Ruling Fainting Spell

Silver Sea Lugia

Champion Trainer
Can I use Gengar's Fainting Spell if Ampharos (P) is in play?

:::

Poke-Body: Damage Bind
Each player's Pokemon that has any damage counters on it can't use any Poke-Powers.

:::

If he gets KO'd, he won't have any damage counters on him....can I use it?:)

DECK_MASTER

Wow! Good question.
I believe Gengar's power activates on the path from the field to the discard (where there are no such thing as counters), so yet, I think it would still work.

Same goes for me. Since Fainting Spell can only be used if Gengar would be knocked out by an attack. I think if it sayed when Gengar was knocked out.... yadayadayada.

I don't know if that makes a difference, though.

I think you can't, because Gengar is still in play if it reachs it's HP limit, then you use the power and then it gets discarded.
But I'm not 100% sure...

While we're not 100% sure, here's my belief.

In order for Gengar to get Knocked out, it needs enough damage counters on it. By the time it is discarded, it's gone, so there's no power then. So it activates the power before it gets KOd. And during that time, there are damage counters on it.

Again, no one's 100% sure, but that's my belief.

I don't know the answer, but I think effects are usually resolved before Pokemon are Knocked Out. I'd bet on Fainting Spell being stopped.

I think it works. Because it technically has no damage. Great question though.

The attack is always completely resolved before checking if anything is Knocked Out. Here's an example.

Let's say it's Gengar SF vs Skuntank SF, each with no damage counters. It's the Skuntank player's turn. He attaches two PlusPowers to Skuntank and attacks with Plunder.

First step. Any Trainers attached to the Defending Pokemon? No, so continue.
Next step. Do damage. Base damage is 60. Apply relevant effects - two PlusPowers increases damage to 80. Apply W/R: add 30 damage for Gengar's Darkness Weakness. Total damage is 110.
Now that the attack has finished, check to see if anything would be Knocked Out.

This is when Fainting Spell triggers - during the time the game checks for any Pokemon that would be Knocked Out after an attack has finished.

Going back to our example now. Skuntank's Plunder effect has finished. Are there any Pokemon that would be KOed from any damage taken? If yes, they are now KOed. Gengar has 0 remaining HP, so he would be Knocked Out. However, due to Ampharos's Poke-Body, Fainting Spell can't trigger (Gengar currently has 11 damage counters on it).

Once each Pokemon has been checked to see if it gets Knocked Out, then those Pokemon get Knocked Out. If the Active Pokemon was Knocked Out, it is replaced, then relevant between turns effects happen, and the opponent's turn begins.

I believe that since the power of gengar reads IF GENGAR WOULD BE KNOCKED OUT BY AN OPPONENTS ATTACK.... not when it is knocked out that the power would be negated considering it would still have the damage counters on it.

Since effects resolve before the Pokémon hits the discard Fainting Spell would be blocked. Similar reason my Dialga G Lv.X is allowed to flip coins for Remove Lost even if this attack knocks out the defender. A nice mean to send resources into the lost zone which hurts resource-poor decks.

Dark Espeon - Way to post exactly what I said. Posting something about a card that has nothing to do with the question, in addition to your answer (which is the exact same thing I just got done explaining), does not make your post un-spammy.

Enjoy your warning.

PMJ...is this the same with ectoplasm? Not spamming, it is a relevant question.

Considering they both trigger at the same time, (Fainting Spell and Ectoplasm) of course it would apply to Ectoplasm.

Wiseman. said:
I think it works. Because it technically has no damage. Great question though.
I would just like to clarify.

In order to KO a Pokemon, it needs to have damage. Throughout the whole time from my turn to when I KO your Pokemon to when it gets sent into the discard pile, it has damage counters on it.

That's not true. Attacks like Machamp's Take Out that automatically kill your opponent's Pokemon can KO without damaging them, so if Gengar was brought into play by Garchomp LV.X's attack, and Machamp performed Take Out on it, Fainting Spell would not activate.

-_-

I really meant KO by damage, not effects, but I suppose I deserved the correction. Thanks.

Back