Ruling Curious question about Shaymin-EX and Sky Returning a Pyukumuku w/Bursting Balloon.

MoFoTY86

Aspiring Trainer
So my question is pretty much what the title says. I am fairly new with how the order of operation happens. I was told by my opponent his Shaymin won't get knocked out to Innards Out and Bursting Balloon. Is this correct?

I believe you are correct because sky return is an attack. You would apply the damage before the attack takes effect. (This would make most sense, but I'm not completely sure)

Shaymin would safely return to your opponent's hand, unscathed, no prizes taken.

All effects of attacks must be finished before placing damage.

Shaymin would safely return to your opponent's hand, unscathed, no prizes taken.

All effects of attacks must be finished before placing damage.

To clarify, this is referring to the effect of Bursting Balloon and / or Innards Out. The damage counters would be placed (it's actually a separate effect f rom doing damage) after the attack is fully resolved; in this case Shaymin-EX has already been returned to the hand, so the damage counters wouldn't be placed.

I know I'm likely missing some steps (since I can't find pokepop's full official list of steps) but

declare attack
effects before commencing attack (confusion, smokescreen, etc.)
damage calculation
other effects on attacking pokemon
effects on defending pokemon
place damage
do any other effects
check for KOs, take prizes and replace pokemon
end of turn

in the case of shaymin vs bursting balloon/innards out as others have said, shaymin has dealt its damage and disappeared before damage can be placed on it.

Back