• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Donchamp w/Landorus

Brendan

Hi there
Pokemon – 16

3 Phanpy HS/CL 66
3 Donphan Prime HS
3 Machop TM 67
1 Machoke TM 40
3 Machamp Prime TM 95
3 Landorus NV

Trainers – 22

4 Pokémon Collector
3 Pokémon Communication
3 Rare Candy
2 Oaks
2 Juniper
2 Sage's
2 PlusPower
2 Catcher
2 Junk Arm

Energy – 12

9 Fighting Energy
3 Double Colorless Energy

Free Space:10

Basic Donchamp strategy but with Landorus for obvious reasons. Ideal start is with Landorus, Phanpy(s) and Machop(s) on the bench to be set up. Early game should be mostly Landorus/Donphan while energy is setup and evolving/rare candying to Machamp Prime.

Since I have 10 free spaces I've been considering a few things:

Zoroak - could be nice to counter with Foul Play although I don't know how the matchups are or if this is even necessary as a tech.

Dragons - would also be nice, mainly Reshiram/Zekrom because I'm not expecting much of anything weak to water besides maybe mirrors.

Junk Arm - considering bumping this up to 3 or 4 would be nice so I can get energy to the discard for Landorus and could still use cards such as PlusPower, Rare Candy, Communication, and Catcher.

Heavy Ball - really leaning towards running 3 of these for obvious purposes such as pulling Machamp/Donphan if/when needed.

Regigigas EX - would be a cool tech that fits with the whole self damage spreading theme. Would be nice for heavy hits when needed and I wouldn't have to change the energy lines I'm running at all except maybe adding a 4th DCE depending.

Max Potion - just thought about this and it makes a ton of sense to run since energy is being moved around and cards won't have energy at times so why not heal.

Shaymin - also thought about this but I'd have to run at least 1-2 seeker to make it worth while. Although I think seeker would be dead draw otherwise and it doesn't bring that much to the table besides moving energy if I'm stuck.

I really need some input here. I'm really not sure what to do with my draw power so I've decided to run 2/2/2 Oak/Juniper/Sages. I think my Pokemon lines are pretty straight forward and explanatory so I shouldn't have to change those. My energy line should also be fine, granted I could run a 10th Fighting/4th DCE but I don't think they are needed.

I think that regigigas EX and dragons would help. I'd do about 1 regigigas EX, and maybe 1 kyurem or 1 reshiram. I'd run a switch in case they catcher up a pokemon, and I think that max potion could help a lot in case a machamp has a lot of damage on it.

Ah, switch is definitely something I was definitely something I thought I had in there but apparently not so I will probably put +2 in there. Why do you rank the dragons as you did, Kyurem then Reshiram and finally Zekrom?

+2 Switch
+2 Max Potion
+1 Regigigas EX
+1/2 Dragons

Total:6

That leaves room for 4 more cards depending on what I do decide to do.

I think that kyurem could be good against reshiram/reshiram EX decks, Reshiram is good against metal decks like CaKE, though Zekrom is not as good because there are not really any good decks that play cards that are weak to electric. Reshiram is also good against viridian in Six Corners and Shaymin EX. I'd include 1 reshiram and 1 kyurem if it were me.

Yeah I guess you are right but I'm not entirely sold on needing Kyurem especially at it's current value I think I can afford to pass it up. Reshiram definitely seems to make the cut though. Still on the fence about Regigigas, while it has synergy (Runs DCE/powers up off self spread damage/basic) I'm just not sure I need it match up wise. While yes it has a huge damage output my Machamp can definitely compete with that type of damage more consistently though. Finally when EXs get knocked out your opponent can take two prizes which doesn't seem worth it to me.

I suggest you use one of your spaces to max out Landorus. It is clearly your best starter. I would also suggest maxing out sage's and PONT. These cards always give you a super quick set up.

4 Junk Arm all the way. You will want to be able to reuse your trainers like Catcher, Switch etc.
You also need more draw-card power, around 10 supporters minimum.
I'd up the Oaks to 4
As above, use 4 Landorus instead of 3.
Your deck with over 9000 retreat cost is also screaming for Switch, so put 2 in.
Last 3 spots, go with 3 Heavy Ball since you have over 9000 retreat cost.

^I Agree. Heavy Ball would help a ton in this deck. You could cut all the communications for Heavy Balls. This will really speed up your deck and will get you out tons of heavy hitters. You also might need Mewtwo EX in this deck because Mewtwo EX can take out your deck pretty easily.

I don't think all the communication should be cut. Communication works for all pokemon so it can get the pokemon that you most need at the moment. Communication is still good in any deck that has a Stage 2 in my opinion.

Jirachi said:
I don't think all the communication should be cut. Communication works for all pokemon so it can get the pokemon that you most need at the moment. Communication is still good in any deck that has a Stage 2 in my opinion.

But, all the cards that are currently in the deck(that are highest stage) have 3 or more retreat. Communication can get anything, but you can just get the rest of the stuff with collector. I might change my view on this if things like Zoroark are added though.

iisnumber12 said:
But, all the cards that are currently in the deck(that are highest stage) have 3 or more retreat. Communication can get anything, but you can just get the rest of the stuff with collector. I might change my view on this if things like Zoroark are added though.

What about Machokes? How are you going to find them?

petertclo said:
What about Machokes? How are you going to find them?

When do you need to search out Machoke? If your under trainer lock (which is mainly what Machoke's for) you can't search it and if you just want to evolve a Machop it will be catcher killed. Machoke is rarely used, but it's just back up.

I definitely agree with dropping Communication for Heavy Ball, there is no situation where Communication would benefit me more than Heavy Ball in this deck as it's either a basic I'm searching for with collector or Donphan/Machamp. Heavy Ball also allows me to not have any Pokemon in my hand but still be able to search. I can definitely max out PONT/Sages I just wasn't really sure what draw power line I should be running so I left it at 2/2/2 but that sounds good to me. Also, while I still have been back and forth with Zoroark I'm leaving him out for now. If I do decide to put him in I will change my search engine for obvious reasons. A fourth Landorus to me really doesn't seem necessary, 3 seems like more than enough to pull as my starter and I don't think 4 will increase my odds that much. Also, there are going to be times when he's not my starter anyway I feel like and I have switch/retreat for that reason. I'm trying to really maximize my space here and that just doesn't seem like the card I need unless I had extra space for it. Finally, Mewtwo EX will not be put in this deck, I don't want to have to go through the trouble to get a single copy of a card that is only teched in for one match up and I honestly don't feel like the match up is that bad. While yes it will probably tear through Machamp pretty easily I also have Donphan that doesn't have weakness. I honestly think Mewtwo is a great card but is being way over hyped. If we are playing the prize game where he knocks out a Machamp for 1 prize I can knock his Mewtwo for 2 assuming I put some damage down with Machamp.

Add:
+3 Heavy Ball
+2 PONT
+2 Junk Arm
+2 Sages
+2 Switch
+2 Max Potion
+1 Reshiram
Total:14

Remove:
-3 Communication
-1 Juniper? I would be needing one more space and this seems like the draw power people weren't suggesting so let's take that out.

Those are my changes, any more suggestions?

Oh. I just looked at the Donphan scan and saw that it was four retreat cost. I used to think it was two for some reason. :p Yes. I now definitely agree with heavy ball. I don't think 2 plus power is really needed. I'd remove about 1.

With some testing today against a Zeeltik w/Raichu Prime I struggled using Landorus it seemed like dead draw and I couldn't get energy on it fast enough to be come useful. Harvesting was redundant because I'd typically be KO'd after getting a 2nd/3rd energy on it. Tornadus just ripped me apart to be honest. I didn't have Heavy Ball and other parts of my TSS hadn't been changed yet but I was running 1 Zekrom/1-1 Zoroark and both came in handy. I only used each once but both help take 2 prizes each. I am definitely keeping Zekrom because of its counter to Tornadus and if Tornadus is one of the only threats to Donphan it's essential to keep.

Back