Eevee May Not Have a New Evolution This Generation

DuoForce

Semi-Ace Trainer
So guys... I have some potential bad news.

A recent trailer (
) has been uploaded on the the japanese pokemon YT channel and featured various clips (and some unseen clips) including one of Eevee being scanned in the Dex, unfortunately, when Eevee was scanned in the dex, it was seen that only 8 empty pokeballs were show (the blank pokeballs indicate evolution) and Eevee has 8 evolutions, with Sylveon being the latest one.
ZD1d1jS.png

There is the picture, sucks that Eevee may not get an evolution this gen):

I'm okay with Eevee not getting a new evo, tbh. And it's following the dreaded pattern (God kill me for using the dreaded p-word) set since gen 2 - no new evolutions in an odd gen.

Not counting the first gen since, hey, no one wanted a standalone dogcat back then.

Good, I'm getting sick of Eeveelutions at this point. Save them for when they want to introduce a new type.

Eevee didn't need an evolution this Gen; I think the types it has are okay right now. I do wonder if GF does have an idea to possibly give us an Eeveelution of every type?

We'll just have to wait and find out.

Personally, I'm fine with not getting a new Eeveelution this gen. We already have 8, and while I love seeing new ones when they are introduced, the need for them is becoming less and less. We may not be getting many new Pokemon this gen, like last gen, so I want to see all new Pokemon instead of one that an evolution from a previous gen.

I would've loved a new eeveelution, but when I think about potentially having a Mega Glaceon or a new eeveelution, yeah... The Mega Glaceon wins by a long shot.

Secondly, Sylveon was only brought in to encourage the new typing, sort of like Umbreon I guess... If Fairy Types weren't brought into Pokemon I can assure you Sylveon would not exist, and Leafeon and Glaceon may as well have been the last eeveelutions.

Also, there are 8 of these things! 8! This is starting to get ridiculous, as I remember when Leafeon and Glaceon were brought in, everyone thought they were it. But since Sylveon sort of brought back the eeveelution love that never really left, I might as well say another thing...

Mega Eeveelutions! With all the new Pokemon come in and with many new ways to battle, eevee and quite a few of its evolved forms can't keep up. Especially Flareon, Leafeon, and yes... Glaceon. Since they're not great in battle, they could get mega evolutions. Why though? Well, eeveelutions are LOVED by a massive amount of the Pokemon fan base, and I bet a lot of those people would love to use their eeveelutions in battle. Thus Mega Evolution. This would be serious fanservice to tons of people who've always had those 1 or 2 eeveelutions they've always held dear (Glaceon and Jolteon). And it would give the adorable Pokemon Eevee much more love!

Now, here's some horrible logic as to when these could be released:

Sun and Moon: Vaporeon, Jolteon, and Flareon, obviously, it's these guys 20th anniversary, and they are the very first eeveelutions. It actually makes sense that they could get mega evolutions here.

Eclipse/ 3rd Version: Espeon and Umbreon. Sun and Moon when together form an Eclipse. Since these two Pokemon are kinda opposites in the EXACT SAME WAY, then they could be released in this game.

D/P Remakes: Hopefully these games come this generation... But Leafeon and Glaceon would get mega evolutions here, which perfectly makes sense. Why? Well they were released way back when Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum were the newest installments to the games (though they were only obtainable in Platinum. Please correct me if I'm wrong). Since this was when they were first released, in the Sinnoh days, then we could get their mega evolutions in the remakes of their debut games, which makes perfect sense.

Generation 8: Sylveon is just too new to get a mega evolution in Generation 7...

Overall, since Eevee has had a ton of love over the years, why not give it a Big Bang finale with giving the 8 forms of Eevee Mega Evolutions?

I would've loved a new eeveelution, but when I think about potentially having a Mega Glaceon or a new eeveelution, yeah... The Mega Glaceon wins by a long shot.

Secondly, Sylveon was only brought in to encourage the new typing, sort of like Umbreon I guess... If Fairy Types weren't brought into Pokemon I can assure you Sylveon would not exist, and Leafeon and Glaceon may as well have been the last eeveelutions.

Also, there are 8 of these things! 8! This is starting to get ridiculous, as I remember when Leafeon and Glaceon were brought in, everyone thought they were it. But since Sylveon sort of brought back the eeveelution love that never really left, I might as well say another thing...

Mega Eeveelutions! With all the new Pokemon come in and with many new ways to battle, eevee and quite a few of its evolved forms can't keep up. Especially Flareon, Leafeon, and yes... Glaceon. Since they're not great in battle, they could get mega evolutions. Why though? Well, eeveelutions are LOVED by a massive amount of the Pokemon fan base, and I bet a lot of those people would love to use their eeveelutions in battle. Thus Mega Evolution. This would be serious fanservice to tons of people who've always had those 1 or 2 eeveelutions they've always held dear (Glaceon and Jolteon). And it would give the adorable Pokemon Eevee much more love!

Now, here's some horrible logic as to when these could be released:

Sun and Moon: Vaporeon, Jolteon, and Flareon, obviously, it's these guys 20th anniversary, and they are the very first eeveelutions. It actually makes sense that they could get mega evolutions here.

Eclipse/ 3rd Version: Espeon and Umbreon. Sun and Moon when together form an Eclipse. Since these two Pokemon are kinda opposites in the EXACT SAME WAY, then they could be released in this game.

D/P Remakes: Hopefully these games come this generation... But Leafeon and Glaceon would get mega evolutions here, which perfectly makes sense. Why? Well they were released way back when Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum were the newest installments to the games (though they were only obtainable in Platinum. Please correct me if I'm wrong). Since this was when they were first released, in the Sinnoh days, then we could get their mega evolutions in the remakes of their debut games, which makes perfect sense.

Generation 8: Sylveon is just too new to get a mega evolution in Generation 7...

Overall, since Eevee has had a ton of love over the years, why not give it a Big Bang finale with giving the 8 forms of Eevee Mega Evolutions?
Well Mega Evolution might of been a one hit wonder but if it isn't then I am all for this

Alolal Eeveelutions anyone?

What do you think about that? I think that the problem is how their type is reflected in their names.. Although they can still make Jolteon Electric/Poison etc..

I doubt it; the rationale behind alola forms is the exact same behind eevee's evolution, the only difference being that evolution (at least for now, until we see an alola exeggcute) isn't the key part. Why would you make an ice-type jolteon if you have glaceon, or a grass-type vaporeon if you have leafeon?

The eeveelutions were always meant to be the purest examples of their typing, since unlike other pokemon, they evolved specifically to adapt perfectly to whatever environment they found themselves in, and their design reflects that; a water-type eevee, or whatever eeveelution, would be a vaporeon.

The eeveelutions were always meant to be the purest examples of their typing, since unlike other pokemon, they evolved specifically to adapt perfectly to whatever environment they found themselves in, and their design reflects that; a water-type eevee, or whatever eeveelution, would be a vaporeon.

Only Leafeon and Glaceon "evolve adapting to their environment" (on a side-note, Eevee-->Glaceon is amazingly close to Alola forms of Sandshrew/Vulpix in that light), the first 3 are purely evolution from being exposed to a strong elemental source for example. And Sylveon clearly has nothing to do with environment, with it being more akin to Espeon/Umbreon from a strong bond with the trainer, but without exposure to daylight or absence thereof playing a role. And I'd even argue that it's a lie for LEafeon and Glaceon, as it's not just "the environment", but very specific rocks reminiscent of the evolutionary stones in the first place which cause said evolutions.

But I completely agree. Let's stop pushing eeveelutions into new twists that their concept was never about, they've already been taken further than intended just for the sake of fanservice.

Only Leafeon and Glaceon "evolve adapting to their environment" (on a side-note, Eevee-->Glaceon is amazingly close to Alola forms of Sandshrew/Vulpix in that light), the first 3 are purely evolution from being exposed to a strong elemental source for example. And Sylveon clearly has nothing to do with environment, with it being more akin to Espeon/Umbreon from a strong bond with the trainer, but without exposure to daylight or absence thereof playing a role. And I'd even argue that it's a lie for LEafeon and Glaceon, as it's not just "the environment", but very specific rocks reminiscent of the evolutionary stones in the first place which cause said evolutions.

But I completely agree. Let's stop pushing eeveelutions into new twists that their concept was never about, they've already been taken further than intended just for the sake of fanservice.

Eevee was always complicated because they always made exceptions for them, and were restricted by game mechanics; first, it was the only pokemon to have a branched line (hence why it used stones instead of natural evolution; in the days of RBY, environmental evolution was unthinkable). Eevee is the only pokemon that can evolve with more than one elemental stone; an exception to the rule.
Then, they had to add two more evolutions, without stones, so they did that "friendship at day/night" thing. Granted, they did expand this evolution form to other pokemon later, even if at the time it was the exception.
After that, they still couldn't make environmental evolution (I imagine, because they might not have wanted to be forced to include all the necessary climates in subsequent games), so they improvised a couple of items that would work like evolutionary stones, without adding two new evolutionary stones; eevee is the only pokemon that uses them; another exception for eevee.
And finally, they had to add yet another evolution, but couldn't come up with anything (sylveon isn't, unlike the rest, linked to the environment as element, just to the environment as "having a caring trainer", which isn't necessarily exclusive to it, really), so they had to improvise yet another friendship-based form of evolution; I understand sylveon is the only one who uses pokemon Amie, right? Yet another exception.

The point being, trying to find a consistent logic behind the in-game adaptations of eevee is, at the very least, a quixotic endeavor, because there is no logic, just needs and patch solutions (exceptions), because eevee is one of the most marketable pokemon and the eeveelutions are merchandising gold; as you said, they already pushed it too much because of fanservice; I do hope they end before they go too far.
Anyway, because of that, I'd much rather go by the anime's rationale of eevee having an unstable DNA that makes it prone to evolving spontaneously, and the resulting pokemon be perfectly adapted to the environment (or time of day, or trainer) where it evolved.

The point being, trying to find a consistent logic behind the in-game adaptations of eevee is, at the very least, a quixotic endeavor, because there is no logic, just needs and patch solutions (exceptions), because eevee is one of the most marketable pokemon and the eeveelutions are merchandising gold; as you said, they already pushed it too much because of fanservice; I do hope they end before they go too far.
Anyway, because of that, I'd much rather go by the anime's rationale of eevee having an unstable DNA that makes it prone to evolving spontaneously, and the resulting pokemon be perfectly adapted to the environment (or time of day, or trainer) where it evolved.

This is my issue with the path the video games have taken in general; so often it seems like something gets tacked on instead of being properly added, because of some no longer admirable desire to avoid contradicting older games, which were very limited by their hardware. I'd rather they just retcon things and simplify how some Pokémon Evolve, instead of "Oh, [insert Pokémon] can use [insert new mechanic] to Evolve, so that we can explain why it could not Evolve in this game that people are only still playing because we just re-released it on the Virtual Console." Plus most of us know not to expect an older game to completely line up with a new one (see most long running series).

Now, even though part of me is sick of Eevee getting Eeveelutions, I really do think the-powers-that-be need to hurry up and release one for each Type that lacks it. Why? Well as soon as they decided to expand the roster in Gen II with Espeon and Umbreon, it became clear that existing Types (in this case Psychic) could have an Eeveelution. With the nature of Eevee being what it is, it just seems odd that it would not have an Eeveelution for each Type. As for why it needs to happen sooner rather than later... Pokémon isn't just about generations in game, but in real life now. The designer's should not underestimate what happens when you leave future Eeveelutions in the wind too long. At first I thought the designs were just flat out getting worse... but then I realized the problem was just I liked (or at least had become too used to) fan concepts for the Eeveelutions, because after 5, 10, 15, etc. years of there being nothing official, that's what happens.

And finally, they had to add yet another evolution, but couldn't come up with anything (sylveon isn't, unlike the rest, linked to the environment as element, just to the environment as "having a caring trainer", which isn't necessarily exclusive to it, really), so they had to improvise yet another friendship-based form of evolution; I understand sylveon is the only one who uses pokemon Amie, right? Yet another exception.

Eevee's evolution into Sylveon is arguably the most random of the bunch as it needs to have a solid bond (2-3 hearts) in Amie AND it needs to level up knowing a fairy-type move.

Speaking of which, Sylveon seemed like the inception of using Eevee to introduce the fans to new mechanics in the game such as being an intro into the Fairy type as well as giving you any reason to even touch Amie. It's seems like in the future Eevee could be used as a way to help market new evolution methods and new typings, basically becoming a gimmick for new things GF may want us to use/explore.

The closest we've gotten to "environmental evolution" for Eevee were Glaceon and Leafeon. Gen 4 is probably the closest we'll get to environmental evolution anyways since Pokemon like Magneton and Nosepass evolved at a certain location, and if Eevee would've gotten an evolution at Mt. Coronet like those guys, we could've seen a Steel type Eevee, or possibly an alternative to where Jolteon could've been obtained had it not been in Gen 1.

It's possible we won't see the rest of the types getting Eeveelutions for the next several gens unless they drop them all in one gen through some crazy new evolution mechanic.

The closest we've gotten to "environmental evolution" for Eevee were Glaceon and Leafeon. Gen 4 is probably the closest we'll get to environmental evolution anyways since Pokemon like Magneton and Nosepass evolved at a certain location, and if Eevee would've gotten an evolution at Mt. Coronet like those guys, we could've seen a Steel type Eevee, or possibly an alternative to where Jolteon could've been obtained had it not been in Gen 1.

You're right. Environmental evolution exists.
Then, why invent the moss and icy rocks for eevee, instead of just having it evolve in eterna forest and route-whatever-it-was, or lake acuity, or snowpoint, or mt.coronet's summit? it's not like the mechanic was later expanded, it didn't even need to be introduced in the first place.
I mean, they could have used the rocks in case a region lacks a forest (unlikely) or a cold area (more likely, but still), but why not use environmental evolution?

See? the more you think about it, the more messy eevee looks. And I think no other pokemon ever got environmental evolutions; how do magneton and nosepass evolve in XY?

Then, why invent the moss and icy rocks for eevee, instead of just having it evolve in eterna forest and route-whatever-it-was, or lake acuity, or snowpoint, or mt.coronet's summit? it's not like the mechanic was later expanded
Actually I think GF might be trying to slightly push away the necessity of the mossy and icy rocks. I just remembered in ORAS that in the Petalburg Woods (or Petalburg Forest I don't remember the name exactly) that Eevee can evolve into Leafeon just about anywhere in that forest, but this may be because the mossy rock is in the very far upper right corner of the area. The same can't really be said with Glaceon I think since the icy rock is in some tiny room at the bottom of Shoal Cave.

So it's actually possible GF might just give it a try in Gen 8, but I'd first like to see how they approach the mossy and icy rock in Alola.

Last edited:
Actually I think GF might be trying to slightly push the necessity of the mossy and icy rocks. I just remembered in ORAS that in the Petalburg Woods (or Petalburg Forest I don't remember the name exactly) that Eevee can evolve into Leafeon just about anywhere in that forest, but this may be because the mossy rock is in the very far upper right corner of the area. The same can't really be said with Glaceon I think since the icy rock is in some tiny room at the bottom of Shoal Cave.

So it's actually possible GF might just give it a try in Gen 8, but I'd first like to see how they approach the mossy and icy rock in Alola.

Well we do have two locations known that can hold such rocks in Alola: Lush Jungle and the icy mountain. Lurantis was stated as the Totem Pokemon of this Lush Jungle and Sandshrew/Vulpix are in the icy mountain.

Back