Ruling DCE and retreat

AlexanderTheAwesome

Go! Chandelure!
Let's say I have a Pokémon w/ a 3 retreat cost. And I have 2 basic energy cards attached to it and a Double Colorless energy. Can I choose to discard both basic energy cards and the DCE (that would be discarding 4 energies) or do I not have a choice and can only discard the 1 basic energy and the DCE.
103-double-colorless-energy.jpg

Another Professor can correct me if I'm wrong, but as long as you are paying the Retreat Cost, then that would be fine.

I would assume that if you choose to discard the two basic Energies, you would then _have_ to choose the DCE as well in order to fulfill the Retreat Cost.

dmaster out.

Q. Can you over pay retreat cost? I mean like if you wanted to get rid of a Darkness Energy from a free retreat pokemon, could you discard the darkness anyway when you retreat?
A. No. (Aug 9, 2001 WotC Chat, Q311)

You don't have a choice. You're not allowed to overpay retreat cost. In that scenario, you have to discard the DCE and 1 Basic Energy, not 2.

This doesn't apply to situations where you don't have a choice to not overpay: for example, if your Pokemon had 2 DCEs on it, and nothing else. You would discard the 2 DCEs to pay the 3 retreat cost.

asdf did some poking around and dmaster is right. When retreating, you discard energies, one at a time (of your choosing), until the retreat cost is satisfied. So you can discard the 2 basic energies, and THEN the DCE, and it'd work. But if you discard the DCE first, you just discard 1 basic energy card and you're done.

curse you official rulebook *shakes fist*

Back