Playthrough DNA's Choose-My-Team Run-Through of Pokémon Pearl! Finished!

DNA

Goodbye, everyone. I'll miss you all.
Advanced Member
So I'm in a bit of a nostalgic mood and feel like replaying some of my older Pokémon games. The only main-series game I feel like restarting is Pearl, so that's what I'll be playing.

~ You can suggest any number of 'mons, but don't overdo it. No more than 3 per person, to be interesting.
~ Most anything is permissible. Legends are discouraged, but low-level legends may be okay. I'd rather not, though.
~ Regigigas is off-limits. I already solo'd Pearl with it. Speaking of which, solo runs are also a no.
~ Suggest whether or not to use a starter from Rowan, and if so, then which one.
~ I can catch things in-game or trade them over. Obviously, if you want me catching in-game, make real suggestions.
~ Nicknames are fun. Put nicknames with your suggestions.
~ I will reject any idea I find boring, stupid, or whatever. Basically, I have final say on my team.

Okay guys, make my Pearl fun (for once)!

Suggestions I'm taking for sure:
  • Turtwig as a starter, named TorTERROR
  • East Sea Gastrodon named Barbados (male) or Aphrodite (female)
  • Gengar named Geist
  • Crobat named Crumpets
  • Heracross named Thorne
  • Weavile named Carlos (male) or Carmen (female)

Suggestions that didn't make the cut:
  • Staraptor named Commando
  • Spoink/Grumpig named omg Pearl (if trade-overs are permissible)
  • Golem named The Rock
  • Mismagius named either Phantom or Siren
  • Togekiss named Dont Blink (if trade-overs are permissible)
  • Wormadam Trash Cloak (no nick suggested)
  • Honchkrow named Big Boss (if trade-overs are permissible)
  • Gyarados named Censored
  • Bronzong named Mugen-kane
  • Hippowdon named Pangaea
  • Lucario named Luke (pending nickname)
  • Raichu named Shocker (pending nickname)

This probably means no trading anything over...which will help, somewhat.

Posted Chapters:
Prologue - Welcome to the World of Dolo!
Chapter 1 - Class, Crumpets, and Attempted Suicide
Chapter 2 - The Recurring Stooges
Chapter 3 - They Sure Are Persistent, Aren't They?
Chapter 4 - This is Hopefully Not a Setup, Part 1
Chapter 5 - This is Hopefully Not a Setup, Part 2
Chapter 6 - In Which Splinters and Violence Abound
Chapter 7 - This Game Is Too Confusing And Backwards
Chapter 8 - Manly and Manlier: When DNA Met James
Chapter 9 - In Which DNA is Racist
Chapter 10 - A Very Long and Protracted Plot Point, Part 1
Chapter 11 - A Very Long and Protracted Plot Point, Part 2
Chapter 12 - Death to Anything With Smiley Faces
Chapter 13 - I'm Almost There, I Promise
Chapter 14 - The Indigo Doleau, Except It's in Sinnoh

Extra Chapter 1 - Wait, You Mean There's MORE!?
Extra Chapter 2 - Contains Great Amounts of Sexiness
Extra Chapter 3 - In Which I Mock Everything

RE: DNA's Choose-My-Team Run-Through of Pokémon Pearl!

~ You can suggest any number of 'mons, but don't overdo it. No more than 3 per person, to be interesting.

>Any Number
>Only Three
K

I say go ahead and use the Rowan starter. Turtwig or Piplup though, Chimchar is way too easy.
For the sake of the rest of my list, I'm going to suggest Piplup. Am I supposed to suggest a nickname for this too? How about Neptune?

You said suggest whether to use the starter or not, so I still have my three suggestions.

Dustox/Beautifly nickname: Mothula
You get what I mean. Just catch a Wurmple. Bugs always make teams more interesting. Kricketot only has one stage, and its not dual type anyway.
Dual types are fun, lets use more of them. :)

Staraptor nickname: Commando
Lets face it. You will eventually need to Fly. Plus, this guy learns Close Combat. So he turns into a real power house later on in the game.

Golem nickname: The Rock
Hey, if you are able to trade over pokes, then it shouldn't be any problem for you to evolve this guy. Catchable early on too.

Whatever you decide, have fun! :D

Use a Spoink and name it omg Pearl.

I say go ahead and use the Rowan starter. Turtwig or Piplup though, Chimchar is way too easy.
For the sake of the rest of my list, I'm going to suggest Piplup. Am I supposed to suggest a nickname for this too? How about Neptune?
Possible.

Rejected on the notion that I used that in RSE and it was horrible.

Possible. But I always use a Staraptor, so...

Why Golem when Rhyperior exists? I'd like to see your rationale.

Use a Spoink and name it omg Pearl.
Possible.

Gastrodon! :D It's cute and not bad for an in-game team (and also happens to me my favourite 4th gen line <3). If you catch one and its a male, call it Barbados; for a female, Aphrodite. As much as I prefer East Sea, it's probably better if you get an early game West Sea to train it more effectively.

I also vote yes for starter, but I'd pick Turtwig and call him Yggdrasil.

Artemis said:

That... thank you. It seemed like I was the only one who thought it's a good name for our good old Turtwig. Apparently not. Awesome. :3

I'd say go with:

Misdreavus - that one I never got because I played Diamond. Mismagius works really well for me. You could maybe name it Phantom. It sounds cool. :3

Shellos - preferably the east sea. It's much cooler. Neptune would be a great name.

Heracross - it's simply awesome. Getting one might be a pain in the butt though. How about Thorne as a name for it? I have at least one called Thorne.

I don't think you should go with a starter, though. It adds much more... "originality" to the team if it doesn't have a starter. But yeah, those are my suggestions. Tell me what you think :3

-----
Hahaha, just noticed that Neptune Piplup. xD

Pineapple X said:
Artemis said:

That... thank you. It seemed like I was the only one who thought it's a good name for our good old Turtwig. Apparently not. Awesome. :3

He has a giant tree going out of his back, so of course it's an awesome name! x3 But, of course, I'm rather partial to mythological names, in case no one's noticed... *cough*

Misdreavus/Mismagius nicknamed "Siren"

Also voting for Turtwig starter, but I'm gonna suggest Torterra be nicknamed either "torTERROR" or "Pride"

Togekiss nicknamed "Don't Blink" or if that doesn't fit, then just "Blink"

Artemis said:
Gastrodon! :D It's cute and not bad for an in-game team (and also happens to me my favourite 4th gen line <3). If you catch one and its a male, call it Barbados; for a female, Aphrodite. As much as I prefer East Sea, it's probably better if you get an early game West Sea to train it more effectively.

This is probably the best suggestion so far. And, as Teapot can tell you, I play VGC with an East Sea Gastrodon as one of the MVPs. So yeah, I freaking love the little guy.
Though if I'm not trading one over in the early game, I'll have to wait until Pastoria to get one...but the wait shall be worth it!

Yggdrasil Turtwig is also a good suggestion.

Pineapple X said:
I'd say go with:

Misdreavus - that one I never got because I played Diamond. Mismagius works really well for me. You could maybe name it Phantom. It sounds cool. :3

Shellos - preferably the east sea. It's much cooler. Neptune would be a great name.

Heracross - it's simply awesome. Getting one might be a pain in the butt though. How about Thorne as a name for it? I have at least one called Thorne.

I don't think you should go with a starter, though. It adds much more... "originality" to the team if it doesn't have a starter. But yeah, those are my suggestions. Tell me what you think :3
Oh right, Pearl. Murkrow's in Diamond.
Misdreavus is a possible, though Gengar is better than it in every conceivable way so... ...and I do think Gengar is before the post-game. Lost Tower or something.

Heracross is found in honey trees, if I recall. That is also a possible.

TPO3 said:
Misdreavus/Mismagius nicknamed "Siren"

Also voting for Turtwig starter, but I'm gonna suggest Torterra be nicknamed either "torTERROR" or "Pride"

Togekiss nicknamed "Don't Blink" or if that doesn't fit, then just "Blink"
Can you find Togepi in D/P before the post-game? I know in Platinum you get given one, but in D/P you need to find it in a Trophy Garden swarm, which I think is post-game. Not sure, though. But if Togepi does appear before that, it will be a possible.

also agh I'm torn between Yggdrassil and TorTERROR

Rejected on the notion that I used that in RSE and it was horrible.
Most Bugs are. Except for Butterfree. They always add a degree of challenge when using them. They make in-game teams interesting.

Possible. But I always use a Staraptor, so...
Everyone always using Staraptor. He's the only good bird in the game.
Dat Close Combat.

Why Golem when Rhyperior exists? I'd like to see your rationale.
Golem >>>> Rhyperior
design wise :p
If you're just using catchable pokemon, I think Rhydon (and Protector) aren't available until post-game, right? Because Rhyhorn is only obtainable via Egg? Or am I just confused?
Sure, you could just trade it over, but you can catch Geodude before the first gym.
So why send over a Rhyhorn when Geodude is catchable so early on?

Yes, if I were to just use mons caught in-game, then yes, I wouldn't use Rhydon, because it's in the post-game. But every time I put Golem and Rhydon side by side, it just reminds me of how awful Golem is.

Golem >>>> Rhyperior
design wise
I don't believe that in the slightest.

They're both weird. Golem looks like a lizard that got stuck in a giant meatball, and Rhyperior is so over-the-top looking he may as well be a Mega Evolution. >_>

As for Turtwig, you could always go for it's name being Twisted.

Artemis said:
They're both weird. Golem looks like a lizard that got stuck in a giant meatball, and Rhyperior is so over-the-top looking he may as well be a Mega Evolution. >_>
True, though I'll always prefer Rhyperior to Golem. I do have a soft spot for Rhydon, though.

Red Rain said:
As for Turtwig, you could always go for it's name being Twisted.
1zztcoj.gif

I approve of Twisted Turtwig! :-D Also Rhydon > Rhyperior! Rhydon is one of my faves, Rhyperior just dosn't really make justice to it!

You should use a Chatot cause you (used to) chat a lot and you can call it Hazama or another of your IRC nicks. :3

Yeah, Rhydon is definitely much cooler than Rhyperior. I guess probably not as good from a usefulness-in-game standpoint, though, just in coolness factor.

The order goes:
Magikarp > Rhydon > Golem >>>>>> Rhyperior

I like Teal's idea. Use Chatot. Though I would name it Chatterbox. :p

Teal said:
You should use a Chatot cause you (used to) chat a lot and you can call it Hazama or another of your IRC nicks. :3
There are 2 main problems with that:

1) I'm waiting to be let back into the main room - I never stopped chatting
2) Chatot is waaaaaaaaay in the late game (after Palkia, actually) to be of any use. Also it's crap.

Instead of Mismagius, I'm going to recommend you use Gengar named Cheshire, Geist, Nirvana, or something better someone else might be able to come up with. Now you can save your Dusk Stone for a Murkrow traded over named Big Boss.

>considering naming Torterra anything other than torTERROR

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e_dJHLsuPM[/video]

Back