DMZ
98-yanmega.jpg
107-donphan.jpg

Deck: DMZ
Author: DawnOfXatu (Masters Division)
Format: HGSS-BW
Date Written: August 8th 2011

Introduction
Hey everybody, DOX here with my fifth installment of DOX's PreWorlds Article Extravaganza. If you've missed any of my previous articles you can find them at Donphans and Dragons, MegaZone, ReshiPhlosion, KY-Jelly, and ZPSY. I've been testing for Worlds, and giving the populous information on popular decks that they may see at the LCQ or Worlds. Anyways today we're gonna be hitting a fairly popular deck, so I may as well get started...

Yanmega/Donphan/Zoroark
After placing second in US Nationals, Yanmega/Donphan/Zoroark or DMZ has become one of, if not the most popular deck in the format. Boasting quick and powerful Stage One Pokemon, this deck has many options for each match, allowing for a skillfull player to react and play according to the matchup. Utilizing the speedy and disruptive Yanmega, the bulky and powerful Donphan, and the counteractive Zoroark this deck has something to throw at every deck. However creating a proper decklist for this deck can be difficult, the amounts of Zoroark and Donphan are directly correlated to the metagame, and the deck can become crowded with all of the cards that this deck necessitates. Overall this deck will be a contender at Worlds, but to what extent it will be successfull is still not clear.

Decklist
Pokemon: 20
3 Yanmega Prime 98-TM
4 Yanma 84-TM
3 Donphan Prime 107-HGSS
3 Phanpy 77-HGSS
2 Zoroark 71-BW
2 Zorua 70-BW
1 Reshiram 113-BW
1 Cleffa 17-HGSS
1 Manaphy 3-UL

Energy: 11
3 Double Colorless Energy
8 Fighting Energy

Trainers: 29
4 Pokemon Collector 97-HGSS
4 Pokemon Communication 98-HGSS
4 Judge 78-UL
4 Junk Arm 87-TM
4 Professor Oak's New Theory 101-HGSS
3 PlusPower 80-UL
3 Pokemon Reversal 99-HGSS
2 Copycat 90-HGSS
1 Switch 102-HGSS

Deck Build Specifics
Yanmega and Yanma: One of the three main attackers in this deck, Yanmega provides quick and easy damage early in the game. With Judge providing disruption as well, Yanmega is normally the centerpiece for this deck, with the other two Pokemon being afterthoughts. The fourth Yanma is added to provide more free-retreating basics which is important for the decks versatility. Yanmega handles most Donphan decks, and it can also quickly power through any decks that do not have a way to set up efficiantly.

Donphan and Phanpy: This deck utilizes a thicker Donphan line than Zoroark line in order to increase the odds in the MegaZone matchup. If you cannot start with a Yanmega, Donphan makes for another great early game attacker dropping 60 damage a turn. The recoil damage to the bench can be problematic though, so only use Donphan when needed. Donphan also knocks out anything that hits Yanmega for weakness with the help of a PlusPower. Both Magnezone and Zekrom fall to Donphan without much difficulty.

Zoroark and Zorua: Zoroark uses Double Colorless Energy to copy opponents attacks, making it a quick and dangerous card. Zoroark helps to equalize the Reshiram and Zoroark matchups, who can be knocked out by copying their own attack and a PlusPower. Zoroark can also act as an emergency attacker in almost any situation, as its ability to copy attacks gives it an unlimited range of possibilities.

Reshiram: Definitely a niche card in the deck, Reshiram was added to help counteract Kingdra which can become an issue for this deck, especially since it runs heavy amounts of Donphan. A single Reshiram on the bench can render a Kingdra useless against this deck, and it can also be used as an Outrage attacker against rogue Grass and Steel decks that could possibly have a showing at the LCQ.

Cleffa and Manaphy: Cleffa and Manaphy provide drawpower and more Pokemon with free retreat to this deck. This deck doesn't always have the greatest start what with the multiple Pokemon lines all together, so having access to hand refreshment is crucial. Cleffa gives more hand refreshment for less energy, but later in the game it makes more sense to use Manaphy as it has more staying power with an extra 20 HP and the same free retreat.

Energy: A fairly standard amount of energy for a deck such as this one, which requires two or less energy for every attacker. Yanmega doesn't require any energy, Donphan only needs a single Fighting energy to attack, and Zoroark can attack with either two Fighting energy or a single Double Colorless Energy. With that in mind eleven energy is a fair amount of energy for this deck. The fourth Double Colorless Energy isn't needed since you only play a couple Zoroark to begin with.

Search Engine (Pokemon Collector and Pokemon Communication): As with most decks that rely heavily on having a Stage One Pokemon out and attacking by the second turn of the game, this deck requires a max amount of both Pokemon Collector and Pokemon Communication. Any amount less and you will start to have trouble getting the Pokemon that you need at the correct time.

Draw Engine (Judge, Copycat, and Professor Oak's New Theory): In a deck such as this one where you want to make sure that your hand is the same size as your opponents in order to attack with Yanmega, but you also want a decent amount of regular hand refreshement to make sure that you are capable of bringing out all of the different Pokemon lines in your deck without issue. Four Judge and Professor Oak's New Theory gives you the disruption and consistency that you crave. The two extra Copycat are played as an extra form of hand refreshement and a way to equalize hands with your opponent.

Assorted Trainers (PlusPower, Junk Arm, Swtich, and Pokemon Reversal): Each of these cards are needed for the deck to run smoothly and grab as many knock outs as possible, however finding the needed space for all of the cards is where the problem arises. Four Junk Arm allows for the maximum amount of recycling in regards to your trainers, while three of PlusPower and Pokemon Reversal make for the highest amount that you can have in the deck without foregoing consistency and space constraints. The single Switch is there to provide a way to move your Donphan, and it can also be recycled with Junk Arm.

Possible Techs
There is relatively no space available in this deck, nor are there many threats to this deck that have not already been teched against or are already handled by one of the three main Pokemon in this deck. Should you find yourself with extra space in your build, I would suggest that you bulk up your trainer lines before you attempt to tech anything else.

Matchups
Vs. Yanmega/Magnezone : Slightly Unfavorable This matchup is difficult due to the consistency and power that the other deck brings to the table. Magnezone means trouble for your Yanmega, and while you can then counteract that Magnezone with your Donphan, they can then send out a Yanmega and work around your Donphan. Their Kingdra tech becomes less important due to your Reshiram, but you have to hope that they don't Reversal it and knock it out with Magnezone so that they can use thier Kingdra without fear.

Vs. Kingdra/Yanmega/Jirachi : Slightly Unfavorable Between Yanmega and Kingdra's Spray Splash it is easy for this deck to hit those magic numbers for Jirachi to be able to devolve and knock out multiple Pokemon. Donphan is relatively useless in this matchup with Yanmega and Kingdra both being decent ways to counter Donphan. So all they have to do is beat out your Yanmega and your Zoroark by devolving them and your game will fall apart. However your deck is slightly quicker than theirs, so you may be able to work your way around them.

Vs. Reshiram/Typhlosion/Ninetales : Even With a much quicker setup than your opponent you should be able to grab a decent early lead. After they have set themselves up you just have to be able to keep up with the prize trade off in order to win. Early disruption will also give you an advantage in this matchup as an early game Judge can spell disaster for ReshiPhlosion. Zoroark will also be important in this matchup as it will give you the ability to hit Reshiram for big damage relatively cheaply.

Vs. Donphan/Zekrom/Reshiram : Favorable While your opponent only really has access to Donphan and Zekrom for attackers, you have Donphan and Yanmega both of which can be used to counter Donphan and Zekrom. This match will be all about hitting the Reversals and more importantly thinking ahead. You are going to take cheap prizes against their Zekrom, so as long as you make sure to keep an extra Yanmega or two around to deal with their Donphan you should be all set.

Vs. Zekrom/Pachirisu/Shaymin/Yanmega : Favorable Zekrom variants are always going to be easy for this deck, as you hit them for weakness, as long as you don't get stuck using your Yanmega for too much of the game you will be fine. Zoroark can also be a big hitter against Zekrom, and it will also be helpful when dealing with their Yanmega too. Overall most of this battle will be you taking easy prizes, and when you are not, you will be dealing with Yanmega.

Vs. MewBox : Slightly Favorable The MewBox matchup is a strange one. Donphan and Yanmega will be important early in the game to deal with the Mew Prime, but you have to make sure that you don't have too many spare Donphan laying around, as you want to avoid getting dragged by Muk. With that in mind you are also going to want to try and hit as many Reversals as possible early so that you can prevent the Vileplume lock for as long as you can. Beyond that this matchup is just about hitting them harder and more consistently than they can hit you.

Closing Thoughts
I'd be remiss if I didn't at least mention that this decklist was made by my friend who in turn was inspired by an article by Kenny Wisdom on http://google.com/. The decklists are similar enough that I do believe he deserves some level of inspirational credit. Aside from that thanks for reading. I have one last decklist article to write, MewBox, and I am going to try to have that done by tonight also. If you have any questions, comments, concerns, or would just like to give me some praise, I'm all ears.

Another excellent article!! One question: Is the the 4-3 yanmega line for better starts with yanma?

EDIT: found a mistake in the first paragraph. This is the 6th installment. Nothing major.

The fourth is for more free-retreating basics as DoX mentioned in the specifics. Anyway, awesome article nonetheless. Even though I'm not going to Worlds this still gives me a better view of the metagame. Keep up the great work.

I've been reading each and every one of these articles, and they have all been a huge help to know what to expect, and how to build the ones I like, and I can't wait to see your final article. Great job!

Back