Discussion Espeon GX, Glaceon GX

Redcubone02

Aspiring Trainer
Earlier in the season i ran a espeon gx umbreon gx deck with hammers bursting balloons and such and it ran extremely well suprisingly, the energy split didnt hurt the deck too much i was able to find what i needed when i needed thanks to proffs letter and some other cards. I was wondering however if glaceon gx espeon gx would be a good combo, granted glaceon has the same second attack as umbreon, but with ability lock. (My strategy in the other deck was start to set up thkos then finish with espeon gx) gusma float stone and tauros gx help this deck a lot and it counters popular types(accept for zorros, maybe could add sudowoodo tho). Any thoughts on this deck would be highly appreciated as i am looking into for expand for the future.

The main thing with Glaceon is that you need to get it out on turn one. Missing a turn one Glaceon defeats the whole purpose of the powerful ability lock, and allows your opponent to Tapu Lele and use other abilities. I think running Glaceon with other energy and Pokémon would just make getting that turn one setup even harder. I guess if you made it work before with the other Eeveeloution, it may work in a similar way here. But the difference with Glaceon is that you want to start with it. If that makes sense :)

Earlier in the season i ran a espeon gx umbreon gx deck with hammers bursting balloons and such and it ran extremely well suprisingly, the energy split didnt hurt the deck too much i was able to find what i needed when i needed thanks to proffs letter and some other cards. I was wondering however if glaceon gx espeon gx would be a good combo, granted glaceon has the same second attack as umbreon, but with ability lock. (My strategy in the other deck was start to set up thkos then finish with espeon gx) gusma float stone and tauros gx help this deck a lot and it counters popular types(accept for zorros, maybe could add sudowoodo tho). Any thoughts on this deck would be highly appreciated as i am looking into for expand for the future.
I too ran a straight Umbreon GX deck that also included a small Zoroark GX Line. I personally prefer running Glaceon GX as the only Eeveelution for 1 reason: Aqua Patch for energy-attachment acceleration. Further, IMO, a deck like Glaceon-Alolan Ninetales or Glaceon-Friends would have several advantages over a multi-Eeveelution deck.

I can't immediately write off any Glaceon decks as it's the best card in the game, but it feels like running Espeon/Garbodor or Espeon/Buzzwole (Or even Espeon/Garbodor/Buzzwole) would be a better alternative. Glaceon really excels when you want to shut off your opponent's abilities while maintaining your own, and many decks in the current meta rely either on no abilities at all (Buzzwole decks, Espeon decks) or they rely on abilities that aren't on EX/GX Pokemon (Vikabulu, Quad Hoopa). This is an interesting idea for a deck, but I don't think it'll be viable until after Garbodor has rotated out.

Quick trivia on Glaceon.
It doesn't pair well with anything that doesn't do its work from the bench.

I find some GXs are primary cards in a deck that you can build around (Buzzwole, Gardevore, Espeon, Bulu, etc) and some are supporters that augment the primary (Garbodor, Vikavolt, Octillery, etc.) Zorark is the one exception who can be both.

The challenge with Espeon GX/Glaceon GX - who is the primary? how does the secondary complement or add to the primary? I build this deck and it did not seem to perform well. On the other hand, I tried Espeon GX/Leafeon GX with both Garbadors and it worked much better. Garbotoxin is a better way to get the Ability wiping from the bench than Glaceon as a secondary, and adding a float stone to Leafeon worked great for Guzma (heal 50 each time!). Here, Espeon is still the primary. The sneaky part of this deck is that you have weakness against Buzzwole and Lyncaroc AND Lucario (and Espeon but it goes both ways), with OHKO on all of them. Given the Meta game right now, that's a strong plus.

Back