Ruling Double Knockout to Finish Match

Dave Sontag

Aspiring Trainer
Minior's (GRI) attack Cosmicplosion does 190 but "This Pokemon is Knocked Out". You and your opponent both have 1 prize card each. You have a Pokemon on your bench, but your opponent does not. If you used this attack to knock out your opponents last active Pokemon what is the result.

I think it will be a tie, given the fact that you both take the last prize card.

Your benched Pokemon doesn't matter, I guess.

You will win, the player that has no benched pokemon will loose.

Removing all of an opponents pokemon from the field is one of the win conditions

I don't have time to look it up, but I believe if you fulfill 2 win conditions (taking the last prize plus removing all opponents pokemon from field) and your opponent has only done 1, you will win.

Arutz is completely correct here. If you both take your last prize on the same turn, then it comes down to who fulfills a second win condition (in this case you fulfill the condition of him not having benched Pokemon).

If both of you (or neither of you) have benched Pokémon, then the game goes to sudden death, where you setup completely but you each only have one prize card. Whoever takes that prize card first gets the win.

Not sure what happens if you simultaneously KO during sudden death. There would drop be the same secondary win condition possibility, but past that, my guess would be that you play more sudden death rounds until someone wins, but I have no idea if that's accurate.

Arutz is completely correct here. If you both take your last prize on the same turn, then it comes down to who fulfills a second win condition (in this case you fulfill the condition of him not having benched Pokemon).

If both of you (or neither of you) have benched Pokémon, then the game goes to sudden death, where you setup completely but you each only have one prize card. Whoever takes that prize card first gets the win.

Not sure what happens if you simultaneously KO during sudden death. There would drop be the same secondary win condition possibility, but past that, my guess would be that you play more sudden death rounds until someone wins, but I have no idea if that's accurate.

Shouldn't there be an order regarding how prize cards are taken? I know with VGC, when it comes to double KOes, finishing with Explosion or Perish Song gives the opponent the win while finishing with moves like Flare Blitz or abilities like Iron Barbs results in your win, but why doesn't the TCG have such a thing (as far as I know, anyway)?

Back