Disregard Playing, Acquire Victory Cups

Gale

Guess who's back (kinda)? Back again (kinda)
10497071.jpg

My God it's been years since I've done a report.

I'm not looking to make this a whole article or whatever, so don't expect it to be insanely in-depth and super long, and forgive me if I don't remember every match. It's been a long day. I haven't played Pokemon in over a year and a half and this is my second tournament ever in Masters, so there's that. Props to Stephen/Naki Feral and Zele for letting me borrow cards (also, Zele, Stephen has your Cherens and Cleffa and stuff).

Oh yeah, I'm playing Tyram. Tyram is cool.

Round 1: I don't remember your name with Tyranitar

I play a lot of Pokeparents for some reason. I get T2 or T3 two Typhlosions or something and Catcher a Pupitar early on. By the end of the game my bench is Ninetales and 4 Typhlosions, and whenever he brings something out it's dead instantly. There really isn't much to tell, sorry. The guy was really, really nice.

1/0

Round 2: Connor's friend with Crobat/Kingdra/Yanmega

She had probably the worst start ever in the entire world. I don't think I saw a supporter from her for four turns. I, one the other hand, was set up immediately with Ninetales and Typhlosions out all over the place. She eventually Judges my 20 card hand or something and gets some stuff set up but... yeah. I was up 5 prizes at that point.

2/0

Round 3: Tim or Tom I think your name was with Reuniclus/Vileplume/Mew

I didn't quite understand the point of this deck. It seemed really slow. He two Oddish at the start and I was a little nervous, but I focused on getting Ninetales out fast and got Typhlosion on T2. He blew through 4 Twins but couldn't get set up. I took six prizes to his zero. :x

3/0

Round 4: Connor with Blastoise/Floatzel

Connor is one of my best friends who I haven't seen in over a year and... he decides to play something just to counter me. I probably should have lost this game, but I pulled it out somehow. I get a less than optimal start but I Sages and realize I have T2 2 Typhlosions. So he gets Blastoise set up T2 but no Floatzel yet. I play down my Typhlosions and get a Ninetales and my God, the look on his face was priceless. Anywayyy, it got to the point where I just overwhelmed him with Typhlosions and there was little that could be done about it. He has no Blastoise left and I just go to town on everything he does have. (side note, probably the most annoying thing about the match was whenever he did Copycat, he would talk like the Count from Sesame Street and go ONE, AH AH AH, TWO, AH AH AH etc. He Copycat me when I had 9 cards in my hand >_>)

4/0

Round 5: Kim with YMCA

I'm 4-0, Kim's 4-0, I'm pretty sure that even if I lose I make top, but I'm still really nervous and misplay like a boss all game. I get an awful start, like legitimately awful, and she gets the T1 See Off for Zoroark, so that's always awesome. I get 2 Typhlosions out by T3 but she's so far ahead of me and so set up. I make a really stupid move and retreat my Cleffa to my Typhlosion when I only had 2 energy on it and 0 in my hand or discard pile without realizing there weren't any energy in my discard pile. So yeah, go me. I don't think it would have mattered, but still. That was pretty derp. I manage to take three prizes somehow but it really doesn't make a difference.

4/1

So I know you don't care what me and my friends did while waiting for top cut to be announced, so I'll skip that and tell you I ended up 3rd seed.

Top 4: Zoroark/Cinccino/Yanmega

Game one I get an really stupid hand with two Cyndaquil, Three Typhlosion, Vulpix, and a Fire. I topdeck Sages and get PONT and Candy, so that's nice. I pont and get Typhlosion and I Catcher up his Zorua early on to kill it. He only played 2-2 Zoroark so there was no problem with that. I think he took two prizes but I was never really in any danger.

Game Two was ridiculous. I get a God hand with the for sure T2 2 Typhlosions, but he Judges me. I eventually start getting set up but he always has the Pluspower when he needs it and always has the DCE when it needs it too. I'm not able to keep up. I take four prizes but he's too ahead of me.

Game Three was pretty even for a while. He killed my Typhlosions early on so I'm forced to deal with using just two the whole game, and I ended up sacrificing one of them. I'm able to outrage for a lot of my kills and use that one Typhlosion that I had left for some prizes. It really came down to if he was able to get that Tauros looking guy from gen 5 to revenge kill me. He did not. Just took it from there. Really good games though, I was nervous.

So I sit down to play my top 2 match against my best friend, Jacob, and we're told to start shuffling and whatnot. I know I'm not going to win against Jacob but all I wanted to do today was get top cut and I did that. He sits there and starts thinking that, for one, it's really getting late, for another, everyone, including the judges are tired, and three, he'd apparently rather I win instead of him. So he scoops to me before we even get set up. I tell him I really wanted to play the game out but he doesn't want to. I'm really grateful that he did this but I don't really feel like I won legitimately. Would I have won if he hadn't scooped? I doubt it. I've played Jacob a lot in top cut and most of the time I've lost. I feel bad but... there's not too much that can be done I guess.

ANYWAY, I won. Somehow. I don't feel like I deserved it but whatever. We'll see how the rest of the season goes.

Props:

Stephen for being the coolest guy around and letting me borrow stuff
Zele for being equally cool and letting me do the same
Jacob for being the other coolest guy around and scooping to me even though I really didn't want him to
Seeing everyone for the first time in a while
Seeing Connor for the first time in forever
Kim forgiving me for not throwing out that water bottle finally
John for hosting a great event as always
Heavy Rain antics with Connor
Dem Pokeballs
Winning, duh

Slops:

Jacob scooping to me even though I really didn't want him to lol
Stephen for going 3-2 with the deck I told him to play because I'm an idiot
Mishik for not coming
Peculiar elderly gentleman yelling at us to get off the street

Oh wait, you won by default? I DO have something to laugh at over the weekend!! Congratz though Gale.

Also, I thought you were 13 or something.. Why are you in MA? :eek:

That was the most awesome Top 2 match I have ever read about. So awesome, it's unreal.

My Battle Roads ended at 11pm but the Masters still played out their topcut. What makes you so special? >=O

Surprised to hear you're in Masters. I thought you were "like 13 or something" also, and I didn't know you were getting back into TCG again either. Tyram is one of those great decks with a great track record. I almost have all the pieces for it (need at least 1 Ninetales and I have 0 Typhs to my name), so maybe I'll play it one day.

I'm assuming YMCA is Yanmega(or something)/Mew/Cinccino/Ambipom.

I think that Mew thing you were fighting earlier was supposed to be Mewbox. I have seen a lot of Reuniclus and Vileplume in Mewbox builds (I saw a couple yesterday).

Overall...I'm definitely glad you won, but like you I have mixed feelings about the top-2 scoop.

Back