Doing Badly on Tests

My teacher put me and a few others in "enrichment", where we have to do 9th grade algebra. And none of us have any clue what to do! So right now that is the only thing I'm getting low grades for.

Why not just put in some time to study?? Do you guys not have enough time or something? If so, you need to repriotitize yourself because, your education is your future. Why not study when your teacher has not assigned homework so you can get ahead? Why fool around in class when you could be doing something productive?

I have 8 classes right now, 6 in school and 2 online. I am a sophomore in a class filled with seniors and juniors, AP calc AB and AP art history which are, arguably, in the top 5 hardest AP classes. If you don't have enough time for schoolwork now, you will have MUCH trouble in the future.

I used to get bad grades, like C's and stuff. Though, later I realized that grades matter to being successful in the future. So I study and focus now and now I'm going straight A's on everything. If I do bad on a test, I would ask the teacher for a retake or making it up.

#1weavile said:
Why not just put in some time to study?? Do you guys not have enough time or something? If so, you need to repriotitize yourself because, your education is your future. Why not study when your teacher has not assigned homework so you can get ahead? Why fool around in class when you could be doing something productive?

I have 8 classes right now, 6 in school and 2 online. I am a sophomore in a class filled with seniors and juniors, AP calc AB and AP art history which are, arguably, in the top 5 hardest AP classes. If you don't have enough time for schoolwork now, you will have MUCH trouble in the future.

Well, did I ever say I didn't study? No. Actually, I did study, I just did badly in the end.

If you didn't get to study, lets say you were busy with other stuff that day. I would recommend you study in school, whenever you have free time there before school. You can study before you go to school. At least you will know somethings, and do better than bad.

C may be average, but it won't get you into college.

It's getting to the point where not even Bs will get you into college these days. It's pretty scary; I'm grateful that I've always been a sort of perfectionist. Even in college, I don't get lower than a B on anything, really.

Look, it's 1 subject, and a relatively worthless one at that. Don't let it bother you. BTW, you parents are being very racist expecting you to be smarter than everyone else because you're Asian. That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. Everyone has good areas and bad areas. Obviously, vocab isn't a strong point for you. Seriously, who the heck cares if you get a C on a vocab test? In the real world, NO ONE cares about that. I'm a straight A student for the most part. I got a few C's in math classes, but I didn't let it bother me, because I know as a fact that math is not a strong point for me. I just made sure to to my best in the class, and just accept that I wouldn't get an A for THAT class. Now that I've taken all the required math classes for my major, I'm back to being a straight A student, with a near flawless record in my music classes. (I'm a music composition major)

The point is, unless you plan on majoring in an area where vocab is important, no one cares. Just make sure to do well in the areas that you DO care about, and everything will be fine.

^I agree 100% with the aboce post.

I had a Latin test today and I remeberd some of the noun endings in the 1st declension by noticing that it was as-ae-is. That sounded to me like Arceus so that helped. Not everybody is good at everything.

Nobody is perfect.

Don't be a nobody.

Well, I don't do homework unless its a project or something huge. I still have like 4 A's, 1 B and a C. But just recently I got a 36% on my math test so like, now i have 3 A's 2 B's and a C but its still not that bad..

I'm an A student, normally due to the nagging of my parents.

(Also, I'm Asian as well, so I know exactly how you feel.)

But if I ever do bad, I normally try to figure out where I went wrong; if it's a lack of studying, then I allot more time to it and perhaps might change my studying habits to fit the test. If it's just an error in computation on a math test, then I just keep the type of error in mind and move on.

Whole point is: don't dwell on it, but try to improve from the experience.

I did poorly mainly when I didn't pay attention at all, or something was explained really poorly. Most of the time, studying would serve no purpose to me because I have a semi-photographic memory (being an artist really helps, trust me.), so the information would typically be stored away when I needed it.

Most of the time, bigger projects were what brought me down, just because I'm a super procrastinator. :p I'd score average/below average/above average on projects, below average especially if I didn't see the point. A great example was a Trigonometry ESSAY I had to write about how knowing different equations and the like from Trigonometry was important and useful in reality. Too bad we have calculators in today's modern age that automatically calculate these things, and that I had poor teachers for both Geometry and Trig. D:

Oh, and homework was the bane of my existance. That always hurt my grades if I didn't get it done in school. ;D How ironic.

For dealing with bad test scores, it really does depend on the class. For me, my problems are in two classes: World Geography and Geometry (I'm in all 4 core Pre-AP classes, as I am only a fishie in high school).

Our Pre-AP World Geography teacher is notorious for giving out absurd amounts of work. The work wouldn't be so bad if she didn't grade to the point where no one could make an A on the assignment. So her tests usually don't kill me, her normal work (questions on info from the textbook, computer junk, map quizzes, etc.) is what drives my grade down. There was even one assignment where like 10 out of 160 people passed it, with some who actually completed but still got everything wrong (with seemingly reasonable answers, at least to our minds).

But for her tests, my lowest was an 86, which is low for me, as it dropped my average to a high B. Usually, I score low A's, but that class is the only one where I have to work "harder" in, to know the material better. When I get my tests back, I look at the questions I missed, and look for a common trait among them (what section in the book they were in). The questions I miss are usually the ones that I miss on the quizzes, so I guess that meant that I didn't look at that section deeply enough. This just is a reminder for me to actually read the textbook before the test (which is basically the only way to do good on her tests for those without perfect photographic memory) For the record, I'm white, but unlike others my parents only care if any of my grades are below 85, so I guess you could call them Asian, as they know I make straight A's when I put some effort into the work. World Geography is the only borderline A, right at a 90, for me, and for this particular teacher, an 87 or higher is amazing.

In Geometry, my average is like a 94 or 95, only because I make small mistakes in calculations on tests. Otherwise I make low test scores in that class because I forget to check my work. My lowest test grade was an 89, and that's if I REALLY screwed up awfully. Everytime I get my test back, it usually isn't a 100, but I can immediately go back and fix all the mistakes I made, in a couple of minutes, thinking "Why did I make this stupid (for me) of mistake?". And in my Pre-AP Geometry class, I have the only A average, and whenever others get A averages, mine still stands out above the rest of the class, unfortunately (a lot of C and D averages, with few B's). This may come across as boasting, but this is really how big of a gap there is in that class (and the other A averages only get to a 90 or 91).

So yes, my test scores are usually high, but that also means that people look to me for questions and such when the teacher isn't available. I guess my "bad" test scores give me a chance to give others the knowledge to better on stuff that I myself missed, like ways to remember facts easily or to put things in big chunks of memory. For me, it is more of a learning and teaching experience, and less of a depressing one.

Crystal Hikara said:
I did poorly mainly when I didn't pay attention at all, or something was explained really poorly. Most of the time, studying would serve no purpose to me because I have a semi-photographic memory (being an artist really helps, trust me.), so the information would typically be stored away when I needed it.

Most of the time, bigger projects were what brought me down, just because I'm a super procrastinator. :p I'd score average/below average/above average on projects, below average especially if I didn't see the point. A great example was a Trigonometry ESSAY I had to write about how knowing different equations and the like from Trigonometry was important and useful in reality. Too bad we have calculators in today's modern age that automatically calculate these things, and that I had poor teachers for both Geometry and Trig. D:

Oh, and homework was the bane of my existance. That always hurt my grades if I didn't get it done in school. ;D How ironic.

Heh, you sound almost exactly like me in regard to how I learn and handle my schoolwork. For example, in Chemistry, I only really have trouble when I'm not paying attention (and you have to pay attention in that class at all times; most of the time, the only reason I'm not paying attention is because I'm being distracted by girls I'm sitting next to :S), and, of course, if something is explained to me poorly, or I understand it incorrectly, it just throws me off entirely. I do have a pretty good memory as well, not having to study as much as my classmates most of the time.

The projects, though... Oh yeah. Those would bring my grade down drastically. I either put little effort into it, or just don't do it at all. The latter is especially the case if I don't see the point in doing it, or if I just think the project's given just for the sake of work.

To answer the topic at hand, though, the key to doing well is paying attention - especially to minor details that might not seem important at the time, but come back into play later. If you find you're not doing so well on a test, and the problem is lack of knowledge over the material, the obvious thing to do is to just study longer and harder. Eliminate distractions that might hinder the effectiveness of your studying. It's better to get into the habit of studying well now, because college requires total dedication to studying.

I averaged D-C's all through out high school. And it wasn't because I was stupid, it was because I never did homework, but I was still acing the tests. Hell, my freshman year of high school, I believe I only passed 2 classes all year. I ended up only getting 1 1/2 credits that entire year.

Same thing here, im a A and B student and this year my test grades have been like C`s And D`s and my parent DO NOT LIKE THAT

Since im wanting to be a Technical Doctor i should have really high grades(Right?) But this years been a total dissapointment to me.

EDIT: Im asian too :> and my parents start "Whining" about my tests :<<<<<<<<

Back