DCL in Blastoise

alex

Miss the game
Do you guys think adding maybe 2-2 DCL in Blastoise would be good? And then you would change the strategy from trying to snipe to kill, but to snipe to put a lot of damage on the field, and then DCL multiple prizes at once while killing the most important pokemon.

EDIT: Or would maybe Kyurem be better as it is not legendary and keeps the same energy type?

The idea of Blastoise is to take cheap prizes on whatever cards it can, then try to finish up from there. Its viability comes in because it has incredibly favorable Stage 1, Gothitelle, and to a lesser extent Reshiram matchups, even though it sucks against the rest of the field. It's not a spread deck; it's a snipe deck. DCL is only good in spreading decks where you can't focus the damage as much as you can with Blastoise.

You'd need way too many turns of snipe anyway. 100 damage is miniscule when compared to something like Kyurem doing 180. And it's too hard to setup enough Blastoise to play a DCL-based game. Also, imagine playing against Magnezone, you need 3 snipes before DCL will double KO, and then that's 4 turns spent for the same number of prizes as you could have gotten just using Blastoise. The remaining 20 damage can't KO anything.

Hmm, I guess you are right. It can get quite easy prizes all ready. What do you think of maybe 2-2 Donphan and 3 Rainbow as a Zekrom counter? And then have like 2-3 Switch.

I prefer Zoroark since no modifications to the energy line are necessary, it has a basic with better retreat cost, and is good outside of just against Zekrom. Although, I'm not sure if it has the room for that kind of a tech. I'd almost rather just accept the one auto-loss, but you can also play a pesudo-Magnezone/Floatzel strategy against Magnezone, which is the deck's only other really bad matchup. I'm not quite sure what to make of that tech space tbh.

I think that Zekrom is just being played to much to not put a tech in for it. I have actually never seen a single Magnezone deck this entire season out of the 4 BRs I have gone to. But doesn't Zoroark, after it uses Bolt Strike, become easily return ko-ed by another Zekrom or Tornadus?

Donphan folds to Tornadus too. Zoroark has a better chance against either of these cards, while Donphan does a better job against one. Also, removing their Zekrom from play after they Pachi-Min when it has 3 energy on it is often enough to let Blastoise clean up.

In a blastoise build you are sniping not spreading. Though this could work a better choice would be iether KGL, kyurem, or zoroark. My cousin runs a blastoise and i helped him make it and believe me a KGL can become your worse nighmare if set up fast enough (he once took out my whole bench) so all in all i would pass on DCL

Yeah I agree with Celebi in that fitting in zoroark just hurts the decks consistancy and I'd rather just take the auto-loss against zekrom.

Also, they may get horrible starts, and with kyurem, the matchup is winnable at times. You just need to take out 2 or so zekroms and
deprive them of energy on the field. Kyurem not having weakness helps too.

On the whole, Kyurem really makes the deck a more viable option to run, as it softens stuff up for a blastoise snipe. Magnezone is still annoying
due to that 140HP, but you can usually get off 2 kyurems before they knock it out, if you time it right.

Good in theory, but there are some problems. One, as others mentioned it is a snipe deck not a spread. Two, you have to put in psychic or rainbow and that is way out of your energy line. Three, what matchup will it help you in?
These are all reasons why DCL isn't needed. It is a decent card and is the definition of fun deck, but it isn't worth it in competative play. I personally havent tested it so I may be wrong, but the deck seems to have tight space and a legend doesn't slide into just any deck.

Kyurem's Outrage makes it a very nice Zekrom counter. After one Bolt Strike, Kyurem can hit back for 140 damage. Because of that amount of overkill, you can even run Defender/Eviolite to save your Kyurems from Bolt Strike with Pluspower.

So 3 Kyurem, 4 Defender will probably help you get more easy KO's and improve your Zekrom matchup.

Well, a ZPST player would make sure to have the ohko, so it doesn't really work well as a counter. If the Zekrom player doesn't have the ohko, they'll use Outrage or Pokémon Catcher to knockout another Pokémon.

^Meaning the worst case scenario is that Kyurem makes them waste a Catcher. If you define it like that, it's currently impossible to counter any deck. Anyway, I didn't say Kyurem brutally murders ZPS, I said it would improve the matchup and help the deck in general.

I disagree with that too.

With 3 Pluspower, 3-4 Junk Arm, and 2-4 Catcher, Kyruem doesn't pose much of a threat.

I thought this had died off. Anyways, I agree with Glacreon, I run Zekrom and only someone who had just started would put 120 damage counters on another dragon. It would be unlikely for Kyurem to be able to get a single prize off Zekrom, because if they run out of Pluspower they can just start attacking with Tornadus, which you would still need a Pluspower to ko after a Hurricane.

Back