Discussion Counters to Giratina EX

RedGyarados

Aspiring Trainer
What's the counter to Giratina EX? Any variant. Standard btw.

Thanks in advance and merry Christmas!

Any regular deck can usually take advantage over Giratina EX just by running 2 Enhanced Hammers (and having ways to search them helps), but if they're really an issue these are the best solutions:

XY4_EN_65.png
XYP_EN_XY67.png

Of course running any Fairy type that can hit for at least 50 (doubled to 100 for Weakness) is gonna be scary for the Giratina-EX player.

Jirachi is the best. Jirachi gets even better when you have a way to get it back.

Sylveon is basically Giratina-EX's worst nightmare.

I agree Sylveon is a great counter against Giratina EX. With a Muscle Band it can knock out Giratina in two hits while discarding Double Dragon/Colorless Energy. However Giratina can knock you out in one hit by attaching another DDE/DCE. Sylveon always has to hit you twice. But if you decide to tech in Sylveon the odds are definitely in your favour. My favourite anti-tech is still the Jirachi Promo because of its invulnerability and it takes only a single spot in your deck list.

What's the counter to Giratina EX? Any variant. Standard btw.

Thanks in advance and merry Christmas!

Mega mewtwo x is my answer. He isn't affected by his ability, he doesn't suffer from the special energy lock but the stadium and tool lock can mess you up a bit because you benefit heavily from your spirit link and dimension Valley. If you are faster then you can easily ohko any giratina(grant it that there is a stadium in play.) And unless giratina is banded then he has to 3 hit ko you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say it's Hex Maniac. You can easily splash it in any deck as a one-of and keep using it over and over with VS Seeker. It can even help in non-Giratina matchups by stopping Shaymin's Set Up, and it's good against pretty much every other ability reliant deck.

Pretty much everything people have already said, plus Silent Lab if you can get it down before Giratina starts using Chaos Wheel.

Some hard hitting non mega EX, Yveltal EX, Lugia EX, Manectric EX (with tool) , Sceptile EX (with poison) and Lucario EX. All 2HKO Giratina EX, if not one. Manectric EX and Sceptile EX do not depend on special energy and stadium too

I'd say it's Hex Maniac. You can easily splash it in any deck as a one-of and keep using it over and over with VS Seeker. It can even help in non-Giratina matchups by stopping Shaymin's Set Up, and it's good against pretty much every other ability reliant deck.
The problem is that it only counters Tina if you use Megas. Otherwise, it doesn't affect Tina and will still leave you helpless if you rely on Stadiums, Special Energy, and/or Tool Cards.

Back