Expanded Format in Europe

Draaka

Aspiring Trainer
Ok, so we all know that expanded is going to be used for the next regionals, but from talking to a few of our local professors and a top 8 nats player I know, everybody has said the same thing.

They aren't 100% sure but nobody seems to think expanded will be played anywhere other than US. Nobody has been told officially that the UK or Europe will be using expanded.

Can someone clarify? Because if this is the case I need to either be preparing for expanded or ignoring it completely.

(this seemed like the most appropriate forum to post in)

Moved to TCG News & Discussion (from Ask a Professor). I looked around on the official website but didn't find a concrete answer. It is my understanding that this question is open to speculation; therefore I find it appropriate that this thread should be open to non-Professors for discussion as well.

This is an interesting puzzle. It indeed sounds like it will be in North America only.

If you look at the 2016 season schedule (here: http://www.pokemon.com/us/play-pokemon/pokemon-events/pokemon-tournaments/) for international events, it lacks the differentiation between Expanded and Standard that the North American schedule has. The page also says "In the US and Canada, all Regional Championships will use the Expanded format", without specifically mentioning other regions.

I think I would wager that it is NA only. But maybe a Professor here could put it to rest.

Back