Discussion Decks with Potential for After Upcoming Rotation

Now that we know Phantom Forces is gone, here is the rest of my list.

Zygarde --- without the ease of lysandre, Zygard will be a strong play. Regrirocks will be hard to pull out and the Zyguard deck is easy to play.

Grinijia -- again without the ease of lysandre, Greninja giant water shruken gets more dangerous. Greninja free retreat will be hard to answer.

Yveltal EX/Garitnia/Darkria -- Dark is just silly. With yveltal EX and Darkria EX easy acceleration, and no quick electric Pokemon in the format to answer them anymore, people will prey on this quirk in the game.

Garchomp -- This is the same as Grinijia, that free retreat will be massive in this format.

Ray Ray/Jolteon -- That lysandre escape rope move is going to be really hard to pull off now. Jolteon's quick energy acceleration, and ability to answer the yveltals are going to be big.

Anything/Garbordor -- We are going to see a lot of Garbordor. Startling Megaphone I don't believe is released. Xerosic says good by. One tool drop and abilities are gone. Trainers will abuse the tatic. On the upside, tools will fun to play! Garbordor will be a big threat and can be played with a lot of different style of pokemons. It will also be hard to Lysandre out.

Honestly, I think Fairy gets better in the format. Fairy has always been slow. And now with Steam Siege, we will see some quick responding pokemon. I think in this format Baby Xernias/break and Max Elixier will push fairy acceleration faster. It will have a better matchup with dark.

Rainbow Force: I think this deck will be good, really good. If anything, it just gains more.

Those are my expectations. The core of this meta I believe will be about free retreat and tools for a little bit.

Now that we know Phantom Forces is gone, here is the rest of my list.

Zygarde --- without the ease of lysandre, Zygard will be a strong play. Regrirocks will be hard to pull out and the Zyguard deck is easy to play.

Grinijia -- again without the ease of lysandre, Greninja giant water shruken gets more dangerous. Greninja free retreat will be hard to answer.

Ray Ray/Jolteon -- That lysandre escape rope move is going to be really hard to pull off now. Jolteon's quick energy acceleration, and ability to answer the yveltals are going to be big.

You say this as if Lysandre will be rotated, but he was reprinted in AOR.

Honestly, I think Fairy gets better in the format. Fairy has always been slow. And now with Steam Siege, we will see some quick responding pokemon. I think in this format Baby Xernias/break and Max Elixier will push fairy acceleration faster. It will have a better matchup with dark.
Aromatisse is gone, sooooo, yeah.

Rayquaza/Jolteon lost nothing but battle compressor (which is not the core card), plus Jolitk and Manectric ex are gonna rotate out, it's only thread are Raichu and Zebstrika only. i expected Rayquaza deck to be tier 1, with or without Jolteon ex, as the main reason tom play Jolteon ex is for NM anyway. Maybe Rayquaza/Raichu or Rayquaza/Zoroark will take place.

Greninja lost Grenina xy1. although its just one card, i think this still affect how this deck perform. on the other hand, with NM this deck no longer need 2-3 Jirachi to stall, which makes room to include other cards.

Dark deck could be further diversified into YZG and Quad zoroark/yveltal. YZG can't work without battle compressor, and let's think about this, the main reason to play Gallade in the past is because of Manectric ex, and now it's gone. quad zoroark looks good, lost nothing really important, gain an item call attactive perfume (i don't remember the exact name) which let you look into opponent's hand and put as many basic you found there. i think this cards may even better than target whistle. target whistle on T1 is a dead card. this perfume, for the worst case, becomes a card to look into opponent's hand only, which is still an useful effect.

Fairy gain a new M Gardevoir ex. not the traditional Aromatisse/ fairy garden/Xerneas approach, but it can use skyfield/Hoopa ex/ Shaymin ex and consistently hittting 140-160, with Karen to recycle all discarded pokemon. with bronzonmg rotated out, all metal deck are dead (except M scizor ex maybe, but who's gonna play it?), Gardevoir ex has nearly no weakness.

Grass deck like M sceptile ex and Serperior lost nothing important too, the question is, will Volcanion becomes popular.

what he means is that without the battle compressor/ vs seeker combo, its harder to hit lysandre as we have to actually draw it now
It may not be a 'good' replacement but there is Steven, Skyla, and if you are really brave Emergency Receiver still available. I'll grant that you have to set up the play instead of doing it in one turn, but you can still increase the number of Lysander in the deck from 4 to 12 if you need to.

Anything/Garbordor -- We are going to see a lot of Garbordor. Startling Megaphone I don't believe is released. Xerosic says good by. One tool drop and abilities are gone. Trainers will abuse the tatic. On the upside, tools will fun to play! Garbordor will be a big threat and can be played with a lot of different style of pokemons. It will also be hard to Lysandre out.
what he means is that without the battle compressor/ vs seeker combo, its harder to hit lysandre as we have to actually draw it now
It may not be a 'good' replacement but there is Steven, Skyla, and if you are really brave Emergency Receiver still available. I'll grant that you have to set up the play instead of doing it in one turn, but you can still increase the number of Lysander in the deck from 4 to 12 if you need to.

To be fair, Lysandre was absolutely fine and pretty consistent way before Battle Compressor became used in virtually every highly competitive deck in the recent few months. All Battle Compressor does to Lysandre (and any Supporter really) is that it gets it into your discard Turn 1. If your deck is well structured and you manage it well, Lysandre should be in your discard whenever you need it... which means you just need the VS Seeker, just like with Battle Compressor. So I don't think the change is going to be noticeable. This is particularly noteworthy in the case of Garbador, because we dealt with it fine before the Battle Compressor Lysandre combo.

To be fair, Lysandre was absolutely fine and pretty consistent way before Battle Compressor became used in virtually every highly competitive deck in the recent few months. All Battle Compressor does to Lysandre (and any Supporter really) is that it gets it into your discard Turn 1. If your deck is well structured and you manage it well, Lysandre should be in your discard whenever you need it... which means you just need the VS Seeker, just like with Battle Compressor. So I don't think the change is going to be noticeable. This is particularly noteworthy in the case of Garbador, because we dealt with it fine before the Battle Compressor Lysandre combo.

I always thought it was a bit harder to hit the Lysander in the last format. Gosh, I remember playing upward of two to three lysanders in the last format, just so I could knockout garbador or donphan. I think puzzle of time and trainers mail will alleviate that issue some, but I don't think it will work nearly as well as bc to vs. 60 cards are just a lot of cards to dig through to hit what you need when you need it. Ultraball will need to do double the labor. I think it might be one of those forgotten things that nab trainers when they start play testing.

Serperior and Zygarde EX will both still be decent. Everything that relies on Battle Compressor is done-for (thank goodness). Yveltal might still see play with a combo of Yveltal Break and Spiritombs being released. Also, i think Yanmega Break is going to be a good deck when Steam Siege comes out.

No one is saying anything about M Gyarados Ex :( In my last league challenge i finished in 4th place, I could have ended higher but night march and vespiqueen got in the way, they where too fast. With battle compresor and night march and manectric gone, and a lot of water resources i see a future for the big red shrimp. In previous tournaments, M mewtwo was a challenge, but regice countered it my only fear for this upcoming season is pokemon ranger, but i doubt players will bring more than 1 card. What are your opinions???

No one is saying anything about M Gyarados Ex :( In my last league challenge i finished in 4th place, I could have ended higher but night march and vespiqueen got in the way, they where too fast. With battle compresor and night march and manectric gone, and a lot of water resources i see a future for the big red shrimp. In previous tournaments, M mewtwo was a challenge, but regice countered it my only fear for this upcoming season is pokemon ranger, but i doubt players will bring more than 1 card. What are your opinions???
There are much better megas. If you are going to focus on one I think Mega Mewtwo Y and Mega Rayquaza Colorless will be great post rotation.

I always thought it was a bit harder to hit the Lysander in the last format. Gosh, I remember playing upward of two to three lysanders in the last format, just so I could knockout garbador or donphan. I think puzzle of time and trainers mail will alleviate that issue some, but I don't think it will work nearly as well as bc to vs. 60 cards are just a lot of cards to dig through to hit what you need when you need it. Ultraball will need to do double the labor. I think it might be one of those forgotten things that nab trainers when they start play testing.
It would be harder, just not noticeable, unless you're playing against Donphan for obvious reasons. Even then, you would have added the third Lysandre because you wouldn't always get the VS Seeker that you need, not so much the Lysandre in the discard (you probably always had one in the discard to be honest).

Serperior and Zygarde EX will both still be decent. Everything that relies on Battle Compressor is done-for (thank goodness). Yveltal might still see play with a combo of Yveltal Break and Spiritombs being released. Also, i think Yanmega Break is going to be a good deck when Steam Siege comes out.
Serperior is not going to be a good deck after rotation. It loses AZ, Xerosic, and Super Scoop Up, a few core cards. Without Xerosic, the deck takes a bitter autoloss to Garbodor decks. Without AZ and Super Scoop Up, you can't reuse Shaymins or try to flip heads again. The only way to try to flip heads again is Devolution Spray, and that doesn't always work. I know my way around Serperior quite well, and I can tell you from experience, the deck NEEDS desperately all the support it can get.
That was the only reason I was able to bring down Eeveeplume/Miltank more than a couple times.
Edit: That said, I really should get working on my PRC-ON WaterBox deck...

Last edited:
I personally think that Greninja Break decks will shine after the format switched. Yeah night march is gone which is kind of what helped make it seem so good, but assuming the deck gets at least some support in the upcoming set(s) then I feel the deck will do great especially considering the only huge card they're losing is the 1 of xy greninja that they ran(I could be forgetting some others).

I personally think that Greninja Break decks will shine after the format switched. Yeah night march is gone which is kind of what helped make it seem so good, but assuming the deck gets at least some support in the upcoming set(s) then I feel the deck will do great especially considering the only huge card they're losing is the 1 of xy greninja that they ran(I could be forgetting some others).
I'm not sure if you were aware or not but Garb will most likely be the play for the 2017 Format due to the fact that there will be no card to get rid of tools in which case would shut off your Giant Water Shuriken's, and possibly Octillery if you opt to run it.

darkrai is going to steamroll the format, so buy them while they're cheap!

I'm not sure if you were aware or not but Garb will most likely be the play for the 2017 Format due to the fact that there will be no card to get rid of tools in which case would shut off your Giant Water Shuriken's, and possibly Octillery if you opt to run it.
You've clearly not played Greninja BREAK, when you fight against Garb you snipe off the Trubbish before it either evolves or gets a tool

Back