Creatures Column: Behind Drawing CG Pokemon TCG Illustrations

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Creatures has posted a second column for 2024’s Pokemon TCG Illustrator Contest covering the design process behind CG card illustrations.
The artist interviewed this time is “takuyoa.” The article goes through his artistic and technical processes for designing Greninja ex. While he mainly uses 3D software, he also enhances his artwork in Photoshop with 2D.

column09_img_10_en-300x188.jpg

Originally, takuyoa’s Gardevoir illustration was a semifinalist in 2018’s Pokemon Card Game Illustration Grand Prix contest. He also won the 3D Excellence Award in 2019’s Pokemon Card Game Illustration Grand Prix.

takuyoa-Gardevoir-200x126.jpg

Continue reading...

Actually a shame that it gets obscured. I'd be pretty annoyed if I was an artist and put that much effort into a card just to have all of the artwork covered up.
I’m pretty sure they know how they will be used and there will probably be some sort of presentation in the future (book, art gallery, etc.)

I wish I could do some card art. I don't play much nowadays and would love to flex my skills. I'd do all the bird cards.

Damn how do they always make these rule box cards look like absolute dog shit? Clearly it isn't the art. The art would look great on an actual regular card

Have you read/seen the Japanese version of Creatures first column for 2024 Illustrator Contest?
It features AKIRA EGAWA ( Atsushi Furusawa in English ver.)
Her process of making art is super interesting too!

You can switch languages from "言語" tab in top right.

Damn how do they always make these rule box cards look like absolute dog shit? Clearly it isn't the art. The art would look great on an actual regular card
TPCi wouldn't release cards with awful art, they're not "dog shit", they're just not your taste, so that's not the right choice of words buddy. The framing looks cool so it makes the art pop-out more.
(I agree though it would look cooler without the semi-opaque box.)

TPCi wouldn't release cards with awful art, they're not "dog shit", they're just not your taste, so that's not the right choice of words buddy. The framing looks cool so it makes the art pop-out more.
(I agree though it would look cooler without the semi-opaque box.)
no, they're dogshit.

I wish I could do some card art. I don't play much nowadays and would love to flex my skills. I'd do all the bird cards.
Theoretically you could enter the illustration contest, but there are many reasons why that may not be possible.

You might also enjoy making art for fans to use on their custom Pokémon cards. Pokébeach has a vibrant community of fans who enjoy designing Pokémon cards as much as many artists enjoy drawing fan art. The community even has a Discord (Which I have not been on in some time… Sorry, PMJ). Many artists, especially on DeviantArt, have given these fans permission to use their artwork on their creations. Some of these artists, including Xous54, Ishmam (Steven “Ski” Nosov, and perhaps aquabluu (I recognized Heeyun Chung’s Cramorant’s art style) were recognized for their art during the 2022 illustration contests. In fact, all three artists named made top 100, Xous54 and Heeyun Chung received judges awards, and Ishmam had a second illustration in the top 300. So not only could working with hobbyists be good practice for illustrating for this contest, but it also poses no danger to being accepted into these contests.

Pokémon has established a legacy of using these contests as a source for illustrators, and they don’t seem to stop with the top entrants either. REND becoming an illustrator in Shiny Treasure ex was no surprise, given that all three of REND’s illustrations made top 100 on top of Arcanine getting the grand prize. However, Amelicart merely received the Slowpoke award during the 1st Pokémon Card Game Illustration Grand Prix, and Okacheke only made top 50–without receiving any special recognition. Both of them are now illustrators, and if you don’t already know how beloved Okacheke is, just ask R o s s Gilbert, or “The W o s s y.”*

“I ADORE Okacheke.”
- R o s s Gilbert

As for being restricted to certain countries, Pokémon seems to be introducing new nations to the fold of contestants year by year, so I’m guessing we will at least see the remaining countries from the 2015 contest get added before they stop adding them.

* The forum kept changing his name to “Google” for some reason.

Last edited:
I suppose I can look into it but I don't really care for contest or things like that. Would just like to draw a pidgey or some other burd pokemon. I wish they would have other choices and not the same ones all the time plus whatever the new legend is. Doesn't fell inclusive enough. I'm just salty Jerky was the one who did the pidgeot ex sir card.

@Charmaster:)

Back