Discussion #2: How will you stop Steelix Prime?

How popular will Steelix Prime be?

• Total voters

Serperior

~
Advanced Member
Sorry, Azelf Master. You haven't followed up on the first discussion, so I'm starting a second.

Anyhow, the subject says what to discuss. Becoming more popular than it has ever been, and to tank through decks with the ability to bring DCE and Special Metal Energy from the Discard Pile, Steelix Prime will definitely see play in Battle Roads. Being a time to test new decks at a smaller tournament, how will you counter it? Please discuss what you plan to do if you find yourself up against this 140 HP beast.

Steelix Prime from HS-Unleashed.

Flareon RR can do some major damage against it. With belt it can OHKO, not counting special metal. Honestly I think the best contendors against Steelix are Drifblim UL and Tyranitar Prime. Take Away makes it just...go away for a while. Tyranitar's Power Claw also hits through all special metal energy and ruins its tankability.

Sorry, I couldn't think of anything. I also had homework. :( I'l do three in a week or two.

Anyways Steelix Prime seems very good in the MD-on format. I see Blaziken FB's use rising in an effort to stop steelix. Maybe more Charizard? I don't know. More Blaziken PL? Yes, there might be.

With its bad match up against anything the techs in Drifbilm UD, it can't tank as easily as before. Not to mention, Trainer Lock hurts Steelix by slowing it down more and shutting off its healing Trainers.

My luxchomp deck runs Drifblim UD... so goodbye mister tank have fun getting that other one out before I get 6 prizes.

P.S. it takes 2 turns to just outright kill Steelix Prime using the main attackers in Luxchomp (unless of course you heal it....). Also, Ambipom G can disrupt with the energy movement so that eventually your opponent will likely have no energy left to use on steelix for Gaia Crush.

Ambipom G doesn't help against a fully tanked Steelix though. Drifblim UD will be the play in SP decks. Charizard laughs in its face, Blaziken FB also destroys it. Sniping around it is also an option.

How will I deal with it?
Two words;

DONPHAN. PRIME.

Most of the healing cards used for it are flippy and therefore never completely reliable.
All it takes is two Heavy Impact attacks and steelix is down.

I'm playing Charizard so I don't think I'm going to have any trouble stoping Steelix Prime.:p As for other decks, I think the best techs against Steelix are Blaziken FB and Drifblim, but those are only really good techs in sp decks. does anybody know any good techs for Steelix in a non sp deck?

Drifblim UD, Blaziken FB X, Ho-Oh LEGEND, Shedinja SV. All good counters that are easy to fit in any deck.

I prefer shedinja personally (unless your playing eeveelutions, of course) because it doesnt have to target the big tank itself, it can just snipe around to get faster KO's. Also, if they play a shedinja/umbreon counter, it helps to snipe it before it becomes a problem. Plus, most people are anticipating Umbreon for whatever reason, not really sure.

What counters Steelix:

-Umbreon UD
-Shedinja
-Blaziken FB
-Charizard
-Drifblim
-Scizor

All of these are sure to be popular. Blaziken and Charizard both hit Steelix for weakness. Regardless of how good Steelix's tanking is, there is no way Steelix can keep up with 160 plus damage a turn, before counting Special Metals. Shedinja, Scizor, and Umbreon lock Steelix. The only way to play around them is really with Onix, which is easily KO'ed. Drifblim can just laugh at Steelix with Take Away. To be honest, Steelix is an extremely good deck, but is easily countered.

^Its as Gliscor said. Incredible tanking abilities are worthless if you cant survive the first attack. And a good fire pokemon such as Blaziken PL or Blaziken FB will hit it for more damage then it has HP.

Fire Spin: 100 damage x2 (weakness) = 200 damage.
200 - 40 (Special metal) = 160. Thats still enough to 1hko Steelix.

Right, anyone saying stuff like "Everything in Luxchomp 2-shots it" or "2 Heavy Impacts KO it" can now go back to the kiddy pool. Steelix does NOT get KO'd easily (SPECIAL METAL).
Now...most of the important techs have been named. Steelix CAN survive and deal with Blaziken FB, Infernape 4 however is a KO (Read the Steelix worlds report at the Gym for confirmation). Drifblim UD is a new enemy and a painful one at that, but that one doesn't hit the field easily in most decks its played in. Ambipom is a nuisance...for 1 energy, then he gets ripped a new one. Tyranitar doesn't clock in over 90 damage usually and WILL get 2-shotted. ERL USUALLY OHKO's, and at any rate leaves a bigger dent then Blaziken does AND can't be revenge KO'd easily.

When wanting to OHKO Steelix, keep in mind that if you didn't get your counter fast, you're facing a 160 HP titan with 3/4 special metals dealing 120 damage a turn. You need to OHKO that to stand a chance.

Trainer lock can slow its recovery. Granted, it might not be the best or most reliable way, but you can get a Vileplume before they get a Steelix with 4 Sp. Metals. Gliscor listed most of the really good counters.

@lucario_aura_wielder: A Steelix deck's main goal is to get 4 Special Metals and an expert belt onto Steelix and have loads of healing cards ready at hand.
ERL does:
90x2(weakness)=180
180-40(metals)=140

A belted Steelix will be able to survive the attack, and then will use healing cards to recover most of its HP.
The only way ERL can ohko Steelix is if you belt the ERL or drop a Crobat G + PokeTurn

Back