• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Dark Head (Darkrai EX / Malamar EX)

Sjokwaave

Aspiring Trainer
Pokemon (13):
  • 4 Darkrai EX
  • 3 Malamar EX
  • 2 Shaymin EX
  • 2 Zorua
  • 2 Zoroark
Trainer/Supporters/Stadiums (35):
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Muscle Band
  • 4 Energy Switch
  • 3 Trainers' Mail
  • 3 Professor Birch's Observations
  • 3 Professor Sycamore
  • 2 Shadow Circle
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 2 Float Stone
  • 2 Max Elixir
  • 1 Delinquent
  • 1 Skyla
Energy (12):
  • 8 Darkness Energy
  • 4 Double Colourless Energy
Strategy:

So this seems like a deck a lot of people are waiting to get their hands on and play, including myself. I've seen various forms posted already, but I'm trying to reduce it to the most competitive possible variant: no fat and no questionable techs.

I considered Hypno but that would mean having 2 evolution lines (and the utility Zoroark provides is too good to drop) leading to bad hands and a slower start. Malamar also has the benefit of being a decent attacker. It does however mean we're running 4 Energy Switch.

Shadow Circle is here for the stadium wars mainly but there are quite a few Mewtwo decks around and Gallade is a thing, so it provides some utility. I could be sold on Reverse Valley but it isn't likely to turn any 2HKOs into OHKOs if Darkrai is already wearing a muscle band, so it seems a little redundant.

I'm not sure whether to drop the Fan Club and Super Rod for a couple of Max Elixirs. Those are really two open slots that I'm not very sure about.

Last edited:
reverse valley could make the difference if you use fighting spirit belt instead of muscle band. Then your Darkrai would have 220 hp, and still hit for 180 (160+10+10).

A valid point, but that means 2 trainers to hit that 180 dmg mark instead of one. I may test Reverse Valley out, but for the sake of consistency (and being able to take out appossing Toads etc as early as possible) I think I'm going to stick with the Muscle Bands.

Current changes:

-Pokemon Fan club
-Super Rod

+2 Max Elixir

The Super Rod and Fan Club were nice in the odd game I drew them but I've found I'm always happy to draw Elixir.

Further play has resulted in the following:

- Judge
-AZ

+Delinquent
+Skyla

Running only two stadiums has proven detrimental. Lots of people are gravitating towards water decks with Breakpoint (at least in my local testing) and not being able to get rid of Rough Seas has been a hindrance, though obviously any stadium of benefit to my opponent is worth removing. Hence Delinquent. I may just end up running a 3rd Shadow Circle but the hand disruption seems like it could be nice.

I've also gotten into the habit recently of throwing a singleton AZ into almost every deck I make at the minute for the usual reasons (prize denial, reuse Shaymin) but Skyla is more beneficial here, allowing me to grab my Energy Switch's etc. I may even drop a Sycamore or Birch for a second copy, but I'll test the one for now.

Back