Doubles Rain Dance Heal team (First serious attempt)

UltimateInferno

Guess you could say I like Infernape
Ok, before I start listing my pokemon I want to just say that this team is my first serious attempt at a proper team that functions with eachother. Before my teams used to be just a hazards-setter, then just a bunch of random pokemon that could balance out my team and stop any weaknesses, there was no strategy apart from to trick the opponent with an unexpected moveset (e.g - I run Stone Edge on my Speed-Boost Blaziken and hope that no priority brave bird users appear). Please don't restrain from any advice, comments or even critisism, all replies is going to be noted down and tested eventually. I will not be listing Ev's or Iv's btw since I am quite the noob with all the mechanics and I find it tiring trying to figure out how it works...

First up, Blastoise:

Blastoise @ Blastoisnite
Gentle
Rain Dish --> Mega Launcher
- Hydro Pump
-Aura Sphere
-Dark Pulse
-Ice Beam

My Mega Pokemon and TANK, this guy is the pokemon that made me think of creating a Rain Team. I was building on another one of my teams when I came across Squirtle in the middle of my box, I saw that his ability was Rain Dish and I read what it did, after realizing that it healed him during the rain, bam, rain team idea. The Hydro pump is for STAB and a powerful move, however I am thinking of replacing it for something like surf or Waterfall. Dark Pulse and Aura Sphere is for when I Mega evolve and gain Mega Launcher on my Blastoise and for type coverage. NOTE: I will only mega when I am in need of a bit of extra strength. Ice Beam is for Grass types and coverage.

Politoed @ Wacan Berry
Calm
Drizzle
-Hydro Pump
-Icy Wind
-Helping Hand
-Hyper Voice

This guy the the one who will back up my Blastoise, Drizzle + Rain Dish is a beautiful combo! With this set Politoed gives a good coverage and does great in 2 ways for the team, Drizzle and Helping Hand! Hydro Pump will be powered by the rain and also because of STAB, Icy Wind is weaker than Ice Beam but it will lower the speed of both of the opponents pokemon and also deals with Grass types, and with Calm and Wacan berry, Electric types aren't much of a problem either!

Jellicent @ Weakness Policy/Leftovers
Modest
Water Absorb
-Shadow Ball
-Surf
-Physic
-Toxic/Will-O-Wisp/Energy Ball

Does the same job as Vaporeon but has much more coverage by typing and moves, as well as STAB on Shadow Ball and Surf. Physic is for any poison or fighting types that come in my way and also for coverage. Will-O-Wisp or Toxic is a hard choice, either slow and weaken, or kill in a short period of time. But Energy Ball is also a good idea for coverage against Water, Rock and Ground types that get in my way.

Lapras @ Focus Sash
Modest
Water Absorb
-Surf
-Thunder/Thunderbolt
-Blizzard
-Physic/Confuse Ray

This guy I am going to pair up with Jellicent to spam Surf. Thunder and Blizzard is for coverage and because of the 100% accuracy during the rain (I am a bit unsure about Blizzard's accuracy in the rain however), which is great considering they are extremely powerful and have a high chance to give off Paralysis or to Freeze the opponent. If I don't get a Lapras with Thunder in BW/BW2 to transfer to XY, I will replace with Thunderbolt. For the last spot I will either have Physic for coverage and to defend against Fighting types that threaten Lapras, or Confuse Ray for obvious reasons

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Modest
Swift Swim
-Agility
-Dragon Pulse
-Hydro Pump
-Flash Cannon

My second sweeper, tank and my main revenge kilelr. I prefer Modest over Timid on Kingdra since Swift Swim is already boosting its speed, but just in case I need the extra boost I will have Agility, which I prefer over Dragon Dance on Kingdra since he doesn't need a boost in Attack and his Speed get's boosted by 2 stages instead of one, so Agility+SwiftSwim allows Kingdra to outspeed almost anything! Dragon Pulse and Hydro Pump for STAB and Flash Cannon for coverage and Fairy types.

Ludicolo @ Damp Rock/Weakness Policy
Brave
Swift Swim
-Hydro Pump
-Energy Ball
-Zen Headbutt
-Rain Dance

Ludicolo is one of my favorite pokemon because of its awesome design! Not only does he have Rain Dish, but he also resists grass type moves! I added Energy Ball for the STAB and becase it can help against Rock, Ground and even other Water types. Zen Headbutt is for coverage and Rain Dance is for if the rain stops for some reason, but I am not sure if I should have Damp Rock for the rain to last longer, or Weakness Policy to power up my moves when I'm hit with a super effective move.

Removed Pokemon:
Snorlax @ Chesto Berry/???
Modest
Immunity/Thick Fat
-Surf
-Rest
-Sleep Talk/Snore
-Flamethrower/Fire Blast

Snorlax is simply as a replacement for the Vap&Lap duo incase one of them dies. Rest is for obvious reasons, however incase I use Rest more than once I may have either Snore or Sleep Talk just in case. Flamethrower is for coverage and to deal with pesky Grass types that could screw up my team, but I may have Fire Blast instead because it kills almost anything that doesn't resist fire. Replaced with Kingdra. Removed because Kingdra goes better with the team than Snorlax.

Vaporeon @ Sitrus Berry/Assault vest
Hasty
Water Absorb
-Surf
-Shadow Ball
-Ice Beam
-Dig/Hidden Power/???

Vaporeon is my Speedy attacker, he pairs well with the Lapras I am going to use to team up with Vaporeon during most occasions. Because I will run Water Absorb on both pokemon I will spam Surf every turn by either Vap or Lap. Shadow Ball and Ice Beam is for coverage. I am unaware on what item to give and what the 4th slot should be, but I am considering Hidden Power. Replaced with Jellicent. Removed because Jellicent does a much better job than Vaporeon in terms of coverage.

That is my team, so what do you think, it took me a while to come up with it, it is probably the best team I have ever come up with so far. NOTE: This team will need the PokeBank+PokeTransfer to be complete so I am open for suggestions until it comes out!

Credit to Super__Sonic for suggesting, removing Vaporeon, adding Kingdra, Politoed's moveset+item and Blastoise's moveset.Super_Sonic's Profile Page

I can see where your going. However the only Pokemon here I do not like is Lapras and Vaporeon. Having run a Rain team myself last gen, I can give some advice here.

In place of Vaporeon, I would highly suggest this as a speedy attacker

Kingra @ Life Orb

Ability: Swift Swim.

Timid / Modest Nature (whether you want to be faster or hit harder)

252 SpAtk / 252 Speed / 4 HP

Dragon Dance
Dragon Pulse
Surf / Hydro Pump (same reason as the nature, Surf also covers spread damage)
Flash Cannon (for pesky Fairies).

The reason I suggest this is for a lead attacker. Swift Swim is great and if you can steal a turn with DDance, you can out speed most of the speed tier. Since the genies wont be returning anytime soon, and I gather this is for VGC, You have no real need with all your Rain Dance setters of loosing Rain anytime soon.

In place of Lapras, I suggest this:

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy

Ability: Stance Change

Nature: Adamant

252 Atk / 128 Def / 128 SpDef

Swords Dance
Shadow Sneak
Sacred Sword
Kings Shield

Aegislash is a great Pokemon. Not to mention a Hitter AND Defender both. This set can work in OU and VGC, what ever you choose to set this up for. The spread is for a little bulk and a massive offensive Force if played correctly. Predict when they will attack, and Swords Dance in Shield Form, then proceed to Shadow Sneak or Sacred Sword for days. You may also be able to steal another Swords Dance making you unstoppable for a WHILE.

Above all else, you need more type coverage, Water types can only cover so much, and your team consists of 5. You cannot build a Rain team with pure Water types as anyone with Type coverage will sweep.

I do like your choice in Ludicolo. With Ludicolo, use Swift Swim for doubles. You have Rain Support in the means of Politoed and now Ludicolo. However rather than that Goodra there, I suggest the Kingdra.

As for your Blastoise. I do not know an effective EV spread just yet. But I can suggest this for a moveset

Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Dark Pulse
Aura Sphere

Last but not least, Politoed

Politoed @ Waccan Berry

Ability: Drizzle

Calm Nature

252 HP / 180 Def / 76 SpDef / 4 Speed

Scald
Ice Beam / Icy Wind
Focus Blast / Helping Hand / Perish Song
Protect / Surf

As for the moveset.

If playing OU, use Ice Beam, Focus Blast , Surf. If VGC, use Icy Wind, Helping Hand / Perish Song and Protect.

This Politoed is built upon bulky support for your team, and will assist you a ton. In doubles, you need a way to tank a few hits, while dealing some back out. This will assist you in that regard.

In summary. These are mere suggestions and constructive criticism. Also from someone who used at least one team of each kind of weather last gen.

Could you please add EVs and Natures? It would help a lot for us to better understand what each Pokemon aims to do.

Super__Sonic said:
I can see where your going. However the only Pokemon here I do not like is Lapras and Vaporeon. Having run a Rain team myself last gen, I can give some advice here.

In place of Vaporeon, I would highly suggest this as a speedy attacker

Kingra @ Life Orb

Ability: Swift Swim.

Timid / Modest Nature (whether you want to be faster or hit harder)

252 SpAtk / 252 Speed / 4 HP

Dragon Dance
Dragon Pulse
Surf / Hydro Pump (same reason as the nature, Surf also covers spread damage)
Flash Cannon (for pesky Fairies).

The reason I suggest this is for a lead attacker. Swift Swim is great and if you can steal a turn with DDance, you can out speed most of the speed tier. Since the genies wont be returning anytime soon, and I gather this is for VGC, You have no real need with all your Rain Dance setters of loosing Rain anytime soon.

In place of Lapras, I suggest this:

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy

Ability: Stance Change

Nature: Adamant

252 Atk / 128 Def / 128 SpDef

Swords Dance
Shadow Sneak
Sacred Sword
Kings Shield

Aegislash is a great Pokemon. Not to mention a Hitter AND Defender both. This set can work in OU and VGC, what ever you choose to set this up for. The spread is for a little bulk and a massive offensive Force if played correctly. Predict when they will attack, and Swords Dance in Shield Form, then proceed to Shadow Sneak or Sacred Sword for days. You may also be able to steal another Swords Dance making you unstoppable for a WHILE.

Above all else, you need more type coverage, Water types can only cover so much, and your team consists of 5. You cannot build a Rain team with pure Water types as anyone with Type coverage will sweep.

I do like your choice in Ludicolo. With Ludicolo, use Swift Swim for doubles. You have Rain Support in the means of Politoed and now Ludicolo. However rather than that Goodra there, I suggest the Kingdra.

As for your Blastoise. I do not know an effective EV spread just yet. But I can suggest this for a moveset

Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Dark Pulse
Aura Sphere

Last but not least, Politoed

Politoed @ Waccan Berry

Ability: Drizzle

Calm Nature

252 HP / 180 Def / 76 SpDef / 4 Speed

Scald
Ice Beam / Icy Wind
Focus Blast / Helping Hand / Perish Song
Protect / Surf

As for the moveset.

If playing OU, use Ice Beam, Focus Blast , Surf. If VGC, use Icy Wind, Helping Hand / Perish Song and Protect.

This Politoed is built upon bulky support for your team, and will assist you a ton. In doubles, you need a way to tank a few hits, while dealing some back out. This will assist you in that regard.

In summary. These are mere suggestions and constructive criticism. Also from someone who used at least one team of each kind of weather last gen.

Ok, thanks for the suggestions, I am going to remove Vaporeon, but I want another Water Absorber in his place so I can heal up my Lapras. I am thinking of Jellicent

Jellicent @ Leftovers/Scope Lens
Modest
Water Absorb
-Shadow Ball
-Surf
-Physic
-Toxic/Will-O-Wisp/Energy Ball

Does the same job as Vaporeon but has much more coverage by typing and moves, as well as STAB on Shadow Ball and Surf. Physic is for any poison or fighting types that come in my way and also for coverage. Will-O-Wisp or Toxic is a hard choice, either slow and weaken, or kill in a short period of time. But Energy Ball is also a good idea for coverage against Water, Rock and Ground types that get in my way.

I really like the idea of having a Kingdra with Life Orb though! But here's what I'm thinking

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Modest
Swift Swim
-Agility
-Dragon Pulse
-Hydro Pump
-Flash Cannon

Same thing, I prefer Modest over Timid on Kingdra since Swift Swim is already boosting its speed, but just in case I need the extra boost I will have Agility, which I prefer over Dragon Dance on Kingdra since he doesn't need a boost in Attack and his Speed get's boosted by 2 stages instead of one, so Agility+SwiftSwim allows Kingdra to outspeed almost anything!

I don't think Aegislash will go well with the team as Jellicent and Kingdra take care of having Ghost and Steel type moves, as good as he is I just don't think he will Synchronize with anyone in the team too well since the rain or any of his moves will aid him or my other pokemon.

I like the sets for Blastoise and Politoed and the Wacan Berry as the item for Politoed, I never would have thought of that tbh! Calm will help a lot with Electric types and Grass types since quite a lot of attacks are Special. This is what I am thinking of using for his set

Politoed @ Wacan Berry
Calm
Drizzle
-Hydro Pump
-Icy Wind
-Helping Hand
-Hyper Voice

With this set Politoed gives a good coverage and does great in 2 ways for the team, Drizzle and Helping Hand! Hydro Pump will be powered by the rain and also because of STAB, Icy Wind is weaker than Ice Beam but it will lower the speed of both of the opponents pokemon and also deals with Grass types, and with Calm and Wacan berry, Electric types aren't much of a problem either!

I will be using what you suggested for my Blastoise since I forgot that Aura moves are strengthened by Mega Launcher as well! I will update my team ASAP.
Chaos Jackal said:
Could you please add EVs and Natures? It would help a lot for us to better understand what each Pokemon aims to do.

I added the Natures as I found a Nature chart and did a bit of proper research, but not EV's as I don't understand the mechanics

Back