BW/BW2 EV Training Guide

Rusty Sticks

♪~ ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
EV Training Guide

What in the name of Arceus are EVs?

If you aren't much of a competitive battler, you are probably thinking, "what are these EV's other players keep talking about?". The term EV stands for Effort Value. By battling different Pokemon, you gain points for your own Pokemon stats to increase. Upon reaching a certain amount of EV points, your Pokemon's stats will increase accordingly, making their stats higher than they would be had you not gained EVs.

We'll use Patrat as an example. Patrat yields 1 Attack EV point. So beating a Patrat gets every Pokemon who gained experience from the battle +1 Attack EV point.

How do EVs help me?

Every time your Pokemon gets 4 EV points for a specific stat, that stat will gain a +1 to the base value. So defeating 4 Patrats will get your Pokemon +1 to their Attack stat.

Don't think that the +1 will come immediately. The full effect of your EV training will be seen at level 100.

So it's possible to have 999 in one stat?

Unfortunately, no. There is in fact a limit to how many EV points a Pokemon can get. There is even a limit to how many points can effect a single stat.
  1. Maximum number of EV points for each Pokemon is 510.
  2. Maximum number of EV points for a single stat is 255.
In short, a Pokemon can receive a maximum of +63 to a single stat. So defeating 255 Patrats (+255 Attack EV points) gets you +63 to your Pokemon's Attack stat.

If you are good at math, you should be able to notice something with this number. 4 doesn't go into 255. 252 is the nearest variable of 4. That's a whole 3 extra EV points for you to use. By getting 252 EVs in two different stats, you are left with 6 EVs, allowing you to increase another stat by +1. Only +1 might not seem like a lot, but remember, every point counts!

How do I know if my Pokemon got EV points?

As you should know at this point, every time you defeat a Pokemon, you gain experience points. If your Pokemon received experience points from the battle, even if it didn't deal the final blow, it will receive all the EV points the defeated Pokemon would give.

And yes, using an EXP. Share will give the attached Pokemon all the EVs the attacking Pokemon would receive.

This is taking too long...

Not to worry! There is no need to grind for hours in order to increase your Pokemon's EVs. There are much simpler ways to help you out.

Vitamins
You know vitamins as HP Up, Protein, Iron, Calcium, Zinc, and Carbos. Using a vitamin increases a specific stat by 10 EVs. However, you can only use 10 vitamins for each stat.

• HP Up - +10 HP
  • Protein - +10 Attack
  • Iron - +10 Defense
  • Calcium - +10 Sp. Attack
  • Zinc - +10 Sp. Defense
  • Carbos - +10 Speed

So, using one type of vitamin 10 times gets your Pokemon 100 EV points right there!

Wings
If you've played Black and White to an extent, you've seen the shadows on a few of the major bridges. Sometimes when you step "on" the shadow, you will pick up a special wing. There are 7 different types of wings you can pick up, but only 6 effect your Pokemon's stats. Those 6 wings are Health, Muscle, Resist, Genius, Clever, and Swift.

The wings hold a few significant differences over the vitamins. For one thing, they only increase the Pokemon's EVs by 1, rather than 10. However, you can use wings as many times as you can (up to 255 of course). The one major downside to using these wings is how difficult they are to obtain in numbers.

• Health Wing - +1 HP
  • Muscle Wing - +1 Attack
  • Resist Wing - +1 Defense
  • Genius Wing - +1 Sp. Attack
  • Clever Wing - +1 Sp. Defense
  • Swift Wing - +1 Speed

Power Items and Macho Brace
Power items are probably the most useful items available for EV training. When you give a Pokemon an EV item, they get +4 EVs for that specific stat whenever they gain experience, regardless of what EVs the defeated Pokemon would give. Like the vitamins and wings, there are 6 different Power items. They are the Power Weight, Bracer, Belt, Lens, Band, and Anklet.

So, lets say your Pokemon is holding the Power Bracer (+4 Attack). Defeating a Patrat would get you +5 Attack EVs, making it much faster to gain EVs than having to battle 252 Patrats. What if you were holding the Power Lens (+4 Sp. Attack)? Defeating a Patrat would not only get you the normal +1 Attack EVs, but you would also get +4 Sp. Attack EVs thanks to the Power Lens.

• Power Weight - +4 HP
  • Power Bracer - +4 Attack
  • Power Belt - +4 Defense
  • Power Lens - +4 Sp. Attack
  • Power Band - +4 Sp. Defense
  • Power Anklet - +4 Speed

The Macho Brace is a much simpler item to use. Simply enough, the Pokemon holding it gets x2 the EV points it would receive.

Just remember that attaching any of these items to your Pokemon will decrease its Speed (as long as it is being held), so be wary!

Pokerus
Pokerus is a very rare, but incredibly valuable virus your Pokemon can catch. Sometimes when you heal your Pokemon at a Pokemon Center, Nurse Joy will tell you that one of your Pokemon caught the disease. Don't fret; it is in no way, shape, or form a liability to you!

Pokerus doubles the EV points you receive upon defeating a Pokemon, after all increases have been applied. Going back to Patrat, if your infected Pokemon holding the Power Bracer defeats a Patrat, that Pokemon will receive a whopping +10 Attack EV points!

After some time, the Pokerus status will eventually fade away. Don't worry! Pokerus' effect is still in play, you just can't infect your other Pokemon with it. If you are having trouble getting Pokerus on any of your Pokemon, it should be a good idea to start trading. Pokerus has been known to be infected commonly through trading.

I SCREWED UP AND GAVE MY POKEMON TOO MANY EVs IN ONE STAT HELP!!!

Don't worry about it. Thankfully, there is a way to decrease your Pokemon's EVs. There are 6 berries that will do just this, decreasing a specific stat by 10 EV points, just in case you get too many EV points at one time. Those berries are the Pomeg Berry, Kelpsy, Qualot, Hondew, Grepa, and Tamato.

• Pomeg Berry - -10 HP
  • Kelpsy Berry - -10 Attack
  • Qualot Berry - -10 Defense
  • Hondew Berry - -10 Sp. Attack
  • Grepa Berry - -10 Sp. Defense
  • Tamato Berry - -10 Speed

Unfortunately, you currently cannot get any of these berries in Black and White without using the Dream World.

However, in Black/White 2, there are a few methods of obtaining these EV reducing berries. On Route 5, a Pokemon Breeder will sell you a set of 5 random berries for just 200 PokeDollars! If you build (and upgrade) a Flower Shop on Join Avenue, you can buy these berries there, everyday.

I got Black/White 2. Does Join Avenue help with EV training?

The answer is: yes! Join Avenue (only in BW2) has several facilities that can alter a Pokemon's EVs.

Beauty Salon
Slender Make-up - Lowers HP EVs by 50
Gentle Make-up - Lowers Atk EVs by 50
Liberal Make-up - Lowers Def EVs by 50
Comfortable Make-up - Lowers Sp.Atk EVs by 50
Mild Make-up - Lowers Sp.Def EVs by 50
Calm Make-up - Lowers Speed EVs by 50
Slender Make-up 2 - Lowers HP EVs by 100
Gentle Make-up 2 - Lowers Atk EVs by 100
Liberal Make-up 2 - Lowers Def EVs by 100
Comfortable Make-up 2 - Lowers Sp.Atk EVs by 100
Mild Make-up 2 - Lowers Sp.Def EVs by 100
Calm Make-up 2 - Lowers Speed EVs by 100
Slender Make-up 3 - All HP EVs disappear.
Gentle Make-up 3 - All Attack EVs disappear.
Liberal Make-up 3 - All Defense EVs disappear.
Comfortable Make-up 3 - All Sp. Attack EVs disappear.
Mild Make-up 3 - All Sp. Defense EVs disappear.
Calm Make-up 3 - All Speed EVs disappear.

Fitness
Stamina Lv4 - Increases HP EVs by 4
Stamina Lv8 - Increases HP EVs by 8
Stamina Lv12 - Increases HP EVs by 12
Stamina Lv16 - Increases HP EVs by 16
Stamina Lv24 - Increases HP EVs by 24
Stamina Lv32 - Increases HP EVs by 32
Stamina Lv64 - Increases HP EVs by 64
Attack Lv4 - Increases Atk EVs by 4
Attack Lv8 - Increases Atk EVs by 8
Attack Lv12 - Increases Atk EVs by 12
Attack Lv16 - Increases Atk EVs by 16
Attack Lv24. - Increases Atk EVs by 24
Attack Lv32 - Increases Atk EVs by 32
Attack Lv64 - Increases Atk EVs by 64
Defense Lv4 - Increases Def EVs by 4
Defense Lv8 - Increases Def EVs by 8
Defense Lv12 - Increases Def EVs by 12
Defense Lv16 - Increases Def EVs by 16
Defense Lv24 - Increases Def EVs by 24
Defense Lv32 - Increases Def EVs by 32
Defense Lv64 - Increases Def EVs by 64
Sp. Attack Lv4 - Increases Sp.Atk EVs by 74
Sp. Attack Lv8 - Increases Sp.Atk EVs by 8
Sp. Attack Lv12 Fitness - Increases Sp.Atk EVs by 12
Sp. Attack Lv16 Fitness - Increases Sp.Atk EVs by 16
Sp. Attack Lv24 Fitness - Increases Sp.Atk EVs by 24
Sp. Attack Lv32 Fitness - Increases Sp.Atk EVs by 32
Sp. Attack Lv64 Fitness - Increases Sp.Atk EVs by 64
Sp. Defense Lv4 Fitness - Increases Sp.Def EVs by 4
Sp. Defense Lv8 Fitness - Increases Sp.Def EVs by 8
Sp. Defense Lv12 - Increases Sp.Def EVs by 12
Sp. Defense Lv16 - Increases Sp.Def EVs by 16
Sp. Defense Lv24 - Increases Sp.Def EVs by 24
Sp. Defense Lv32 - Increases Sp.Def EVs by 32
Sp. Defense Lv64 - Increases Sp.Def EVs by 64
Speed Lv4 - Increases Speed EVs by 4
Speed Lv8 - Increases Speed EVs by 8
Speed Lv12 - Increases Speed EVs by 12
Speed Lv16 - Increases Speed EVs by 16
Speed Lv24 - Increases Speed EVs by 24
Speed Lv32 - Increases Speed EVs by 32
Speed Lv64 - Increases Speed EVs by 64

Bistro
Good Luck A Lunch - Increases HP EVs by 20
Good Luck B Lunch - Increases Atk EVs by 20
Good Luck C Lunch - Increases Def EVs by 20
Good Luck D Lunch - Increases Speed EVs by 20
Good Luck E Lunch - Increases Sp.Atk EVs by 20
Good Luck F Lunch - Increases Sp.Def EVs by 20
Off Menu A - Increases HP EVs by 48
Off Menu B - Increases Atk EVs by 48
Off Menu C - Increases Def EVs by 48
Off Menu D - Increases Speed EVs by 48
Off Menu E - Increases Sp.Atk EVs by 48
Off Menu F - Increases Sp.Def EVs by 48

How can I be sure my Pokemon has all 510 EVs?

In Opelucid City, go to the house North of the Pokemon Center. A person inside will tell you if your Pokemon has all 510 EVs.

How do I know what Pokemon give what EVs?

You can check this post for a list of Pokemon and how many points they give for whichever stat.

Good EV Training Spots

HP: Iccirus City-Stunfisk (+2) and Palpitoad (+2); Liberty Garden-Victini (+3) KOing Victini makes it re-appear infinitely until captured
Attack: Route 1-Patrat (+1) and Lillipup (+1); Route 4-Scraggy (+1), Sandile (+1), and Darumaka (+1)
Defense: Pinwheel Forest-Venipede (+1) and Sewaddle (+1); Relic Castle-Yamask (+1) and Cofagrigus (+2)
Sp. Attack: Celestial Tower-Elgyem (+1) and Litwick (+1)
Sp. Defense: Driftveil City/Route 17/Route 18 (surfing)-Frillish (+1), Jellicent (+2), Alomomola (+2)
Speed: Route 3 (surfing)-Basculin (+2)

I already knew how to EV train, but the guide was fantastic. And it will be to new players.

I've just skimmed this, but I think that new players will get a lot from this.

I'd thumbs up if I could :p

This needs to be stickied. I read through it and saw no mistakes, and every point that should have been touched on, was. Although I think there's one thing that's missing... I'm not sure what it is, but it's probably nothing (I get this feeling a lot).

You get my seal of approval, good job on this bro :>

Due to popular demand, I have added a section of ideal EV training locations.

(loving the feedback by the way, thanks guys :>)

For HP, I train on Victini (Liberty Garden). Provided you have not caught it already, he gives 3 HP EVs and regenerates when defeated. Of course, not everyone can do this, but still.

For Attack, I used to train on Route 4. It's a bit more harmful than Route 1 because of the sandstorm, but every Pokemon there (Scraggy, Sandile, and Darumaka) each give 1 Attack EV.

For Defense I train in Relic Castle. 1F and B1F have Sandile and Yamask 50-50; the former gives 1 Attack EV and the latter gives 1 Defense EV. B2F and lower have Krokorok and Cofagrigus 50-50; it's the same as above, except they give 2 EVs instead of 1. Also, Cofagrigus on B2F have no real offensive move outside of Curse (their set is Curse, Scary Face, Power Split, and Guard Split).

That is why I do not train in Pinwheel Forest. There are too many status conditions, and Venipede know Protect, which screws up my counting system for EVs. (I count how many PP I've used to make sure I got everything.)

haven't read the whole thing in detail but it does look pretty good and informative at a cursory glance

Yeah, the EV training locations is what was missing. Thanks for adding it, that feeling gets annoying lol

DNA suggested some great things to add in, those could be added. And btw, this guide is way better than Serebii's.

I think Seismitoad can appear in the rippling water in Iccurus City and gives 3 HP EVs, so I think that's worth noting. I use the grass outside of Dragonspiral Tower for attack since Sawsbuck gives 2 attack EVs, Mienfoo gives 1 attack EV, Cubchoo gives 1 Attack EV, and Beartic gives 2 Attack EVs, although the last 2 are only available in winter. Beware of Deerling (1 Speed EV), Vanillite (1 Sp. Atk EV) and Vanillish (2 Sp. Atk EVs) although, again, the last 2 are winter only. I checked all of this on Bulbapedia as I wrote so this should be accurate.

Oh wait, I didn't notice your Sp. Def location.

I EV train in Driftveil City for Special Defense. Frillish is a 100% encounter rate, and it's much closer than Route 17.

In addition, any rippling spots may contain Alomomola (95%, gives 2 HP EVs) or Jellicent (5%).

it's closer and better

Alomomola appears on Route 17/18 too, so I added it with Driftveil City as another option.

Also Noobnerd told me to make it more pretty. It has been done (at least a bit of it has).

Maybe you should include something about the last 2 EVs being useless? A lot of newer players have asked me why 2 EVs are left on movesets they see (252x 252y 4z)

Other than that, great job :)

Nice guide, I like the informality here. From a quick read it looks good, maybe two things:

1) "In Opelucid City, go to the house North of the Pokemon Center. A person inside will tell you how many EVs your Pokemon has." Does he specifically tell you the number of EVs you have? If not, this could be reworded.

2) I think the conclusion should either be fleshed out some more or removed, it's too short to have much purpose at the moment.

Well-written, straightforward and gets the point across. Although I'm starting to realize that all the articles written about EV's over the years and generations all basically sound the same, and the only thing that ever changes much is the last section which typically is the EV training locations. I did like the examples you used in this article, a little more creative that your standard article. I'd like to see more of your work around here.

bacon-boy said:
Nice guide, I like the informality here. From a quick read it looks good, maybe two things:

1) "In Opelucid City, go to the house North of the Pokemon Center. A person inside will tell you how many EVs your Pokemon has." Does he specifically tell you the number of EVs you have? If not, this could be reworded.

2) I think the conclusion should either be fleshed out some more or removed, it's too short to have much purpose at the moment.

1) Yeah I need to reword that. They only tell you if your Pokemon has the maximum 510 EVs.

2) Not really much to add to it at the moment, so I think I'll just get rid of it.

Bravo said:
Well-written, straightforward and gets the point across. Although I'm starting to realize that all the articles written about EV's over the years and generations all basically sound the same, and the only thing that ever changes much is the last section which typically is the EV training locations. I did like the examples you used in this article, a little more creative that your standard article. I'd like to see more of your work around here.

Why thank you :D

You forgot to mention the Audino Trick where you attach a Lucky Egg on the Pokemon you're EV Training to gain more Experience Points each time it KO's an Audino. It's a much faster way to EV train a Pokemon to Lv. 100 but I would recommend giving the Pokemon you're EV Training Vitamins and Pokerus first before you start to train against Audino.

The best places to find Audino's are in Route 11 to the right of Opelucid City and on Route 14 near the entrance of White Forest or Black City depending on which version of the game you have. The Audino's will be around Level 40-50 so I would advise on using Max Repels and run around in the Grass until you find the Shiny patches to get to it.

Back