Discussion Deck based on Darkrai XY114?

Turtleatlaw

Aspiring Trainer
I'd really like to make a deck based on the promo Darkrai from the Generations box. Not necessarily for cut-throat competition, but just to have fun with on TCGO. I think the Abyssal Sleep attack could lead to a lot of fun. Any recommendations for what cards would combo or work well with it? Either standard or expanded is fine.

xy114.png

I've been trying to come up with a deck list around the generations Darkrai promo and I may try it out with Vileplume and Max Elixir. The idea is to run a Vileplume engine to try and get Vileplume out turn 1 but in that process, use Max Elixir to power Darkrai up. That way you can shut down your opponent as much as possible with item lock and sleep. If you hit at least 1 Max Elixir so that you have 2 energy on Darkrai turn 1, you can troll your opponent as early as turns 1 and 2. Other cards I might include are Yveltal (XY), Zoroak (Breakthrough if you can fit it), Darkrai Ex (Breakpoint as a secondary attacker) and Fighting Fury Belt for the extra HP and it makes Darkrai's Abyssal Sleep attack do 90 damage to get 2 hit knock outs on most EX Pokemon. Or instead of Vileplume maybe Seismitoad EX or Wobbufett/Robo Substitute. I haven't tried any of this out yet since I don't have 4 of the Darkrai on PTCGO but just brainstorming lol. Let me know if you come up with anything I would love to hear it! I really think the generations Darkrai can be a fun and possibly really effective deck.

Last edited:
Night march though. Even with Vileplume it still kills this thing.
True. Tech in a Stardust Jirachi Promo might help. But idk if this deck can do much about Night March. I think it'll be a lot more viable when Phantom Forces gets rotated out like a lot of stuff since the format isn't super EX heavy right now. This would most likely be a tier 2 deck.

I've been trying to come up with a deck list around the generations Darkrai promo and I may try it out with Vileplume and Max Elixir. The idea is to run a Vileplume engine to try and get Vileplume out turn 1 but in that process, use Max Elixir to power Darkrai up. That way you can shut down your opponent as much as possible with item lock and sleep. If you hit at least 1 Max Elixir so that you have 2 energy on Darkrai turn 1, you can troll your opponent as early as turns 1 and 2. Other cards I might include are Yveltal (XY), Zoroak (Breakthrough if you can fit it), Darkrai Ex (Breakpoint as a secondary attacker) and Fighting Fury Belt for the extra HP and it makes Darkrai's Abyssal Sleep attack do 90 damage to get 2 hit knock outs on most EX Pokemon. Or instead of Vileplume maybe Seismitoad EX or Wobbufett/Robo Substitute. I haven't tried any of this out yet since I don't have 4 of the Darkrai on PTCGO but just brainstorming lol. Let me know if you come up with anything I would love to hear it! I really think the generations Darkrai can be a fun and possibly really effective deck.

Nice! Really appreciate your suggestions - will have to try out the Vileplume and Darkrai combo.

Night march though. Even with Vileplume it still kills this thing.

Not so much against a T1 Vileplume, which Forest of Giant Plants makes a possibility. Not sure if that is the route I would take, but I am just throwing it out there as a possibility.

Night March has its vulnerabilities. Not saying it isn't one of if not the best deck in both Standard and Expanded right now, but we have the beginnings of a deck that should actually have a solid match up against it. The trick to remember is why you'd focus on Darkrai (XY: Black Star Promos XY114). Its "Dark Cutter" attack is mediocre so we are trying to optimize its "Abyssal Sleep" attack instead, right? First let me focus on that, then I'll suggest how we might handle Night March.

Vileplume (XY: Ancient Origins 3/98) does seem like the correct call to me. Unfortunately, we also should probably try to squeeze in Silent Lab as well. Your opponent will need the Ability off of a non-Basic Pokémon or else a Supporter to get out of being stuck Asleep in the Active slot. I don't know if that means running a split between Silent Lab and Forest of Giant Plants or just not striving for a first turn Vileplume. I also don't think a first turn Darkrai is that important either; if the rest of the stuff works, your opponent shouldn't build up too quickly either. That means we could open with good ol' Yveltal (first released as XY 78/146): use "Oblivion Wing" to soften up whatever is Active (maybe even take an early Prize if said Active is small) while building Darkrai on the Bench. When Yveltal falls or it is worth retreating it, switch to Darkrai. Abyssal Sleep (preferably with either a Muscle Band or Fighting Fury Belt attached) will then go for 2HKOs against presumably helpless foes. Your opponent will get a chance to counterattack anytime you take a Prize, which makes Fighting Fury Belt preferred.

So about Night March... if you've got Yveltal and Vileplume, you should have what you need to deal with it. Night March has to go first and get a really good set up, otherwise you shut down Items, Shaymin-EX, and Mew (XY: Fates Collide 29/124). Joltik and Pumpkaboo can score OHKOs if the opponent has about six Night Marchers in the discard pile, but Yveltal can OHKO them right back for just one Energy, and Darkrai for two (which if Yveltal leads, isn't a huge burden). If Items and Basic's Abilities are locked down, this does not leave a lot of wiggle room for Night March. Even with all four Lampent in the discard pile (none Prized or stuck in hand/deck) that is just 80 damage; Darkrai survives hits from either Joltik or Pumpkaboo, and Yveltal survives attacks from Pumpkaboo. It will take another three Night Marchers in the discard pile for Pumpkaboo to OHKO Darkrai thanks to Resistance, or Yveltal thanks to its slightly beefier HP score. Joltick needs six total Night Marchers in the discard pile to OHKO Darkrai.

It really will come down to who gets what when. Night March isn't facing an autoloss, but if either the player or the deck itself experiences a hiccup, it may as well be. For a "fun" deck that isn't too bad, is it?

Sounds pretty fun and like something I'll have to try out.
Thanks guys! I'll let you know how it works out

I played against someone who used Mew FCO, Dimension Valley, and Max Elixir. It was pretty deadly.

I played against someone who used Mew FCO, Dimension Valley, and Max Elixir. It was pretty deadly.

The good news is a faster attack, the bad news is that things like Keldeo-EX aren't being stopped (as with Silent Lab). Of course in Standard that isn't a concern. ;) Oh, and was it still using Vileplume or does the deck have to worry about cards like Switch?

Back