Diabetes and how to deal with it

Captain Pidgey

Just Brave Bird everything!!!
Hey, my mother was diagnosed with diabetes today, and I was kinda wondering who all has it, and what the main differences are between the two types, as I'm not quite sure.

So, could we discuss diabetes and the types of it, and how you can change your diet and lifestyle for it.

Thanks much!

Diabetes runs in my family pretty badly. My grandmother and grandfather on two different sides had it, two of my cousins had it, my father has it, and my brother has it.

The difference between type 1 and type 2 diabetes is mostly in diagnosis. type 1 is usually diagnosed in childhood, whereas type 2 is usually discovered in adulthood. type 1 diabetes can NOT be prevented, but type 2 can if I recall correctly. Both types increase the risk for heart attacks, strokes, or foot amputations. The most important difference is probably how in type 1 Diabetes, hypoglycemia is pretty common. In type 2 diabetes, you don't have any episodes of hypoglycemia. Type 2 diabetes is all around less mild than type 1, but it's still a serious condition.

The most important thing you can do when you have diabetes is make sure you know your limit, not just for eating but for exercising, sleep, any daily activities you do. Diabetes generally urges people to eat healthier, exercise more, and stick to a schedule of taking insulin or other diabetes-related medicine they might have to take. As far as diet change goes, you want to stay away from sweet things (unless, of course, your blood sugar gets low). Try to eat as healthy as possible if you don't already. Lifestyle changes are pretty dramatic. You have to always carry around your kit with you, make sure you stick to your schedule, and be sure to check your blood sugar regularly.

Sorry to hear your mom was diagnosed. Hopefully it isn't too bad. :(

Going with what Gale said

I know my Grandpa had this. Basically you have to keep track of the stuff that you take. You also have to watch what you eat. Make sure you check what levels you have your sugar at. Just stay on top of things and your fine. I know that for my Grandpa 100 to 120 was what his sugar should be at. So be orgainized and make sure you have good levels is what I say. Hope this helps

Ga that sucks

T

Im sorry that your mum got diabetes, hopefully its type 2.

Diabetes is hereditary in my family. All I know is that you have to make sure you take the correct dosage of insulin as too little and too much can cause severe problems.

You need to have some glucose tablets with you just incase as sometimes its possible for your body to have low blood sugars due to the insulin your taking and you need to increase them immediately.

Now these suggestions are nice and all however I would strongly advise you to consult a doctor about everything as yout asking teenagers on a pokemon forum.

Just make sure you stay with your mum every step of the way, always keep an eye on her and for the first few weeks help her out with her medicine like reminding her and stuff. Its new to her and younger people have better memory usually. So you have a responsibility now, its not massive so dont make it feel like a burden or anything but you will need to just step up from now on and just be wary of whats happening to your mum.

Thanks, everyone. I feel a little better knowing more about diabetes.
I found out today that she does, in fact have type 2 diabetes, and is, therefore, a little less dangerous.

Thank you guys for your support and the info.

Diabetes runs in the family. My grandpa has it, and my older sister has it. She has type one but only has because of a rare condition she has. Just make sure to tell her to stay active and healthy, it is the best way to go!

I'd recommend going to this site for help:

www.diabetesactnow.org

Both my mom and my grandmother were already diagnosed with Type II Diabetes and they've managed to fight against it really well.

my grandad has diabetes.
right here are the types
type 1 low sugar levels
type 2 high sugar levels

tidas said:
my grandad has diabetes.
right here are the types
type 1 low sugar levels
type 2 high sugar levels

Type 1 diabetes: results from the body's failure to produce insulin, and presently requires the person to inject insulin.

Type 2 diabetes: results from insulin resistance, a condition in which cells fail to use insulin properly, sometimes combined with an absolute insulin deficiency

I have Diabetes I was Diagnosed when I was 2 Months Old and I am now 18 Years Old.
It is possible to lead Healthy Normal lives With Diabetes but there are certain thing YOU can do to help your mother.

Things you can do
-make sure she checks her blood. (I cannot stress how important it is)
-Make sure she takes her Insulin shots! (or if its less serious her Pills)
-Help her be active (walks around the block will do any kind of activity)

with regards to life style:
-Learn to carb count (counting carbohydrates gives you an idea of how much insulin to give)
-Eat right (fruits and vegetables, whole grains, Water, and don't get Macdonald's oh god plz no Macdonald's! the French fries while good have A LOT of sugar)

About the differences:

Type 1 Diabetes is a disorder in which the body does not produce insulin (a hormone that aids in moving sugar from the blood to the cells). This type of diabetes can be due to a virus or autoimmune disorder in which the body does not recognize an organ as its own and attacks it. In this case the body attacks an organ known as the pancreas where insulin is made.

Those with Type 1 Diabetes are required to take insulin injections to move sugar from the bloodstream. This type of diabetes is usually diagnosed before age 40.

Type 2 Diabetes occurs when insulin that the body produces is less efficient at moving sugar out of the bloodstream. Some sugar is moved out of the blood, just not as effectively compared to a person with normal insulin efficiency. High blood sugars are a result of this.

Diet, exercise, weight loss, and possible medications are the treatment for this type of diabetes. Occasionally, someone with Type 2 may be placed on insulin to better control blood sugars. This type of diabetes is associated with physical inactivity and obesity. Type 2 Diabetes used to be thought of as the adult onset type of diabetes. However, an alarming rate of children are now being diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes.

Talk with your doctor or diabetes educator to learn more about what type of diabetes you have. Learn about what treatment is right for you.

Anymore questions feel free to PM me.

I am 15 and was dioginosed a few months Ago with type 1 diabetis. While it does change your life, you can still do all of the same things. You can still eat what you want, just nit as much as you want. You have to limit what you eat. I am still not great at this, but it is getting better.

Back