Discussion Do you think Lapras-GX can make a return this format?

henryhoover

Aspiring Trainer
Hi All,
After watching somebody online play a Palkia-GX deck with some success, I wanted to get your feedback if Lapras-GX is viable again.

Reasons why i think it has become viable again are:
Abomasnow Energy Recovery
Aqua Patch - Energy Recovery/Speed up energy attachment
Max Elixir - Speed Energy Attachment
Manaphy-EX - Free Retreat
Dawn Wings Necrozma - Gets rid of attack effect and free retreat with water energy/float stone.
Acerola/max potion - energy is easily recoverable so it can work.
Kukui/Choice Band - makes the atk 210 (ohko current meta things) or 190 without kukui (ohko basic GXs such as dusk mane and Ho oh)
Pal Pad - for the Kukui

The weaknesses of the deck are the grass weakness, but i don't know if grass is still going to be affluent in this meta.
it can requires a bit of setup but I think it wont be too bad

What do you guys think?

I think consistency will be a problem late game if you are needing to Kukui every turn to hit the required numbers and also needing to Acerola and Aqua patch/Max elixir to replace and to recharge your attacker,

It's a good idea in theory but I'm not sure how effective it will be in practice. That's just my opinion though.

late game is an issue. what do you think can help make sure late game is not an issue? is there an low energy atkers that i could use in the deck?

I don’t think so unfortunately. Lapras relied on its GX attack to lock opponents out for a turn. Guzma makes it a lot easier to get out of that.

Lapras stopped being good the moment that most decks had more than 190 hp and the fact that golisopod comes in and wrecks it's face doesn't help either

As long as Golisopod-GX is relevant in this format, Lapras-GX will not be a great option. I love Lapras and you'll get some wins, but I don't think it'll top any events anytime soon.

I haven't seen enough success with Lapras to recommend it, but my testing partner adores the deck to the point of writing several articles about it and piloting versions of it in almost every format we've had. To his credit, he had generally made it work.

The build he's been testing managed to go toe to toe with me piloting several versions of Bulu (which never used to happen), as well as several other decks we tried. The only matchups he had problems with are Golisopod and Garde, and he says that the wins he gets off of Buzzwole, Dusk Mane, Volc, and Zoroark builds are worth having a tough time in those two matches.

No, with Leafeon-GX becoming bigger, and it's damage becoming less and less against the current format, I believe it isn't good for this current format. Could be fun for League Challenge and Leagues, but not for bigger events. Good luck building your deck though.

Back