing or complaining. They put the stronger language into the terms and conditions to fight off legal action. Legal action which has been long overdue for over 15 years.

Back