Discussion Expanded PTCGO Tournaments

PMJ

Silhouette Gloom of the Sundown Lands
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Hello everyone. I've been running PokeBeach's PTCGO Tournaments for five months now and I'm always looking for ways to improve them. For those of you who are long-time participants of our tournaments, you'll note that they have always been played in the Standard format. This is largely because the tournaments are held on PTCGO, and Standard stuff is easier to obtain; however, good Expanded cards are not impossible to find, and Expanded is an official format that I feel like we would be remiss to simply ignore.

With that said, I have created a poll to gauge interest in holding Expanded tournaments. If we held one, would you play in it? Why or, more importantly, why not?

If the reaction is positive enough, I'd like to hold the first one in May (April will remain Standard). Please vote in the poll and post any comments. If you have any unrelated ideas about how to make the tournaments better, I'd also be interested in hearing your thoughts on that as well.

https://strawpoll.com/faf4s9e

I'd enjoy playing an expanded tournament for variety. I prefer standard normally, but part of that is my unfamiliarity with expanded which this would fix. I think it would be cool to rotate each month, or even just run a quarterly/semi-annual expanded tournament in place of the standard one for that particular month. I don't think I would have time for two in one month so if both were offered at the same time I'd probably pick and rotate myself.

It would not be run alongside a Standard tournament. There will only be one tournament per month, regardless of format.

My negative side of this tournament would be that it could become too much of luck based, even more than pokemon already is. Basically most matches would be decided by "i went first so there is 0.5% for you to win". Not saying this won't happen in upcoming tournaments (you all know what deck i'm talking about) but at least it shouldn't be as easy to set up in standard tournament as the same effect could be done in expanded.
But i guess it's just my opinion, this is from a guy who basically hates expanded :D

I think it's definitely worth hosting one Expanded tournament to gauge the interest. There has been a big boost in numbers for the last couple of monthly TCG Cups, it would be interesting to see if those numbers stay more or less the same regardless of the format. If it's a success, then perhaps PokeBeach could run an Expanded tournament once per quarter, for example.

However, my worry is that, unless you've been playing PTCGO since the BW days, a lot of the good cards for Expanded decks are too hard to find - or at least difficult to get your hands on without giving up a significant chunk of your online collection. This might put people off and lower the standard of the competition.

Personally, I would probably sign up for an Expanded format tournament but I would much rather play Standard.

Last edited:
I don't want to be the black sheep, but strictly answering PMJ's question, no, I would not play an Expanded tournament because I don't like the format and I don't play it. My opinion is that rotations help to keep the format healthy.

All feedback is welcome. If you wouldn't want to play in an Expanded tourney, I definitely want to know why. Missing important BW--era cards, like Mewtwo-EX, Accelgor, and ACE SPECs--is definitely a barrier to entry for those who have played nothing but Standard. Though there has been some indication that an Expanded tournament could be successful, PokeBeach's PTCGO Tournaments will remain Standard for the time being.

Thanks to those of you who took the time to reply.

Dang, looks like I got here a little bit too late, but I'd LOVE to play in an Expanded Tourney and would try to be first in line for sign-ups if it happened. It's a great format with a vast variety of decks/strategies and having an Expanded tourney would be a nice change of pace from the norm.

I wouldn't do an expanded tournament because we've already played with these cards and I played in standard for a while and completely forgotten these cards from bw era also I don't play expanded and I've done standard my whole life

I don't want to be the black sheep, but strictly answering PMJ's question, no, I would not play an Expanded tournament because I don't like the format and I don't play it. My opinion is that rotations help to keep the format healthy.

Echo.

~Danimal

Maybe doing separate tourneys at some point would be neat but that's asking a lot of an already busy organizer.

Would everyone say it's due to card availability more than anything?

Maybe doing separate tourneys at some point would be neat but that's asking a lot of an already busy organizer.

Would everyone say it's due to card availability more than anything?
Yeah man that like 20 decks to choose from and it's like how I'm gonna get cards for all that but I have some bw era cards but it just too much you know also I didn't see your name in the April tourney you skipping it?

I've only done 3 of these, 2 of which I memed, but I feel like an Expanded tournament could be neat. I'm not exactly sure yet but I think it could work. I would just have to say to expect a whole lot less people to participate, since some people only play standard online or just have no means of getting important cards such as Computer Search.

Yes, the Ace Spec cards would be the main issue. I haven't had much trouble getting most Expanded staples, BUT getting a Dowsing Machine cost me an arm and a leg, so I can't even imagine a 'Puter Search. That fact alone would definitely make an expanded tourney less than 'all-inclusive.' The smaller the turn-out, the more likely a simultaneous tourney would be I imagine, since organizing, let's say, a 20-30 person tourney would be a lot less intensive, I imagine. But, then again, I've never done it so what the heck do I know? Also, if only 20-30 play, the prize pool would prb be small or non-existent, which might preclude some people (not me, I don't play for prizes) from playing, even further reducing the player pool. It's tough and a shame, because I'd love to beat up on some Night March players. ;)

(@DaGod503, I signed up, but got missed or overlooked or I signed up wrong or something. I msg'd PMJ; hopefully we'll get it sorted out ASAP.)

Yeah. The only thing I can think is I didn't include the last question, which - if you said "Yes" to the "Did you make at least 3 non-Tournament related forum posts" question - seemed unnecessary? Like, "Did you make at least 3 posts?" "Yes." "If not, do you promise to do so." "Um..."

I dunno, it's the English major in me I guess - I just edited it out without even thinking. I guess the Q also has an implied promise for April, as well, which I didn't think about at that time, but again, if I made 3 posts in March, I guess I was implying by proxy that I'd make 3 posts in April too. I dunno, LOL, we'll see.

Please stay on topic. Message me privately with any tournament concerns.

Yes, the Ace Spec cards would be the main issue. I haven't had much trouble getting most Expanded staples, BUT getting a Dowsing Machine cost me an arm and a leg, so I can't even imagine a 'Puter Search. That fact alone would definitely make an expanded tourney less than 'all-inclusive.' The smaller the turn-out, the more likely a simultaneous tourney would be I imagine, since organizing, let's say, a 20-30 person tourney would be a lot less intensive, I imagine. But, then again, I've never done it so what the heck do I know? Also, if only 20-30 play, the prize pool would prb be small or non-existent, which might preclude some people (not me, I don't play for prizes) from playing, even further reducing the player pool. It's tough and a shame, because I'd love to beat up on some Night March players. ;)

(@DaGod503, I signed up, but got missed or overlooked or I signed up wrong or something. I msg'd PMJ; hopefully we'll get it sorted out ASAP.)

Yeah ace specs would be hardest to get for people that's why I think it would be hard for some to get back into expanded but yeah that's weird you signed up a little after I did and not on list but yeah hopefully you get it sorted out

I would love an expanded one. Maybe one every 3 months

Ace specs are not hard to get. A comp search is about 23 RS packs online. You could argue it's hard to get Shaymins but we still have many people wanting to play in the tourney.

Back