• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Dragonite EX / Butterfree

DeepSleepDarkrai

Aspiring Trainer
Pokemon:

• 3-3-3 Butterfree Flashfire
    3 Dragonite EX Furious Fist
    3 Emolga EX XY
    1 Jirachi EX Plasma Blast
    2-2 Altaria Legendary Treasures and Dragons Exalted
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums:

• 4 Muscle Band
    3 Super Scoop Up
    4 N
    4 Ultra Ball
    2 Lysandre
    3 Professor Juniper
    2 Pokemon Fan Club
    2 Energy Retrieval
    1 Startling Megaphone
    1 Scoop Up Cyclone
    2 Skyla
Energy:

• 8 Grass
    4 Lightning

Strategy:
It's pretty simple start with either Emolga EX or Caterpie, and quickly evolve to Butterfree, and use either Quiver Dance or Energy Glide to grab a Lightning Energy for the Turn 2 Dragonite EX Jet Sonic. Altaria is there to boost damage to OHKO EXs.

So, let me know what you think and what I can do to improve the deck. Thanks in advance.

RE: Dragonite EX

Probably the best use of Dragonite EX I have seen so far.
I'll play test this over the weekend and get back to you!

Personally, having 2 ways to get out energy onto Dragonite is too much.You really only need 1. In addition, Butterfree gives no help to the deck unless if you can get one up on turn 1, which will be extremely hard with the concept you're trying to achieve.
Here's my opinion:
- 3-3-3 Butterfree Flashfire
- 1 Electric Energy
- 1 Emolga EX
-1 Energy Retrieval
-1 Muscle Band

+1 Superior Energy Retrieval
+2 Virizion EX
+1 Grass Energy
+4 Hypnotoxic Laser
+2 Virbank
+1 Skyla

I don't know if you own any, but Virizion EX is a great addition to the deck. It can remove status conditions and can help set up a dragonite EX. It also has some more HP then emolga EX, but its situational (against Seismatoad you'd want to use more Virizions but against Yveltal you'd want to use emolga). In addition, you need more damage onto the field. Energy glide and quiver dance do no additional damage to the defending pokemon, which is the reason I completely took out the butterfree line. This may not seem like a big deal when you have 4 muscle band and a 2-2 altaria line, but thats still a whole lot to get onto the field at once to do 180 damage. With LaserBank, you can do 170 damage without discarding an energy...which is an OHKO to most EXs. It also helps to set up early damage and even stall your opponent.
I feel that grass is needed more then electric in this deck. Emolga uses any energy for its attack, and most of the time you're discarding a grass for Dragonites attack. So with all of the scooping cards you might not need as many electric energy. Kind of like Rayquaza/Blastoise decks in perspective.
This also brings up the -1 muscle band. Again, if your scooping up dragonites you'll have multiple uses of 1 muscle band.

Some other suggestions:
+1-2 Max potion: This would be something to test with, but if you are always busting in, you will have many damaged dragonites on the bench. A max potion or 2 will help greatly.
+1 Megaphone: 2 would be better against garb decks, but its a meta call (depending on the area).
+ Juniper/Colress: I totally overlooked your list, and saw only Ns drawing you cards. I think these 2 will need to be added to your list, I'll modify my post again once I have the time.

Elbow said:
Personally, having 2 ways to get out energy onto Dragonite is too much.You really only need 1. In addition, Butterfree gives no help to the deck unless if you can get one up on turn 1, which will be extremely hard with the concept you're trying to achieve.
Here's my opinion:
- 3-3-3 Butterfree Flashfire
- 1 Electric Energy
- 1 Emolga EX
-1 Energy Retrieval
-1 Muscle Band

+1 Superior Energy Retrieval
+2 Virizion EX
+1 Grass Energy
+4 Hypnotoxic Laser
+2 Virbank
+1 Skyla

I don't know if you own any, but Virizion EX is a great addition to the deck. It can remove status conditions and can help set up a dragonite EX. It also has some more HP then emolga EX, but its situational (against Seismatoad you'd want to use more Virizions but against Yveltal you'd want to use emolga). In addition, you need more damage onto the field. Energy glide and quiver dance do no additional damage to the defending pokemon, which is the reason I completely took out the butterfree line. This may not seem like a big deal when you have 4 muscle band and a 2-2 altaria line, but thats still a whole lot to get onto the field at once to do 180 damage. With LaserBank, you can do 170 damage without discarding an energy...which is an OHKO to most EXs. It also helps to set up early damage and even stall your opponent.
I feel that grass is needed more then electric in this deck. Emolga uses any energy for its attack, and most of the time you're discarding a grass for Dragonites attack. So with all of the scooping cards you might not need as many electric energy. Kind of like Rayquaza/Blastoise decks in perspective.
This also brings up the -1 muscle band. Again, if your scooping up dragonites you'll have multiple uses of 1 muscle band.

Some other suggestions:
+1-2 Max potion: This would be something to test with, but if you are always busting in, you will have many damaged dragonites on the bench. A max potion or 2 will help greatly.
+1 Megaphone: 2 would be better against garb decks, but its a meta call (depending on the area).
+ Juniper/Colress: I totally overlooked your list, and saw only Ns drawing you cards. I think these 2 will need to be added to your list, I'll modify my post again once I have the time.

Thank you for your suggestions, I don't agree with Virizion EX in this deck as it slows the deck down. I will take into account the three Emolga EX and possible exchange some of them for a Miltank or two. I do see the lack of draw supporters so I will make changes for those. Max Potions would be great for this deck so I will make sure to alter the list to include some of those.

I dont think your getting the point. If you want to make the deck with butterfree then you'll have to take out the emolga. And for the Virizion EX it should be in any deck running grass. Whether or not if your using its attack, its ability shouldn't be overlooked.

Elbow said:
I dont think your getting the point. If you want to make the deck with butterfree then you'll have to take out the emolga. And for the Virizion EX it should be in any deck running grass. Whether or not if your using its attack, its ability shouldn't be overlooked.

I do get your point and appreciate your suggestions. However, that does not mean I have to use all of your suggestions. I'm not overlooking Virizion's ability, I would rather attack turn 2 and only lose 1 prize instead of 2. Also Dragonite EX ability can help with status conditions. If there is any other suggestions that you have I will consider them, but I will not be adding Virizion to this deck.

Virizion EX should be in this deck. Verdent wind makes it a lot harder for Dragonite EX to be onshoted. Emolga EX would also give up 2 prizes and is a lot easier to KO than Virizion EX so your logic makes no sense. Elbow isnt saying put 4 Virizion EX in the deck he is just sying that you should put 1-2 Virizion EX.

Ironman131 said:
Virizion EX should be in this deck. Verdent wind makes it a lot harder for Dragonite EX to be onshoted. Emolga EX would also give up 2 prizes and is a lot easier to KO than Virizion EX so your logic makes no sense. Elbow isnt saying put 4 Virizion EX in the deck he is just sying that you should put 1-2 Virizion EX.

Once again I appreciate the suggestion but, I will not be using Virizion EX in this deck.

You don't have to be rude. All I'm suggesting is that you can't expect to always be busting in. It doesn't minimize the damage output by your opponent. While this is still a suggestion, its highly suggested. Having 180 hp for a pokemon means death by anything doing 150 damage and laser bank. Or 130 plus muscle band. All of this damage is reduced by 30 if you put it one virizion. You don't have to use him for attacking purposes, but at least as a bench tech sitter that just helps you out all game.

Elbow said:
You don't have to be rude. All I'm suggesting is that you can't expect to always be busting in. It doesn't minimize the damage output by your opponent. While this is still a suggestion, its highly suggested. Having 180 hp for a pokemon means death by anything doing 150 damage and laser bank. Or 130 plus muscle band. All of this damage is reduced by 30 if you put it one virizion. You don't have to use him for attacking purposes, but at least as a bench tech sitter that just helps you out all game.
I'm sorry Elbow I didn't mean to be rude, if I included Virizion EX, but kept the Butterfree line what would I take out.

Ironman131 said:
Ok enjoy your subpar deck, if you dont want other peoples inputs then dont post.

That was one of the most rude posts I've ever read
He said he's taking suggestions, which he did, but he doesn't want Virizion EX. How does that mean he's not willing to take your input? You're being very rude to him IMHO

The point is, don't use Virizion EX for the attack, use it for the ability so you can't get poisoned is what they mean.

Ironman131 said:
Ok enjoy your subpar deck, if you dont want other peoples inputs then dont post.

....i just love how you people are insulting this guy for building a deck. he liked some of your ideas, and decided not to use others. virizion is perfect for either genesect or mewtwo decks. where as with this deck you just need the total energy in play because of dragonite EX's ability bust in.

i mean seriously guys its a card game....

DeepSleepDarkrai said:
Elbow said:
I'm sorry Elbow I didn't mean to be rude, if I included Virizion EX, but kept the Butterfree line what would I take out.

I didn't mean you were rude :p
The other person called you're deck subpar!

Since a bunch of people have posted with it, then I will refrain from removing the post in question.

But Ironman, dude, chill. I get that it may be irritating when people don't use your advice, but that is no reason to snap at someone.

But as for the note of Virizion EX in this deck, I would recommend one in the place of a Muscle Band. Four is a bit excessive. That ability is too useful to pass up, honestly. Trust me, I use them quite a lot. And it isn't used just to get rid of the status condition, keep in mind, that that thirty extra damage is really amazing to get the KO on Dragonite for decks like Yveltal.

Oh wow. A lot has gone down since I've been here.
Anyway, I play tested the deck.

I seem to over draw on emolga so I might take one out.

I agree with your idea to not run Virzion Ex.
If you're going to run Virizion then you should just run a Genesect deck.

In all it's a very difficult deck to pull off. The only reason I'm trying to build it is because my girlfriend really wants to play Dragonite.

Probably going to try and make some minor adjustments like adding max potion and removing scoop up cyclone.

I'll post my deck list when I fully test. Thanks for the idea!

my current league deck is Virgen Dragonite, set up reg like its a genesect deck, start sweeping like its a genesect deck, then, when you are about to loose your G Boostered Genesect, bust in with dragon ite and use him as a stall attacker while you power up g booster again! its so much fun to run and really screws with your rival haha

Tanner said:
Oh wow. A lot has gone down since I've been here.
Anyway, I play tested the deck.

I seem to over draw on emolga so I might take one out.

I agree with your idea to not run Virzion Ex.
If you're going to run Virizion then you should just run a Genesect deck.

In all it's a very difficult deck to pull off. The only reason I'm trying to build it is because my girlfriend really wants to play Dragonite.

Probably going to try and make some minor adjustments like adding max potion and removing scoop up cyclone.

I'll post my deck list when I fully test. Thanks for the idea!

Back