Decmaster's T32 NoCal Regionals Report [Warning: I kinda forgot everything]

Decmaster

Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you.
Hey everyone, it's Decmaster here. I know I've been gone for a while, but I'll try to amend that. So, I bring you all my T32 Regionals report – fresh from this weekend. I'll cut the chatter and get on with it.
[WARNING: This'll be full of not much reporting, since I can't remember much. For your convenience, the important parts are bolded]

I stay over at my friends house about an hour and a half away. Meaty's there, too. I fix up my Empoleon deck (Yep, that's right, Empoleon) last minute and get to sleep. We wake up late and get a late start to the Santa Clara Fairgrounds. This combined with lots of traffic and a wrong exit ramp make us late – for the extended 20 minute registration. Registration ended at 9:55, but they extended it to 10:15. And we missed that, too. We get there around 10:20, and are told we'll get a first round loss. I'm okay with this. Interestingly enough, the judges tell us that, for some reason, we won't get a first round loss. I'm ecstatic.

I head off to the player meeting and get started without a hitch. Sorry if I don't remember much, I wasn't expecting to have anything interesting to report. This was only my second tournament in the master division, and the other one was a Battle Roads where I did terribly with a similar build of the deck I was playing right now.

I'm not going to even write this up in a fancy "Round X" format. I forget absolutely everything up until Round 7, with little tidbits here and there.

1-0
1-1 – Lost a close game against Darkrai/Terrakion. This guy made Top Cut, I'm pretty sure.
2-1
3-1
....Somewhere in here, I played a guy I know with an Eels deck. My Terrakions really pulled through for me in this match, and I managed to beat one of my toughest match ups.
4-1 – (I think) It was after this round that I had a friend offer me a Tropical Beach if I made Top Cut. Challenge Accepted.
5-1

Round 6 Vs. ???
Started with a lone Piplup. He starts Mewtwo EX, benches another, attaches a DCE and 40. I Catcher a benched Mewtwo EX to stall. He topdecks a Switch for game. The irony is that I'm pretty sure that he had some kind of Ho-oh variant. He made Top cut, too, I think. Our decks get called for random Deck Check.
5-2

I go up to get my deck, and find out something interesting. In my haste to fill out my deck list, I had made a mistake:

4 Pokemon Catcher
2 Pokemon Catcher

Had I really done that? I had meant to write "Pokemon Communication!" The judges give me a warning and force me to replace the Communication with two basic energy of my choice. That was dumb. I hope that that won't haunt me in the coming game. I'm just glad that it was that late in the day, and not sooner.

Considering the amount of people, I was pretty sure I had to win the next one to make Top Cut. I go into this match, knowing how much rode on this win.

Round 8 Vs. Garchomp/Altaria
For some reason, I remember this match crystal clear. I start terribly, and can only watch as he sets up perfectly. He N's, and I get a god-tier hand. And, in terms of a Garchomp and Empoleon matchup, it's a trading prize fest. However, I draw a Max Potion, so I take the K.O., even though he attacked first. At this point, I Catcher kill his Gabites, and he gets one too many dead draws. That combined with no energy on his side means I got the game. It's actually pretty ironic, since I started the game so badly.
6-2

Swiss over.

The standings take forever to go up. When they finally do, I eagerly eye the paper for my name. Then, I find it.

| 26th | Decmaster |

I made Top Cut! Out of 193 people! I gave my deck to the Judges, and get my Tropical Beach from my friend. I find out another Empoleon Topped, this one running Accelgor for support. I thought it was an interesting combo.

Instead of driving the hour and a half back to where my friend lived, we room with another group that rented a hotel room literally a minute from the tournament.

I wake up bright and early the next day to get to the tournament by 8:00. There's some problem, and the Top Cut players don't enter until around 8:30. I sit down at the table and start the matches.

Top Cut – Round 1 – Game 1 Vs. Hammer Time
I start with a lone Terrakion, and he sets up rather fast. By the time I'm able to hit for damage, he's taken five prizes. I scoop to conserve a small amount of time. (I was going to lose the next turn; I probably should have scooped earlier)

Top Cut – Round 1 – Game 2 Vs. Hammer Time
I manage to start rather nicely this game. I do, however, Juniper away a Catcher, something I normally wouldn't do. But, it helped me set up, and so it was all good – for then. We trade prizes for a bit, and he keeps using Max Potion to clear damage I'm doing to his Mewtwo EX. That bothers me a bit. It comes down to him having a Sableye, 2 Mewtwo EX, a Darkrai EX, a Tornadus EX, and a Terrakion. My only Empoleon can knock out one of the Mewtwos, the Sableye, or the Darkrai. And I only had one Catcher left (I had used three). I hold the Catcher and kill the Darkrai. He promotes a Mewtwo with what must have been seven energy and kills my only Empoleon. I'm forced to send out an Emolga and Catcher the Sableye, hoping so stall and maybe set up an Empoleon. No such luck, and I'm done for. GG

6-3 – Out of Top Cut.

All in all, it was a great run. I got 7 packs, out of which I pulled nothing. I had a great time.

Pro's
• Making Top Cut
• Winning with Empoleon
• Tropical Beach
• Learning that I want to make Ray-Eels just for fun (Which I'm going to call "Ray-el Gun" (pronounced "Rail Gun"))

Con's
• Bumming out of Top Cut
• Messing up my deck list

Looking forward to the Winter Regionals now!

(Again, I must apologize for this being such a mess. I'm tired, and I know that sleeping will only make my memory more hazy. Heck, if anyone on here remembers anything about my tournament run, feel free to tell me. I'll happily update this post)

Thanks for wading through my mess of a Regionals report.

Great job Declan! Who would've expected Empoleon to do so well at Regionals? Hope this motivates you to continue to get better for Winter Regionals!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Great job. I could have topped if my R6 opponent didn't have Rayquaza...
And you're going to Oregon?! dang i wish i could come.

Back