MewBox
97-mew.jpg
24-vileplume.jpg

Deck: MewBox
Author: DawnOfXatu (Masters Division)
Format: HGSS-BW
Date Writen: August 9th 2011

Introduction
Hey everybody, DOX here, and I finally have my final decklist article for DOX's PreWorlds Article Extravagana. It's a great feeling to be done working my way through these deck articles, as now I can get into some more important and subjective information, after this it will be less about the decks and more about what you can expect to see preformance wise at the LCQ and Worlds. Anyways if you've missed any of my previous articles you can find them at Donphans and Dragons, MegaZone, ReshiPhlosion, KY-Jelly, ZPSY, and DMZ. Anyways today I am taking a look at one of the less advertised decks in the format...

MewBox
The idea of using Mew Prime to toss a bunch of Pokemon into the Lost Zone in order to use their attacks isn't a new one. MewPerior was a known deck last format which revolved around Mew Prime tossing Rhyperior Lv.X into the Lost Zone and then attempting to attack freely every turn for 250 damage. Now there are not as many powerful options for MewBox, but there are plenty of options that rely on placing your opponent into difficult situations. With Muk and Crobat Prime both allowing for disruptive poison, and Vileplume locking all trainers, this deck can drag up a Pokemon with an excessive retreat cost, and then capitalize on that retreat cost by locking it into the active position while being Poisoned and Confused. Now while that is the main purpose to this deck, there are plenty of other options for techs that can also be tossed into the Lost Zone to give Mew Prime even more options. Overall this deck hasn't had any extremely impressive showings, although it was a contender in both Canadian and US Nationals. Being an under the radar deck, MewBox players can normally surprise their opponents for a win. However whether or not MewBox can stand up to well seasoned players in a competitive environment such as Worlds will be seen.

The Decklist
Pokemon: 25
4 Mew Prime 97-TM
2 Crobat Prime 84-UL
2 Muk 31-UD
1 Jumpluff 6-HGSS
3 Yanmega Prime 98-TM
3 Yanma 84-TM
3 Vileplume 24-UD
2 Gloom 27-UD
3 Oddish 60-UD
1 Sunflora 31-HGSS
1 Sunkern 85-HGSS

Energy: 13
3 Rainbow Energy 104-HGSS
4 Grass Energy
6 Psychic Energy

Trainers: 22
4 Pokemon Collector 97-HGSS
4 Pokemon Communication 98-HGSS
4 Judge 78-UL
3 Copycat 90-HGSS
3 Rare Candy 82-UL
2 Professor Elm's Training Method 100-HGSS
2 Professor Oak's New Theory 101-HGSS

Deck Build Specifics
Mew Prime: The centerpiece of this deck, Mew is both your ideal starter and your main attacker. When you start with Mew your first job is to make sure that you See Off one or two Pokemon that you feel will be crucial in the upcomming battle. To do this you need to be able to see and understand opposing decks and what will be the most effective against them. Normally Muk and Crobat/Jumpluff will be what you see off. Later on in the game you will be using those Pokemon's attacks to either disrupt, snipe, or knock out opposing Pokemon cheaply and quickly.

Muk: Although definitely not adverstised as it, Muk is the most important card in this deck. Using Muk's first attack you can drag out a Pokemon with a high retreat cost, or just no energy attached, and then let them squirm while you slowly eat away at them with Poison. With Vileplume locking trainer cards, Muk's attack is all the more potent, as your opponent cannot simply use Switch to get out of the situation.

Crobat Prime: Another staple card in a MewBox, Crobat provides a way to spread damage to your opponents Pokemon after you have locked a useless Pokemon in the active position, a way to snipe Baby Pokemon if your opponent decides to play them, and a way to counter Donphan with its Severe Poison attack.

Jumpluff: Jumpluff is the third staple card in a MewBox. Jumpluff provides a way to deal sizeable damage when it becomes necessary. Jumpluffs second attack can also let Mew deal smaller amounts of damage in order to give Mew some extra defence for the next turn. Overall Jumpluff isn't as key of a card to this deck as Crobat or Muk, which is why there is only one copy of this card, as you can still manage to play even if Jumpluff is prized.

Yanmega and Yanma: With Mew Prime being a frail main attacker, you are going to need to have a secondary attacker, the most effective of which would be Yanmega. Yanmega joins Crobat as a sniper which can work together to slowly bring down any threats that your opponent may be building on thier bench. Yanma has free retreat which is important because you want to have Mew Prime attacking as soon as possible. Another bonus for including Yanmega is that you now have another reason to use Judge. Now you can lock your opponents hand, and then gain free attacks for Yanmega.

Vileplume, Gloom, and Oddish: Another key part of the deck, Vileplume is needed as soon as possible so that you can lock your opponents trainers, an important part of this deck as it allows for Muk's attack to become incredible. A 3-2-3 line is used to ensure that you can get out a Vileplume quickly.

Sunflora and Sunkern: Sunflora is a great tech to have in order to allow you to continue to get out Yanmega and Vileplume even when under trainer lock. A quick Sunflora can even help you to get out a Vileplume in the first place. Having a bench sitter in a deck like this isn't even as huge of a threat as Vileplume will lock Pokemon Reversal.

Energy: The energy count in this deck is fairly standard for a Yanmega variant. For a deck that has energy costs ranging between zero and one. The Rainbow Energy can be used for either type of energy cost, either Grass or Psychic, and the remainder of the energy are devoted to giving Mew the needed energy to attack with whatever you sent to the Lost Zone.

Search Engine (Pokemon Collector, Pokemon Communication, Professor Elm's Training Method): Since getting a Vileplume on the second turn is so crucial to this deck the overall search engine has been bulked up from the customary 4/4 Collector/Communication to also include two extra Professor Elm's Training Method, which can be used under Trainer lock to build up needed evolutions or grab the needed Vileplume card on the second turn.

Draw Engine (Judge, Copycat, Professor Oak's New Theory): With Yanmega as a secondary attacker you are going to be playing Judge and Copycat to equalize your hand with your opponent. Judge and Trainer Lock can bring your opponents game to a hault, while Copycat can be used if your opponent has a large hand filled with Trainers, or you just need some refreshment yourself. Professor Oak's New Theory also provides some consistent hand refreshment.

Rare Candy: Three Rare Candy maximizes the chances of getting an early Vileplume without having too much dead draw later in the game.

Possible Techs
Zoroark 71-BW, Cinccino 89-BW, and Bouffalant 91-BW
All three of these cards would require the player to also fit Double Colorless Energy into their deck. Zoroark and Cinccino both make decent replacements for Yanmega in the deck, and they can both be sent to the Lost Zone by Mew for even more options. Bouffalant can also be sent to the Lost Zone to make any of your Mew revenge attackers for a pair of energy.

Lucario 14-CoL
Playing with Lucario as your backup attacker instead of Yanmega is also an option since you are going to be sending Pokemon to the Lost Zone in the first place. With two Pokemon in the Lost Zone, Lucario can swing for 70 for a single Double Colorless Energy. Although that isn't as powerful as Zoroark or Cinccino, and equally powerful as Yanmega, you do get weakness against Zekrom and Magnezone, who are both in one hit knock out range from Lucario.

Umbreon 22-CoL
Umbreon can be added into this deck to give your Mew yet another way to stall against your opponent. Umbreon's first attack makes it so that your opponents Pokemon with PokePowers or PokeBodies cannot hit your active Mew. This gives you some added safety against rival Magnezone and Donphan, which both would have trouble getting the needed energy to retreat if under Trainer lock.

Leafeon 13-CoL and Roserade 23-UL
Leafeon and Roserade can be added to this deck instead of Jumpluff. You can attach your Rainbow energy to a benched Roserade and then your Mew could attack for 100 damage for a single energy as long as you had a Leafeon in your Lost Zone. This combination is slightly inconsistent, but it does give you a way to deal high amounts of damage while also working with this decks focus on special conditions. You can also swing for 100 damage after dragging out a Pokemon with Muk. The only advantage that Jumpluff has over Leafeon is that it can attack whenever you need it to, so you wouldn't have to rely on Muk or Roserade to deal damage.

Sharpedo 30-TM
While you are attempting to lock your opponent, it would be a great addition to the lock if you were to strip away your opponents hand. With Sharpedo in the Lost Zone and a couple of lucky flips you can lock your opponent beyond saving. Although this is a devestating way to increase the lock, it does require a decent amount of luck and preparation to complete.

Aipom 55-TM or Spinarak 83-HGSS
With Vileplume providing a trainer lock players want a way to capitalize on the lock, be it through Muk, or through one of these two Pokemon who can completely stop your opponent from being able to retreat by either limiting the amount of energy that they can attach (Aipom) or just flat out disallowing retreat (Spinarak) these two can be used to lock non-attacking Pokemon into the active position, in order to stall out a game (not exactly my style though) and they can also be used to lock a Poisoned Pokemon into the active position so that you can slowly chip away at their health.

Mismagius 19-UD
With a Trainer lock in play, Mismagius can be an excellent Pokemon to send to the Lost Zone to give Mew some real attacking Power. With just three trainers stuck in your opponents hand you are swinging for as much as the average Jumpluff would allow, and you still have the ability to attack for much more damage. The only issue would be that Mismagius requires more than one energy to perform its attack, so you are going to be losing more energy quickly.

Jirachi 1-UL and Shaymin 8-UL
You can always chose to drag up a bench sitter with Muk and then start spreading around 40 damage wherever you can with Yanmega and Crobat, with that strategy in mind a player could decide to tech in Jirachi and Shaymin in order to gain multiple knock outs by devolving multple Pokemon with Jirachi. This strategy can be more difficult than most to pull of, but it can result in a huge prize swing in your favor.

Matchups
Vs. Yanmega/Magnezone : Even If they manage to get an early game Yanmega then you are going to have troubles, but if you can manage to get a Muk into the Lost Zone, then you should be able to drag up a Magnezone and buy yourself a couple of turns to finish setting up. I would suggest Lost Zoning a Jumpluff alongside Muk as you are going to need to be aggro if you want to pull off this win against a Yanmega swarm.

Vs. Kingdra/Yanmega/Jirachi : Slightly Unfavorable The major issue against this deck is that they have a way to knock out your benched Vileplume by devolving it. If your opponent can break your trainer lock then you are going to lose. They also don't have many Pokemon that suffer greatly from being dragged up by Muk. Therefore this is another matchup where you are going to have to hope for some quick luck with the Yanmegas and a solid Trainer lock, maybe even having a second Gloom on your bench to make sure that they cannot break your lock easily.

Vs. Reshiram/Typhlosion/Ninetales : Even Both of these decks take a few turns to get set up, but if you can get your Vileplume up before they have a chance to use too many Trainers, you are going to be at the advantage. However if they manage to get set up they are going to take their prizes quickly without much reprisal. Dragging up a Typhlosion can buy you a turn or two if you need it, but other than that you aren't going to have much time to yourself.

Vs. Donphan/Zekrom/Reshiram : Unfavorable Going up against a deck that has great consistency when it comes to dealing 60 damage on the second turn of the game is always difficult. This deck doesn't even have much to fear from the Trainer lock as it tends to run heavy amounts of draw support and doesn't require much set up. Your best hope is to utilize Crobat to counteract the Donphan and then hopefully stall them out with Yanmega. You can also drag them with Muk and hope that the Confusion works in your favor.

Vs. Zekrom/Pachirisu/Shaymin/Yanmega : Even While early in the game your opponent has a decent chance of beating you, if you can get out a Vileplume early then your opponent is going to lose a decent amount of their deck. So after a Trainer lock is established you should be able to trade prizes with your opponent without much fear, and if you can manage to drag up an uncharged Zekrom with Muk then you are going to be able to buy yourself a couple of extra turns in your favor.

Vs. Yanmega/Donphan/Zoroark : Slightly Unfavorable Just like the matchup against Donphan/Zekrom/Reshiram you are going to have trouble against an early Donphan. This matchup really boils down to you having an early Trainer lock while hopefully using Muk to drag an unsuspecting Donphan to buy you some time.

Closing Thoughts
This deck can literally be anything, you can do whatever you want with a MewBox, but most people will agree that Muk/Crobat/Jumpluff are the big three. However any and all of them can be replaced if the player has something that they would like to attempt. It's a great deck, but not exactly the ingredients for success. Anyways this was my final decklist breakdown, and tomorrow I am going to start writing my comprehensive overview for the Last Chance Qualifier and what you can expect to do well there. I will also be taking a look at some rogue options. So if you have anything you would like to say about this article, feel free to say it, and thanks again for reading.

*I am also officially taking reccomendations as to articles/issues that I should address. Also if you feel that you have hit a roadblock while deckbuilding and would like some help, I am normally willing to help out however I can. ~DOX*

No Umbreon? =O
Why not? It's only the best tech vs. Donphan, Yanmega, Magnezone, Kingdra and similar shenanigans. It will change your YanZone and YanDonArk matchup considerably.
Also I don't really see Vileplume. Sure it works with Muk, but it makes you unable to play Revives and other good stuff. I dunno, I haven't tested it.
Other than that, looks fine.

Vileplume is standard in MewBox. It's the only thing that saves you from Reversal and Switch and such.

Umbreon still doesn't beat anything with Yanmega. They just snipe around you, and if you use another attack, they hit the Mew.

DoX, I think you need to change some of your links in the tech section to '.jpg' rather than '.jgp'– they're not working for me, at least. Also, you need an apostrophe in the link for PETM, and Sharpedo's link doesn't take me anywhere...
And I don't see how Aipom helps at all...

I was wondering what your thoughts would be on taking out Yanmega to make room for a 3-2-4 Jumpluff line as a secondary attacker. You could still LZ one and have the Jumpluff to give 30 extra HP when needed against Donphan or Yanmega.

@StealthAngel667 I listed Umbreon as a tech but against Yanmega your opponent is just going to snipe around you while you only deal 30 damage. If you attempt to use Moonlight Fang on a Donphan, then your opponent is just going to take their time setting up something that can take down your Mew, since you will only be doing ten damage a turn. And Vileplume has been pretty standard in MewBox for awhile now, it definitely makes Muk a better play and although you can't use Revive, blocking your opponents Trainers is one huge advantage that this deck needs to win.

@Scizorlicious Thanks for the links and everything there, wrote this pretty late must've mixed some letters when I was typing out the links. Anyways lets say that you've just dragged your opponents full HP Magnezone to the front, but it has no energy attached. Trainer lock is up. That is going to be essentially seven turns where your opponent can't do anything. They may try to get some energy onto the Magnezone in order to attack or retreat. If they do start attaching you can send up Aipom and start moving their energy to places that you see fit, both removing a number of energy from usefulness, and keeping your opponents active locked up front. This can be used with pretty much any Pokemon with an attack and retreat cost of two or more. As for having Jumpluff as a secondary attacker, it is definitely possible, although it does have some drawbacks over Yanmega. You would have to add a couple more energy to the deck. Hoppip is a very donkable starter. It would take one extra turn to set up a Jumpluff which would make it a little less swarmable. You would have twenty less HP than Yanmega so while you would be able to deal more damage, you would also get knocked out with more regularity. Overall I prefer Yanmega, but as another option for somebody who is lacking Yanmega, or would just like to try something new then Jumpluff would be an option.

Would love it if you made an article on how catcher is going to change the meta:)

Great article. I really like the Mewbox strategy and I very much liked your breakdown. Thank you.

Hmm... Sunflora is not needed, a Sunkern start takes away consistancy, and the card is just not needed in general. It has no purpose after Vileplume is set up. Also, 2 Crobat Prime aren't needed, as they only help against Donphan and Samurott, while Jumpluff is key for ohko'ing Yanmegas, and Leaf Guard even helps ohko Donphan, and makes it so only Heavy Impact can ko Mew, which won't be possible T2.

Back