• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Expanded Dark deck help please

drmatt07

Aspiring Trainer
Currently using the following deck but find myself changing my mind a lot so could do with some help.

12 Pokemon

Yveltal ex x2
Mewtwo ex (xball)
Lugia ex x1 (Xy- deep hurricane)
Darkrai ex (dark cloak ability) x2
Tauros GX
Yveltal (fright night) x2
Eevee
Umbreon GX
Shaymin ex

13 energy

9 dark
4 DCE

35 trainers

Fighting fury x3

Roseannes research x2
Max elixir x2

Lysandre x2
VCG x3
H Lazer x4

Dark patch x 4
Vs seeker x3

POkemon centre lady x2
Life dew

Syyla x2
Prof S x2
PONT
Ghetis or ninja boy (For use with Tauros GX)
N

Battle combusted x2

Thought about possibly another vs seeker? Is max elixir worth it?

Play on tcg but also with friends where we can use any cards

Please help thanks

drmatt07, Friday at 4:10 PMEditThreadmarkReport
#1+ QuoteReply

Decent list, however, there are some glaring problems with it, and they are:

PONT is not expanded legal, as it is pre-Black and White, the same goes for Rosanne's Research.
Skyla isn't very good in this type of deck at all.
Lugia-EX is a worse form of both Mewtwo-EX (with X Ball) and Yveltal-EX, so I suggest removing it.
Also, Mewtwo-EX is not great to put in here anymore. You can't Dark Patch to it, Yveltal-EX has a higher damage output, and it's an easy KO for Night March.
Pokemon Center Lady also isn't preferred in Expanded as there are much better options for Supporter cards.
Running only a 1-1 line of Umbreon-GX is bad. You'll almost never get it, and never need. Darkrai-EX (with Dark Cloak) is strictly better.
Life Dew is also not the ACE SPEC you want to run in this deck, it doesn't really help you at all.
Max Elixir is also inconsistent in this deck, since you want to accelerate energy via Dark Patch, meaning the energy have to be in the discard, giving you a smaller hit percentage for Max Elixir. Making it not worthwhile.
Tauros-GX doesn't appear to be needed here, as you'll want to be attacking with others. Plus it needs to be damaged to do any good, which means it's another easy KO just sitting in the active slot. This being said, Ghetsis will take the Ninja Boy slot (plus Ghetsis is a fantastic card).
Hypnotoxic Lasers and Virbank City Gym aren't nearly as strong in this deck as they once were. There are better Stadiums and Items to put in.

That being said, take out those 22 cards.

Replace them with the following 13 cards:
1 Computer Search ACE SPEC - this card is the best ACE SPEC for this deck. It helps so much to execute the plan of this deck.
1 Professor Sycamore - Draw supports are good mid to late game when you desperately need something.
1 Jirachi-EX - This is just a really good card in Expanded, almost all decks should run one, especially Yveltal-EX.
4 Ultra Ball - Not sure why these aren't in the deck to begin with, virtually every deck needs them no matter what.
2 Gallade (BKT) and 1 Archeops (NVI) - Gallade helps you against both the mirror match and verse Turbo Dark, and well as helping you're consistency, and Archeops prevents your opponent from evolving.
2 Maxie's Hidden Ball Trick - Gets out Gallade and Archeops.
1 Sableye (DEX) - Huge help for setting up a Maxie and getting back things like Dark Patch in mid to late game.
1 Keldeo-EX - Status conditions are more prominent in Expanded than in Standard, and Keldeo-EX helps get out of them.
1 Float Stone - Used for Keldeo-EX to switch freely between Pokemon.
3 Trainers' Mail - Used to hit those other key trainer cards, a consistency card.
2 Parallel City - Situation pending, limiting either players' bench is huge for denying prizes / limiting damage output.
1 VS Seeker - This needs to be maxed out, no question about it.
1 Battle Compressor - Two is too few to execute the Maxie game play, which is needed in Expande for this deck.

Other notes:
Taking out a Darkrai-EX for a 4th Battle Compressor can help the deck be more consistent.
Possibly switch 1 Yveltal (BKT) for 1 Yveltal (XY), it really helps against denial decks.

Hope this helps, obviously make changes you think are needed. However, this is the most successful and consistent version of Yveltal-EX.

there is no point in running Umbreon-GX in expanded imo. Darkrai DEX has the same attack (slightly less favorable energy configuration but dark patches patch that up), can use FFB to get more HP than Umbreon and has an ability that is better than strafe in most circumstances. You lose the GX attack but this doesn't really seem to be a disruption focused deck.

PONT is not expanded legal, as it is pre-Black and White, the same goes for Rosanne's Research.
Lugia-EX is a worse form of both Mewtwo-EX (with X Ball) and Yveltal-EX, so I suggest removing it.
Also, Mewtwo-EX is not great to put in here anymore. You can't Dark Patch to it, Yveltal-EX has a higher damage output, and it's an easy KO for Night March.
Pokemon Center Lady also isn't preferred in Expanded as there are much better options for Supporter cards.
Running only a 1-1 line of Umbreon-GX is bad. You'll almost never get it, and never need. Darkrai-EX (with Dark Cloak) is strictly better.
Life Dew is also not the ACE SPEC you want to run in this deck, it doesn't really help you at all.
Max Elixir is also inconsistent in this deck, since you want to accelerate energy via Dark Patch, meaning the energy have to be in the discard, giving you a smaller hit percentage for Max Elixir. Making it not worthwhile.
Tauros-GX doesn't appear to be needed here, as you'll want to be attacking with others. Plus it needs to be damaged to do any good, which means it's another easy KO just sitting in the active slot. This being said, Ghetsis will take the Ninja Boy slot (plus Ghetsis is a fantastic card).
Hypnotoxic Lasers and Virbank City Gym aren't nearly as strong in this deck as they once were. There are better Stadiums and Items to put in.

1 Computer Search ACE SPEC - this card is the best ACE SPEC for this deck. It helps so much to execute the plan of this deck.
1 Professor Sycamore - Draw supports are good mid to late game when you desperately need something.
1 Jirachi-EX - This is just a really good card in Expanded, almost all decks should run one, especially Yveltal-EX.
4 Ultra Ball - Not sure why these aren't in the deck to begin with, virtually every deck needs them no matter what.
2 Gallade (BKT) and 1 Archeops (NVI) - Gallade helps you against both the mirror match and verse Turbo Dark, and well as helping you're consistency, and Archeops prevents your opponent from evolving.
1 Sableye (DEX) - Huge help for setting up a Maxie and getting back things like Dark Patch in mid to late game.
1 Keldeo-EX - Status conditions are more prominent in Expanded than in Standard, and Keldeo-EX helps get out of them.
3 Trainers' Mail - Used to hit those other key trainer cards, a consistency card.
2 Parallel City - Situation pending, limiting either players' bench is huge for denying prizes / limiting damage output.
1 Battle Compressor - Two is too few to execute the Maxie game play, which is needed in Expande for this deck.

Other notes:
Taking out a Darkrai-EX for a 4th Battle Compressor can help the deck be more consistent.
Possibly switch 1 Yveltal (BKT) for 1 Yveltal (XY), it really helps against denial decks.

Hope this helps, obviously make changes you think are needed. However, this is the most successful and consistent version of Yveltal-EX.

Thanks for all of this it is really helpful. Hope you don't mind me asking a few questions, I'm new to this. I don't have ultra ball because I get out Pokemon I need with Pokemon fan club/research. What us the big help with ultra ball? Would you recommend I use them to replace the research? My main play is with friends where can just use any cards so I thought research was good as it allows me to choose Pokemon or energy.

I used to run 2x lugia ex as an additional attacker to yveltal ex and I liked the deep hurricane, but then I has a lot of electric weak Pokemon so swapped one to a mewtwo to mix my weakness. Sometimes I think I have too many attaxkers so maybe I should drop lugia and mewtwo for just another yveltal ex?

Jirachi ex.... I'm just not sold on it, seems a dangerous 2 prize bench sitter with only 90 hp all just to be able to get a supporter card.
Again unbreon ex I thought would be helpful against night March and mixes up my weakness.

Pokemon centre lady I think I agree, no one seems to use them and I guess the idea of my deck is to hit hard and fast so I can use the space with more draw cards.
Max elixir I can't decide on. I love the idea but hate the inconsistency.

Sableye I love the junk hunt but isn't he easy to kill and just a give away prize card? Or do people feel that it's worth it for what is likely to be only a single junk hunt?

Lastly (sorry I know it's a lot) trainers mail. Again I don't get the big fuss about it, surely it's wasting 3 cards as rather than having cards to search other trainers you could just have more trainers?

Thanks again!

Since you labeled it expanded most assumed that pointing out the non-expanded cards would be helpful. Unlimited is a slightly different beast.

The trouble with having too many attackers is that it clogs up your bench and hand. A few techs is good, but too many and you hurt your consistency. Better to focus your deck so you have a few GREAT matchups and accept a few bad ones instead of over-teching into a lot of average matchups.

Trainers mail is great in some decks, junk in others. The point of it is to essentially allow you to run a 56 card deck, which speeds things up and gives you a decent chance of finding exactly what you need mid to late game, or just thinning your deck early game. Test it with and without that card. If you find yourself decking out often or wishing it was another card then drop it, but often you'll find it'll pull exactly what you need.

You typically do want a full 4 count of VS Seeker. Fan club wastes your supporter, it would usually be better to have played an Ultra Ball + N or Sycamore and go through more of your deck to draw into your Pokémon instead of searching with a supporter. That said since most of yours are basics Nest Ball might be an ok replacement; however be aware that sends things directly to bench so Shaymin and other "Play from hand" abilities will not be enabled. (Which is why Ultra Ball is so good)

Thanks. Yeah I think you are right, I get excited about having all these different attacking options when maybe I need to focus a bit on a few.
Can I ask, in your opinion in unlimited play would you use N or PONT? I get having one N might be useful when you are behind but maybe PONT better early on to prevent helping your opponent get a free draw?

I'm not familiar with PONT, what set is it from so I can look it up? (I've never dabbled in Unlimited play)

If that's one of your only Unlimited cards I'd say drop it for N that way you can call the deck Expanded, but if you are playing Unlimited then that would probably be better than N in most mid-late game situations. You do give up the hand disruption on the opponent though.

That said, since you have the VS Seekers you could always run a split between them then grab whichever is best in the situation after they get to the discard pile.

Other notes:

I agree with most of these points but have a couple of alternatives :)

Gallade needs to be a 1 count. I think Tauros-GX is easier to set up and is effective as both a deterrent and a hammer. Remember, it only takes 60 damage to crush a 180 HP EX and 80 to take out 240. Those are common early HP numbers. Tauros-GX also has the added benefit of forcing players to use escape ropes / lysandre early because they don't want to hit into an insta-KO. The card is a great addition to this particular deck.

I would actually dump both of the Yveltal BKT, replace 1 with Yveltal XY, keep the Darkrai EX, and add the 4th battle compressor.

I disagree with you on the VCG / HTL combo not being worth it to run in this deck. It is cheap additional damage w/ good potential disruption that forces a reaction out of your opponent. That said, I think a 2 count of VCG + 1 Parallel makes a lot of sense. I know that isn't the current Yveltal / Maxie's approach, but sometimes being a bit off the approach can be devastating in its own right. Mainly what I am getting at is that there is the optimal play and there is the "slightly less" optimal play, but both are very effective and in this case I think the OP should play with both approaches and see which one is preferred :)

1 Shaymin is 1 too few for this deck IMO. If you can't get a 2nd Shaymin, you could consider Oranguru. If you end up going that route, VCG + HTL is the optimal play because you will be getting below 3 cards with pretty high frequency.

Finally, there needs to be some form of tool removal in here. Maybe I just didn't look over the list closely enough, but in order: Tool Scrapper > Startling Megaphone > Xerosic. If you incorporate the Keldeo, you might go Xerosic > Tool Scrapper > Startling Megaphone just to give yourself a way to dump Garbodor multiple times should you need to. If you don't use Keldeo, I probably wouldn't worry about it and use the original order as a one time disruption.

Don't take this as me pushing VCG + HTL. That is a very different deck than Yveltal / Maxie's and I am serious when I say you need to play both to know which you like better.

I agree with most of these points but have a couple of alternatives :)

Gallade needs to be a 1 count. I think Tauros-GX is easier to set up and is effective as both a deterrent and a hammer. Remember, it only takes 60 damage to crush a 180 HP EX and 80 to take out 240. Those are common early HP numbers. Tauros-GX also has the added benefit of forcing players to use escape ropes / lysandre early because they don't want to hit into an insta-KO. The card is a great addition to this particular deck.

I would actually dump both of the Yveltal BKT, replace 1 with Yveltal XY, keep the Darkrai EX, and add the 4th battle compressor.

I disagree with you on the VCG / HTL combo not being worth it to run in this deck. It is cheap additional damage w/ good potential disruption that forces a reaction out of your opponent. That said, I think a 2 count of VCG + 1 Parallel makes a lot of sense. I know that isn't the current Yveltal / Maxie's approach, but sometimes being a bit off the approach can be devastating in its own right. Mainly what I am getting at is that there is the optimal play and there is the "slightly less" optimal play, but both are very effective and in this case I think the OP should play with both approaches and see which one is preferred :)

1 Shaymin is 1 too few for this deck IMO. If you can't get a 2nd Shaymin, you could consider Oranguru. If you end up going that route, VCG + HTL is the optimal play because you will be getting below 3 cards with pretty high frequency.

Finally, there needs to be some form of tool removal in here. Maybe I just didn't look over the list closely enough, but in order: Tool Scrapper > Startling Megaphone > Xerosic. If you incorporate the Keldeo, you might go Xerosic > Tool Scrapper > Startling Megaphone just to give yourself a way to dump Garbodor multiple times should you need to. If you don't use Keldeo, I probably wouldn't worry about it and use the original order as a one time disruption.

Don't take this as me pushing VCG + HTL. That is a very different deck than Yveltal / Maxie's and I am serious when I say you need to play both to know which you like better.

Thanks for all of this. I think I'm guna stick to the VCG + HTL and there is something about it that I just love. I also agree with Tauros-gx, he's great fun to play with and scares opponents to a degree. Also fun seeing their face when you ninja boy it out after theve done 60-80 damage on something that looked innocent.

Think I will drop the lugia and mewtwo and put it darkrai ex (breakpoint - dark pulse) as this could work well with my lasers putting them to sleep. Goes that sound a good idea?

The unbreon was there to get around 'safeguard' Pokemon and the ones that don't let basics damage them as I have no other evolves. Also allows be possible disruption which is something I have very little of. What do people think or am I better of with a 1-1 zoroark?

What is the general opinion on sableye?? I get the junk hunt is great but he seems easy to kill and just a give away prize card? Or do people feel that it's worth it for what is likely to be only a single junk hunt?

Definitely going to get some ultra balls in there maybe to replace Roseannes research.
Max elixers I simply can not make my mind up on

Megaphone seems the best to me on first glance as it removes all tools? Or have I missed something?

Thanks for everyone's continued help!

Thanks for all of this. I think I'm guna stick to the VCG + HTL and there is something about it that I just love. I also agree with Tauros-gx, he's great fun to play with and scares opponents to a degree. Also fun seeing their face when you ninja boy it out after theve done 60-80 damage on something that looked innocent.

Think I will drop the lugia and mewtwo and put it darkrai ex (breakpoint - dark pulse) as this could work well with my lasers putting them to sleep. Goes that sound a good idea?

The unbreon was there to get around 'safeguard' Pokemon and the ones that don't let basics damage them as I have no other evolves. Also allows be possible disruption which is something I have very little of. What do people think or am I better of with a 1-1 zoroark?

What is the general opinion on sableye?? I get the junk hunt is great but he seems easy to kill and just a give away prize card? Or do people feel that it's worth it for what is likely to be only a single junk hunt?

Definitely going to get some ultra balls in there maybe to replace Roseannes research.
Max elixers I simply can not make my mind up on

Megaphone seems the best to me on first glance as it removes all tools? Or have I missed something?

Thanks for everyone's continued help!

Megaphone is situational. If you are playing against most decks, it is great. If you are playing against decks with mega ex Pokemon, then the last thing you want to do is clear off a spirit link after the ex has mega evolved. All you are doing is helping them.

Sable is also situational as well. Some games you are going to have to bring the house to get set up and that means a lot of discarding. Other times you desperately need two more vs seekers to secure the win. Some games you just need to stall and giving up one prize is better than giving up 2. Finally, junk hunt can set up Maxie.

If you are worried about varieties of safeguard Pokemon, tech in ranger and hex. Those will have broader use than Umbreon.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for all of this it is really helpful. Hope you don't mind me asking a few questions, I'm new to this. I don't have ultra ball because I get out Pokemon I need with Pokemon fan club/research. What us the big help with ultra ball? Would you recommend I use them to replace the research? My main play is with friends where can just use any cards so I thought research was good as it allows me to choose Pokemon or energy.

I used to run 2x lugia ex as an additional attacker to yveltal ex and I liked the deep hurricane, but then I has a lot of electric weak Pokemon so swapped one to a mewtwo to mix my weakness. Sometimes I think I have too many attaxkers so maybe I should drop lugia and mewtwo for just another yveltal ex?

Jirachi ex.... I'm just not sold on it, seems a dangerous 2 prize bench sitter with only 90 hp all just to be able to get a supporter card.
Again unbreon ex I thought would be helpful against night March and mixes up my weakness.

Pokemon centre lady I think I agree, no one seems to use them and I guess the idea of my deck is to hit hard and fast so I can use the space with more draw cards.
Max elixir I can't decide on. I love the idea but hate the inconsistency.

Sableye I love the junk hunt but isn't he easy to kill and just a give away prize card? Or do people feel that it's worth it for what is likely to be only a single junk hunt?

Lastly (sorry I know it's a lot) trainers mail. Again I don't get the big fuss about it, surely it's wasting 3 cards as rather than having cards to search other trainers you could just have more trainers?

Thanks again!

Hey, sorry I didn't see this earlier!

As noted above, I took this as Expanded, which you have it marked as. Unlimited is 100% a different monster, so I'm only limiting this to Expanded.

You use Ultra Ball so you don't use your support for the turn, which could be used on N, Lysandre, or Sycamore to help you get what you need or disrupt your opponent. As I stated before, Lugia-EX is bad. Less damage output and had a really common weakness. Also you don't really need more than 2 Yveltal-EX, but this is a game of preferences I guess.

For Jirachi-EX, generally you play it then Parallel City it into your discard without having to worry about it.

Max Elixir in this deck is inconsistent and not worth the spots, as I had stated above.

Yes, Sableye is an easy KO, but it forces your opponent to play the 7 prize game. Also, getting some items back at a key time can and is huge.

Trainers' Mail is just a huge consistency card, it belongs in the deck to grab you the piece you need for the Maxie play.

I see you mentioned Startling Megaphone, Tool Scrapper is better because you can get rid of tools on your Pokemon (like Head Ringer).

As for what @Fayld said:

The LaserBank version of Yveltal-EX is around and is decent. However, it doesn't see much play because it had trouble countering decks like Greninja and Manectric-EX.
As for Safeguard, you have either Yveltal BKT or XY to attack them.

Other cards to consider that I previously failed to mention:
AZ
Escape Rope
Xerosic

I'm incredibly familiar with Yveltal-EX decks, I've been running it since it came out, so feel free to ask more questions about it. I normally respond in a couple days :) and if I don't someone else certainly will.

Hey, sorry I didn't see this earlier!

As noted above, I took this as Expanded, which you have it marked as. Unlimited is 100% a different monster, so I'm only limiting this to Expanded.

You use Ultra Ball so you don't use your support for the turn, which could be used on N, Lysandre, or Sycamore to help you get what you need or disrupt your opponent. As I stated before, Lugia-EX is bad. Less damage output and had a really common weakness. Also you don't really need more than 2 Yveltal-EX, but this is a game of preferences I guess.

For Jirachi-EX, generally you play it then Parallel City it into your discard without having to worry about it.

Max Elixir in this deck is inconsistent and not worth the spots, as I had stated above.

Yes, Sableye is an easy KO, but it forces your opponent to play the 7 prize game. Also, getting some items back at a key time can and is huge.

Trainers' Mail is just a huge consistency card, it belongs in the deck to grab you the piece you need for the Maxie play.

I see you mentioned Startling Megaphone, Tool Scrapper is better because you can get rid of tools on your Pokemon (like Head Ringer).

As for what @Fayld said:

The LaserBank version of Yveltal-EX is around and is decent. However, it doesn't see much play because it had trouble countering decks like Greninja and Manectric-EX.
As for Safeguard, you have either Yveltal BKT or XY to attack them.

Other cards to consider that I previously failed to mention:
AZ
Escape Rope
Xerosic

I'm incredibly familiar with Yveltal-EX decks, I've been running it since it came out, so feel free to ask more questions about it. I normally respond in a couple days :) and if I don't someone else certainly will.

Thanks for your continued advice, I have taken it all on board and below is my new current list which seems to be working quite well. I haven't gone for the maxie approach yet even though I know it is better but just feels like then I'm copying a deck rather than creating my own. Please tell me what you think and and suggestions. I've taken out Max elixers as i didn't like the inconsistency. I've added in advanced hammer and tool scrapper for some disruption. Would love to get another hammer in but can't think what I can sacrifice. One option is skylar but I like her giving me the ability to go get a lazer or VCG for that combo. I did have two of her but I've reluctantly cut to one. I have a lot of single supporters which slightly concerns me but I have the battle compress and vs seeker which I guess negates some of the risk. Also I can see how good trainers mail is but what do I drop for them? Everything seems crucial. Anyway please let me know what you think.

11Pokemon

Yveltal ex x2
Darkrai ex (dark cloak ability) x2
Darkrai dark pulse
Tauros GX
Yveltal dark night x2
Eevee
Umbreon GX
Shaymin ex

13energy

9 dark
4 DX

36 trainers

Fighting fury x3

Ultra ball x3

Advanced hammer
Tool scrapper

Lysandre x2
VCG x3
Parallel city
H Lazer x4

Dark patch x 4
Vs seeker x4

Life dew

Syyla x1
Prof S x2
PONT / prof s( when playing expanded)
N
Ghetis
Ninja boy

Battle combusted x2

Last edited:
I would consider dropping the Eevee/Umbreon. Without them you're still running 9 Basics which is more than you'll ever use in a game, but still enough to not mulligan often. Running a 1-1 line, which while it can evolve instantly, is really weak if that 1 Umbreon is prized. (The other option would be to drop something else and up the 1-1 count to something more reliable.)

I'd dump the Umbreon line as well, it's a cute card but it isnt anywhere near as good as your other cards. I'd replace it with a 2nd Shaymin and 2nd Breakpoint Darkrai. You might also want to consider 1 or 2 Hoopa. It allows you to get a bunch of EXs at once which is important since you don't have many ways to get Pokémon. I'd also dump the DCE (or at least lower it to 2), it's nice but not very helpful for acceleration. I'd replace the DCE either with more energy or max Elixirs. One last thing would be to replace the Life Dew with Computer Search. If you are insistent on running Life Dew then I'd dump the Yveltal (non-EX) and add in more energy / max elixirs. The elixirs + dark patches will give you enough energy acceleration to not miss Yveltal and that way at least the opponent will be forced into killing 4 EXs instead of 3 with the Life Dew.

I'd dump the Umbreon line as well, it's a cute card but it isnt anywhere near as good as your other cards. I'd replace it with a 2nd Shaymin and 2nd Breakpoint Darkrai. You might also want to consider 1 or 2 Hoopa. It allows you to get a bunch of EXs at once which is important since you don't have many ways to get Pokémon. I'd also dump the DCE (or at least lower it to 2), it's nice but not very helpful for acceleration. I'd replace the DCE either with more energy or max Elixirs. One last thing would be to replace the Life Dew with Computer Search. If you are insistent on running Life Dew then I'd dump the Yveltal (non-EX) and add in more energy / max elixirs. The elixirs + dark patches will give you enough energy acceleration to not miss Yveltal and that way at least the opponent will be forced into killing 4 EXs instead of 3 with the Life Dew.
A lot of people have said to drop umbreon and I do understand their points but I fear that if I do I then have only basic attackers which leaves me vulnerable to those with abilities/ attacks which prevent basics hurting them? What do you think?

Back