Discussion Expanded Zoroark/Lycanroc Mirror Match Advice?

Anthony Orosco

Aspiring Trainer
Started testing this deck over the weekend and have quickly fallen in love with it's play-style and fluidity. Sadly, however, no one at my LGS has picked this deck up and I haven't been able to get the cards needed online as of yet. Does anyone have advice on the mirror? It's a little awkward with Zoroark being weak to Lycanroc, so a clear win-con is escaping me. Optimal plays can be very convoluted in this sense. I have a feeling that many greedy players will just bring up bench warmers and take them out for easy prizes, but is this the best play? Not to mention Sudowoodo has to go and ruin everything for everyone. Thanks for the help!

I've only played the deck a bit online, but in the couple of mirror matches I've had, I've found that you generally have to be smart about your card usage. Sudowoodo is great to have against your opponents deck, and it can let you get some early knock outs as you fill your bench and keep their Lycanroc damage output limited.

If possible, chaining Hex Maniac with VS seeker helps you pull ahead, as you get to hate out your opponents card draw while still digging deep yourself.

I've only played the deck a bit online, but in the couple of mirror matches I've had, I've found that you generally have to be smart about your card usage. Sudowoodo is great to have against your opponents deck, and it can let you get some early knock outs as you fill your bench and keep their Lycanroc damage output limited.

If possible, chaining Hex Maniac with VS seeker helps you pull ahead, as you get to hate out your opponents card draw while still digging deep yourself.
Seems like solid advice, thank you very much! The Hex Maniac chain seems like a pretty viable strat, do you think it's something that should be pushed as a strict counter to the mirror or keep it as only a 1 of? I think it could be useful in other match-ups such as Gardevoir. T1-2 Hex definitely puts them back a few steps, but I'm not quite sure if these kind of advantages are warranting the sacrifice of an additional spot for another Hex.

Seems like solid advice, thank you very much! The Hex Maniac chain seems like a pretty viable strat, do you think it's something that should be pushed as a strict counter to the mirror or keep it as only a 1 of? I think it could be useful in other match-ups such as Gardevoir. T1-2 Hex definitely puts them back a few steps, but I'm not quite sure if these kind of advantages are warranting the sacrifice of an additional spot for another Hex.
I don't think you need to add in a second Hex Maniac. Using Lele to fetch it up generally means you can have access to it whenever you need, and you don't need to keep an actual lock on them, generally just on the turns that would shut them down the most to keep them from hitting back :)

Back