Ruling Ditto + Snowpoint Temple

abaxter94

Peach is staring into your soul
Ditto LV.33 – Colorless – HP60
Basic Pokemon

Poke-Body: Metamorphosizing DNA
As long as this Pokemon is an Active Pokemon, its maximum HP is the same as the opponent's Active Pokemon's maximum HP, and it can use that Pokemon's attacks as its own (it must have the required Energy for the attack).

Weakness: Fighting (+20)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 1

Snowpoint Temple – Stadium

Each player's Unevolved Pokemon has its maximum HP increased by 20.

A Stadium can only be put into play next to your Active Pokemon once during your turn. If a Stadium with a different name is put into play, discard this card.

Using the text from these cards, please answer my question.
The game situation is this:
I have an active Ditto, the defending pokemon is a Piplup [DP]. Ditto copies Piplup's 60 HP. I play Snowpoint Temple. One of two things will happen:
A] Piplup's HP will be raised by 20 HP, giving it 80 HP. Ditto then copies the HP increase, and then has it's HP increased by 20. Piplup has 80 HP, ditto now has 100 HP.
B] Both pokemon will get there HP raised by 20. Both pokemon have 80 HP.

Which will happen? I assume that it is A, but I would like some clarificaiton, for test play purposes.

Just like in the thread asking about IFDS Charizard, there is no way to say for sure untill it actually comes out in English so we can get a ruling. We can only assume and hope for a certain ruling that we don't know will happen for sure.

My personal assumption is situation A, but again, it's an assumption. No way to be sure untill it gets released.

Please note that this is a guess. I doubt anyone but the Rules Team can answer this for sure -- there's a modifier precedence issue that has no prior precedent in the Compendium. You'll have to wait until August to ask them, since they don't answer questions on unreleased cards.

But I would say A is correct. The Poke-Body says "its maximum HP is the same as the opponent's Active Pokemon's maximum HP", which would take modifiers into account. So it would read Piplup's HP as 80. Then, since Ditto is an unevolved Pokemon, and has not had the Snowpoint Temple modifier applied to itself yet, it would gain another 20 HP on top of the 80 it copied, giving it 100 HP.

That's my take. It may end up being wrong, so you might not want to design a whole deck around it just yet.

I know that all of these answers are not final, because we don't have the exact text. I just need an answer so I can test play in the mean time.

Thanks for the answers.

Back