Discussion Embarrassing Deck Mistakes?

Kyrushi

Squirrel
What are some mistakes you've made in your decks that you didn't notice until you started playing it?

This week I played a tourney in my area. I was playing a Kingdra EX (Fates Collide) deck and got to the finals, only to then have it pointed out by my opponent that I was not able to count Double Dragon toward the bonus damage on Dragon Trail. I had glanced over the text that mentions it must be BASIC electric energy to get the +30 damage and no one questioned my plays until the very end of the tourney. It was extremely embarrassing as I played the deck for almost a month assuming I could stack Double Dragon for more damage. Thankfully I was not disqualified since the event was fairly casual, but it really sucks that my deck didn't function how I expected it to!

The almost universal mistake that hits me periodically and that I assume applies at least once to everyone else is... forgetting [insert obvious card]. Why did I phrase it that way? Remember that time you forgot to include Rare Candy? Forest of Giant Plants? Lysandre? You won't forget the deck's focus all that often (though if you've played for nearly 20 years, that may have happened as well XD), but the next most obvious bits can surprise you with how easy they are to forget. ;)

What are some mistakes you've made in your decks that you didn't notice until you started playing it?

This week I played a tourney in my area. I was playing a Kingdra EX (Fates Collide) deck and got to the finals, only to then have it pointed out by my opponent that I was not able to count Double Dragon toward the bonus damage on Dragon Trail. I had glanced over the text that mentions it must be BASIC electric energy to get the +30 damage and no one questioned my plays until the very end of the tourney. It was extremely embarrassing as I played the deck for almost a month assuming I could stack Double Dragon for more damage. Thankfully I was not disqualified since the event was fairly casual, but it really sucks that my deck didn't function how I expected it to!

Oh man, that's tough. In my Gallade EX deck, I had played Brigette to search for Hoopa EX and used his Scoundrel Ring ability...
It only works if it's played from your hand. And I kept making that mistake until someone pointed it out to me in a League Challenge. Thankfully he was cool about it and I didn't get punished for it. Now I know better lol

Oh man, that's tough. In my Gallade EX deck, I had played Brigette to search for Hoopa EX and used his Scoundrel Ring ability...
It only works if it's played from your hand. And I kept making that mistake until someone pointed it out to me in a League Challenge. Thankfully he was cool about it and I didn't get punished for it. Now I know better lol
I made a similar mistake with pokemon like Salazle who ONLY activate their ability if they were evolved from a card in your hand. I can totally understand that!

I made a mistake once in my Vespiquen Zebstrika deck when i went to Athens about five months ago. I was thinking about adding an extra Remoraid and a Parallel City, but in the end, I dropped it for a 1-1 Raichu line. I ran into 3 Mega Rayquazas; tied 2, and lost 1. Also, the Raichus were COMPLETLY useless.

So when I went to Indiana Regionals, I ran M Rayquaza-EX, but I only had one Shaymin-EX. Instead of grabbing another deck, I decided f it, and ran M Ray with only one Shaymin. It actually went well. It was fun and forced to me to think more carefully about my moves, so embarissing because I'm poor, but still fun.

The time I was playing a tournament on TCGO with a deck I'd just made, and I almost decked myself out trying to find a float stone that wasnt there because I'd forgot to add it. Lol

Biggest mistake I made in a deck was on the TCGO when I was playing Legacy Big Basics+Garb and I put in so many items/supporters that I forgot energies. Went into a tourney and then after turns of not getting energies I realized "OH HEY I FORGOT THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THE DECK!" and ended up losing the tourney on round two. Yes I still won a round relying purely on Laserbank, even if it wasn't a very good deck I was playing against(I think it was like Basic Blue or something)

On the prerelease of BREAKPoint, I put 2 Delinquent in my deck, only to notice afterwards that I had forgotten to put in the 3 stadiums I pulled. This was a really awkward situation as it was the main reason for a lot of dead draws...

I've made quite a few mistakes. The biggest one was back in December, and lasted the whole month and longer. My deck at the time was a (pretty bad) Mega Alakazam EX (I like Alakazam!). It did pretty well at local tournaments and was my first half decent deck, and I got staples such as Shaymin, Hoopa, VS Seeker, Sycamore, N, etc. My main problem was that there was nothing else in terms of attackers, and it had no focus at all, unlike some carefully thought out- but still pretty bad- Mega Alakazam decks with Crobat and Gengar. Now there is a much better version with Espeon GX, but I have thankfully moved on to much better things like Volcanion/Turtonator and Drampa/Garbodor.

So I did the worst thing possible in a Gyarados AOR deck, somehow I decided Rough seas was more useful then TM'sSB SMH

During one of the side challenges at the Madison regionals (league challenge), my opponent played Pokemon Fan Club, found his 2 basics and shuffled. Placed them on the bench, then proceeded to N...

The judge said it was an auto-loss since he had already used a supporter and shuffled his hand into his deck. I felt bad for him but the win placed me in the top 16.

During one of the side challenges at the Madison regionals (league challenge), my opponent played Pokemon Fan Club, found his 2 basics and shuffled. Placed them on the bench, then proceeded to N...

The judge said it was an auto-loss since he had already used a supporter and shuffled his hand into his deck. I felt bad for him but the win placed me in the top 16.
OUCH that's really harsh! :( I've made that mistake a couple times with Sycamore but I was at least able to take it back given I could just pull the stuff back out of my discard.

I remember one time when I was playing in a league challenge. I was up against one of my friends, who shall remain unnamed. We started the match, and it went along pretty well. I was playing raticate BREAK (because I'm poor) with sceptile EX and Ariados. I KO'd their pokemon, and went to take a prize card. The thing is, I completely forgot to put out my prize cards, but we were already about 5 turns in. She called a judge over, and I got an auto loss. Yeah.

Alakazam's deck story part 2.0:

One time at the Philly Regionals I played an N. I don't know what I was thinking because as my opponent was shuffling their hand into their deck I discarded my hand and drew 7...

The funniest part was, I got a warning for "not knowing what my cards did".

Last edited:
So, this actually happened to a friend of mine. He threw together a "Houndoom/Manectric Mill Deck." Only one problem.

He forgot to include the Houndoom part

Oh, here's an embarassing oldie:

When my friends and I first started playing the Pokémon TCG during the first few months of 1999, I got confused by a really, really, really stupid thing: Double Colorless Energy was at the beginning of the Energy cards in Base Set, both because alphabetically and because it was an Uncommon while the rest were Commons, and it clearly said "Energy" on top. Somehow, because it was grey similar (but not the same as) the Trainer cards, I got it into my head that it was a Trainer card.

If you're not groaning/laughing/etc. yet, I was in the 11th grade and my two close friends whom I convinced I was right were in 12th grade. >_<

I misread Mega Glalie EX's second attack from the Breakthrough set. I thought that it did an extra 150 more damage after you received "10 damage" and not "10 damage counters". It reads as follows:

Cryo Mouth 100+ - If this Pokémon has 10 or more damage counters on it, this attack does 150 more damage.

Yeah...I felt really stupid.

I misread Mega Glalie EX's second attack from the Breakthrough set. I thought that it did an extra 150 more damage after you received "10 damage" and not "10 damage counters". It reads as follows:

Cryo Mouth 100+ - If this Pokémon has 10 or more damage counters on it, this attack does 150 more damage.

Yeah...I felt really stupid.
Don't feel bad that got allot of people at first

I was 1-1 at a League Cup and was playing Mega Mewtwo against Volcanion. He had three Volcanion-EX in play and I had a fresh Mega Mewtwo powered up in the Active slot. I was in a very comfortable position and was most likely going to win because of my board, but I lacked a follow-up Mega. He Steams Up three times out of nowhere to bring Volcanic Heat to 220 and claims the Knock Out. Math checks out, I let Mewtwo die.

I forget that my Parallel City reduces his damage by 20, and Mewtwo would be very much alive.

I ignore this fact and play my turn on, Ning, and then realizing after both of us have shuffled in our hands...that Parallel City was on the field. I couldn't believe how oblivious I was to the card I played literally a turn before and proceeded to lose the game, tilting after one forgetful mistake. I was very upset.

Back