• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Dennied! Metal! (M Scizor / Garbodor )

Marcelo Pedrosa

Aspiring Trainer
Pokémon: 14
  • 3 Scizor Ex (BKP)
  • 3 M Scizor Ex (BKP)
  • 2 Trubbish (BKP)
  • 2 Garbodor (BKP)
  • 2 Durant (FLF)
  • 1 Bunnelby (PRC 121/160)
  • 1 Seismitoad Ex (FFI)
Trainers: 32
  • 3 Professor Sycamore
  • 2 N
  • 2 Professor Birch Observations
  • 2 Team Flare Grunt
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 1 Skyla
  • 1 Pokémon Center Lady
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Ultraball
  • 3 Float Stone
  • 1 Switch
  • 1 Startling Megaphone
  • 3 Scizor Spirit Link
  • 1 Professor's Letter
  • 1 Enhanced Hammer
  • 2 Crushing Hammer
Enegy: 10
  • 10 Metal Energy
Open Spots: 4

Strategy: I'd like to address these points:

1) Ideally I'd like to use M Scizor to attack and deny my opponent from a special energy and/or a stadium and have my Garbodor deny him his abilities. This won't be enought, but it is the core idea.

2) I feel the need to have better backup pokémon. I chose Durant and Bunnelby because they attack with 1 energy and I can somehow hurt my opponent's deck. Seismitoad is here just in case I need to face Fire Decks. But I think he won't be useful if I need to put 2 Metal energies on him on two different turns. Should I keep it? Do you know better options?

3)Lysandre, Team Flare Grunt, Startling Megaphone, Enhanced Hammer (only 1 since M Scizor does the job) and 2 Crushing Hammers. Is it enough?

4) Do I need any energy acceleration? Like Mega Turbo?

5) My deck has 4 open spots; I can play with Battle Compressors so when I get a VS Seeker I'll be able to choose a Lysandre or Grunt from discard and use it. (Editing for clarification: is this useful? Should I use Battle Compressor? Any better ideas for the last 4 cards?)

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Without Hex your deck my be subject to auto loss to Vileplume, or Trevenant, just because you run a heavy line of items.

I would do this:

-2 Durant
-1 Bunnelby
-1 Switch
-1 Professor's Letter
-2 Professor Birch's Observations
-1 Pokemon Center Lady
-1 Skyla

+2 Aegislash-EX
+2 N
+1 Professor Sycamore
+2 Crushing Hammers
+1 Delinquent
+1 Xerosic
+1 Super Rod
+1 Hex Maniac
+2 Shaymin-EX (Shut off by Garbodor but can help you set up early game)

Hope this helps! :)

Without Mega Turbo or Max Elixir, if you go second you're wasting your turn to attack because you have no way to attach a second energy. In a meta that's built around hard hitting, quick setups, you have to attack on the first turn you're able to attack. If you play NM, you're literally in the hole early and you wont be able to recover fast enough without a T2 OHKO of something. While Aegislash is acceptable in this DL, you're still either using it to stall or if you decide to use it's attack it'll take 3 turns to get energy on it to attack. It's too easy to get around it's ability with Garbodor or Hex. Either consider a Bronzong line or Mega Turbo or Max Elixir.

Alright so first I'm assuming you go through with the changes mentioned by Gabking, I feel like they would mostly help the deck deal with potential threats while improving consistency. Here are my additional suggestions...

-1 Shaymin EX
-2 Team Flare Grunt
-1 Enhanced Hammer/Crushing Hammer
-1 Float Stone

I would only play one Shaymin since you are relying on Garbodor's ability and you would hopefully have him set up by T2/3. By replacing that Shaymin with a Hoopa EX you can accelerate into multiple Scizors/M Scizors and call upon either Aegislash/Seismitoad depending on the match up. You can even call Shaymin up for use before Garbotoxin is activated. All of that is only an Ultra Ball away with Hoopa EX and since your Pokemon list would be 11 EXs/15 you should get good value out of him.

Since you can play only so many supporters I would personally drop the Team Flare Grunts since you still have cards with similar effects that you can play. Same with the Enhanced Hammer or Crushing Hammer. By dropping just one of them you can then add PokeDad's suggestion of energy acceleration. I would go with a 2/2 split between the two. Max Elixir can only be used by Benched Pokemon and at 10 energy running any more may be risking a swing-and-a-miss. The Mega Turbo can be useful in case you need to retreat a Scizor or something you would be able to get those energy back onto the Mega from the discard. You'll probably have to test to see which is more effective for you. May even conclude that you want to drop other cards to add more of each. Like PokeDad said you need to be able to attack and apply pressure as early as you can. And these cards can kickstart your attacks and maintain the flow of energy for additional attackers as well.

+1 Hoopa EX
+2 Mega Turbo
+2 Max Elixir

Alright so first I'm assuming you go through with the changes mentioned by Gabking, I feel like they would mostly help the deck deal with potential threats while improving consistency. Here are my additional suggestions...

-1 Shaymin EX
-2 Team Flare Grunt
-1 Enhanced Hammer/Crushing Hammer
-1 Float Stone

I would only play one Shaymin since you are relying on Garbodor's ability and you would hopefully have him set up by T2/3. By replacing that Shaymin with a Hoopa EX you can accelerate into multiple Scizors/M Scizors and call upon either Aegislash/Seismitoad depending on the match up. You can even call Shaymin up for use before Garbotoxin is activated. All of that is only an Ultra Ball away with Hoopa EX and since your Pokemon list would be 11 EXs/15 you should get good value out of him.

Since you can play only so many supporters I would personally drop the Team Flare Grunts since you still have cards with similar effects that you can play. Same with the Enhanced Hammer or Crushing Hammer. By dropping just one of them you can then add PokeDad's suggestion of energy acceleration. I would go with a 2/2 split between the two. Max Elixir can only be used by Benched Pokemon and at 10 energy running any more may be risking a swing-and-a-miss. The Mega Turbo can be useful in case you need to retreat a Scizor or something you would be able to get those energy back onto the Mega from the discard. You'll probably have to test to see which is more effective for you. May even conclude that you want to drop other cards to add more of each. Like PokeDad said you need to be able to attack and apply pressure as early as you can. And these cards can kickstart your attacks and maintain the flow of energy for additional attackers as well.

+1 Hoopa EX
+2 Mega Turbo
+2 Max Elixir

Thanks for the tips!

I'll try this deck. Only thing is that I don't want to run Aegislash Ex because I want to play Garbodor as soon as possible and I want it to stay there. Is there an option? I'm looking for a non Ex with a cheap attack that goes with the main idea of the deck. That is why I've put Durant, because I can't find anything else.

Hmm... I can't really think of anything besides the promo Jirachi XY67 w/ Stardust. It won't be a card used for damage but it actually does fit in nicely with the theme of the deck since it discards special energy off of your opponents active slot which can actually be enough to derail your opponents lock-based attacks (stuff like Regice and Jolteon EX typically use DCE to power their EX lock attacks so you can knock those off to once again attack with your Scizors).

I don't know what you're trying to block with Garbodor so early in the game. A simple Hex T1 really slows down a lot of decks and they can't Xerosic out of a hex like they can Garbodor

Arizaiaz, Jirachi is indeed a good option, but M Scizor already does the trick. That is the reason I put Durant or Bunnelby: they attack my opponents hand or deck. I'll leave the special energy discarding to M Scizor. =)

Also, it is easier for me to get those instead of a Jirachi promo =)

PokeDad5, I'm sure this is not a competitive deck, it is just for fun. But I still think about the main decks in my area: Greninja uses ability, NM uses DCE, same for YZG. Also almost every deck uses Shaymin Ex. If I gained control of the game before they could setup properly I'd be in for a good game. So there is nothing specific I want to block with Garbodor, but I think since I'm running one Aegislash would become a weak and slow Ex.

The new cobalion from steam siege can be a great secondary attacker. It can stall early game and pack-a-punch late game

You just have to be careful with Garbodor and be smart about playing it. If you're looking to shutdown Greninja's abilities, then yes Garbodor would be a great play, but I wouldn't throw him in just for one DL. If you run Aegislash, then Garbodor will hurt you more than help you especially since you have nothing to remove tools from Garbo once you activate his ability. If you're looking for early setup on Garbodor to ability lock decks, especially Shaymin and Hoopa, you may want to consider adding wally to the DL just so you can get that out faster. I've found a T1 Hex works just as good if not better than trying to get Garbodor out.

Hello everyone, thanks for your help. Today I finally was able to test this deck and for great results. I won 11 out of 12 games - even though sometimes the decks I fought were really bad.

I feel this deck works as disruptive deck, but since it deals 120 damage with 2 energies it doesn't fall back on damage. And sometimes I set up really fast, so all I need to do is wait for my opponent's move to counter it with something. Here is the list now;

Pokémon: 12
  • 3 Scizor Ex (BKP)
  • 3 M Scizor Ex (BKP)
  • 2 Trubbish (BKP)
  • 2 Garbodor (BKP)
  • 2 Shaymin (Roaring Skies)
Trainers: 38
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 2 N
  • 2 Professor Birch Observations
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 1 Skyla
  • 1 Pokémon Center Lady
  • 1 Xerosic
  • 1 Hex Maniac
  • 1 Deliquent
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Ultraball
  • 2 Float Stone
  • 1 Startling Megaphone
  • 3 Scizor Spirit Link
  • 1 Professor's Letter
  • 4 Crushing Hammer
  • 2 Max Elixir
  • 2 Mega Turbo
  • 1 Sacred Ash
Enegy: 10
  • 10 Metal Energy
What would I change:

Perhaps adding only one copy of Team Flare Grunt, since sometimes the coin just goes Tails when I Crushing Hammer. Also, there are times where my opponent can't do much and I could VS Seeker a Grunt without great harm to my hand because I didn't needed a draw support at the time.

What matchups did you face? Are you sure you faced good play testing partners as well?

As I said some decks were bad constructed.

That said, I faced two good decks and three others:

- M Mewtwo: it was a fair fight. He couldn't drop and maintain energies on his pokémon and I had resistance, so I won two matches. I've lost one match because I had a dead hand and couldn't draw the cards I needed. Also, 3 tails on 3 hammers.

- Entei: one of the best rounds since my Pokémon had weakness. I lost two Scizors really fast, but I could deny my opponent of his hand in the end and got 5 prizes with only one M Scizor. Faced him again and won, not because this deck is good, but because he started with one Shaymin and my Garbodor stopped his second. After that he couldn't set up.

- Water Toolbox without Seismitoad: easy game since my opponent couldn't use his abilities. 3 out of 3.

- M Gyarardos Ex: now I can say the Force was with me. My opponent even had Palkia "accelerating" his energies, but hammers were on my side. Turn two I was really set and hitting 120.

- There was this deck with Kangaskhan Ex that I'm not sure what was that. Anyway, he used a Mewtwo Ex to attack me, but I denied him of his energies. 2 out of 2.

I don't think this deck is competitive. It is fun and can get some people by surprise. =) Next weekend I'll try it in a local tournament and post results.

Back