Counter That Deck

Kecleon-X

124c41+
Hello, and welcome! This is "Counter That Deck", a sort of play on the "word game", except with deck archetypes!

How to play:

Here you can counter any deck with any card in the modified format. That's right -- any cards you want! No need for entire decklists here! You can do anything just as long as it counters the deck in the post before it. There is no winner, you can go on as long as you like!

Let me extrapolate on how to play by showing you an example:

Some Guy Who Is Totally Not Me said:
Trevenant / Accelgor / Mew EX / Dusknoir

You lock their items in their hand with Trevenant and you paralyze them with Deck and Cover. Since they can't play Switch, they can't attack. While you lock them with Mew/Accelgor, you can just move the damage counters with Dusknoir and eventually win the game.

Yours Truly said:
Genesect EX / Virizion EX / Cherrim / Deoxys EX

Use Genesect to Red Signal around Trevenant and Virizion EX to remove their special conditions. After they deal damage to you (i.e. 50 damage) you can then use Cherrim to remove such damage, so they can't build up damage to KO your Virizion so easily. You also run a Deoxys so you can OHKO Trevenant with Megalo Cannon.

Some Dude With A Horridly Long Name said:
Flareon / Garbodor (with Silver Mirror)

You discard as many Pokemon as possible to power up Flareon's Vengeance to OHKO Genesect and Virizion. Garbodor is to prevent all of their abilities from taking root, and you run Silver Mirror so they can only deal low amounts of damage with Virizion or Cherrim.

... And then the next guy counters that deck, and the next guy counters the deck you posted... Et cetera.

The rules for the game are as follows!

The Rules for the Game
  • 1. Have fun.
  • 2. Don't argue just because some guy has an odd deck that counters yours. It isn't about playability, it's about concepts that counter one another.
  • 3. You can only use cards that are in the modified format. This means that you should be able to walk into a tournament and play it without any problem.
  • 4. You must provide a short strategy in your post! No matter how simple it is, some people might not understand it, so please be sure to have a quick and concise review of why your deck counters the person above you.
  • 5. No deck is unbeatable, so don't be upset when yours does get beaten.
  • 6. Your deck must counter the deck above it in terms of posting, so please quote what deck you're countering just in case you're Ninja'd (in other words, someone posts before you do)!
  • 7. There is no seventh rule.

Have fun, and I'll begin!:

Darkrai EX / Yveltal EX / Yveltal / Sableye

Use Darkrai as a method for retreating and a solid attacker, while using Yveltal EX to attack for heavy damage. Basic Yveltal for Energy acceleration as well as Sableye to recover any Items that I need to use, like Hammers!

RE: Counter That Deck!

Use Darkrai as a method for retreating and a solid attacker, while using Yveltal EX to attack for heavy damage. Basic Yveltal for Energy acceleration as well as Sableye to recover any Items that I need to use, like Hammers!

Palkia EX/ Sigilyph/ Trevenant/ Snorlax/ Keldeo EX

use Palkia to attack with strafe then switch to sigilyph if they are attacking with a EX, switch to Trevenant if they have sableye or yveltal out or you could also switch to snorlax with any of your oppenents Pokemon and use a hypnotoxic laser and virbank.

Actually, that doesn't directly counter Darkrai / Yveltal, so that doesn't count. Remember, it doesn't have to be a Meta deck -- it can be a random, odd deck that runs, like, Raichu and Terrakion EX. My gosh that would blatantly murder autowin Darkrai / Yveltal.

Kecleon-X said:
Hello, and welcome! This is "Counter That Deck", a sort of play on the "word game", except with deck archetypes!

How to play:

Here you can counter any deck with any card in the modified format. That's right -- any cards you want! No need for entire decklists here! You can do anything just as long as it counters the deck in the post before it. There is no winner, you can go on as long as you like!

Some Guy Who Is Totally Not Me said:
Trevenant / Accelgor / Mew EX / Dusknoir

You lock their items in their hand with Trevenant and you paralyze them with Deck and Cover. Since they can't play Switch, they can't attack. While you lock them with Mew/Accelgor, you can just move the damage counters with Dusknoir and eventually win the game.

Yours Truly said:
Genesect EX / Virizion EX / Cherrim / Deoxys EX

Use Genesect to Red Signal around Trevenant and Virizion EX to remove their special conditions. After they deal damage to you (i.e. 50 damage) you can then use Cherrim to remove such damage, so they can't build up damage to KO your Virizion so easily. You also run a Deoxys so you can OHKO Trevenant with Megalo Cannon.

Some Dude With A Horridly Long Name said:
Flareon / Garbodor (with Silver Mirror)

You discard as many Pokemon as possible to power up Flareon's Vengeance to OHKO Genesect and Virizion. Garbodor is to prevent all of their abilities from taking root, and you run Silver Mirror so they can only deal low amounts of damage with Virizion or Cherrim.

... And then the next guy counters that deck, and the next guy counters the deck you posted... Et cetera.

The Rules for the Game
  • 1. Have fun.
  • 2. Don't argue just because some guy has an odd deck that counters yours. It isn't about playability, it's about concepts that counter one another.
  • 3. You can only use cards that are in the modified format. This means that you should be able to walk into a tournament and play it without any problem.
  • 4. You must provide a short strategy in your post! No matter how simple it is, some people might not understand it, so please be sure to have a quick and concise review of why your deck counters the person above you.
  • 6. Your deck must counter the deck above it in terms of posting, so please quote what deck you're countering just in case you're Ninja'd (in other words, someone posts before you do)!

Kecleon-X said:
Actually, that doesn't directly counter Darkrai / Yveltal, so that doesn't count. Remember, it doesn't have to be a Meta deck -- it can be a random, odd deck that runs, like, Raichu and Terrakion EX. My gosh that would blatantly murder autowin Darkrai / Yveltal.

Raichu/Terrakian (NV)/Garbodor

Use Raichu to OHKO Yveltal/EX terrakian to OHKO Darkrai when it revenge KO's your Raichu and Garbordor controls abilities so they cant retreat for free.

(This could actually work :p I may have to try it.)
Counter this:

Virizion EX/Genesect EX/Rosarade

Virizion EX for energy acceleration and status immunity, Genesect for OHKO and Rosarade is a computer search

Cortel II said:
Kecleon-X said:

How to play:

The Rules for the Game
  • 1. Have fun.

Kecleon-X said:

Raichu/Terrakian (NV)/Garbodor

Use Raichu to OHKO Yveltal/EX terrakian to OHKO Darkrai when it revenge KO's your Raichu and Garbordor controls abilities so they cant retreat for free.

(This could actually work :p I may have to try it.)
Counter this:

Virizion EX/Genesect EX/Rosarade

Virizion EX for energy acceleration and status immunity, Genesect for OHKO and Rosarade is a computer search
This is a king of the hill format. The next person to post should counter Raichu / Terrakion / Garbodor :p.

Crustle w/ Sturdy, Reuniclus w/ Damage Swap, and Serperior w/ Royal Heal.

Crustle cant be OHKOed thx to sturdy, Reuniclus moves damage away from Crustle, and Serperior Heals off Damage.

Edit:
Well then i have to change that...

Landorus Ex and Leafeon with Muscle Bands.

Landorus with Muscle Band OHKOs Raichus and spreads on low HP Pikachus, Leafeon OHKO Terrakion with 3 energy on the opponents side of the field and a muscle band, or 4 energy. Less if Landorus Ex focuses on Terrakion with spread damage.

Ivy_Profen said:

Crustle cant be OHKOed thx to sturdy, Reuniclus moves damage away from Crustle, and Serperior Heals off Damage.

Edit:

Landorus with Muscle Band OHKOs Raichus and spreads on low HP Pikachus, Leafeon OHKO Terrakion with 3 energy on the opponents side of the field and a muscle band, or 4 energy. Less if Landorus Ex focuses on Terrakion with spread damage.

Thunderus EX/Deoxyes EX/Kyurem

Kyurem isn't weak to grass and can OHKO Landerus EX, and OHKO Leafeon. Deoxyes EX boosts damage and Thunderus EX accelerates Energy.

Cortel II said:
Ivy_Profen said:

Edit:

Thunderus EX/Deoxyes EX/Kyurem

Kyurem isn't weak to grass and can OHKO Landerus EX, and OHKO Leafeon. Deoxyes EX boosts damage and Thunderus EX accelerates Energy.
Dragonite/Garbodor
Set up a T2 Dragonite with deafen (DCE and maybe a Grass) and attach a silver mirror to Dragonite. You should be able to win by stalling your opponent out with 60 damage each turn. They wont be able to search for any cards, even colress machine. Even if they get a non-ex pokemon out, like Mewtwo EX revenge KO it with your own Mewtwo EX. Then the prize trade should still be at 2-3. And with Garb the opponent can't add extra damage OR catcher up benched pokemon with Genesect EX.

Tough one...

Flareon/Drifblim/Druddigon, I think? I one of my Pokés gets KO'd, it just fuels up Flareon and allows Druddigon(coming soon to a Prerelease near you) to OHKO Dragonite. Garbodor would be rendered almost useless because it relies in basically no abilities besides Audino, and you can discard with Juniper if you can't use Ultra Balls.

A couple questions: Are we allowed to use the same deck that someone else used? And when can a player post another deck after posting their first deck, if at all?

Luispipe8 said:
Tough one...

Flareon/Drifblim/Druddigon, I think? I one of my Pokés gets KO'd, it just fuels up Flareon and allows Druddigon(coming soon to a Prerelease near you) to OHKO Dragonite. Garbodor would be rendered almost useless because it relies in basically no abilities besides Audino, and you can discard with Juniper if you can't use Ultra Balls.

Darkrai EX / Sableye / Ninetales w/ Silver Mirror

You apply early pressure with Darkrai EX and snipe their Eevees and Drifblims with Night Spear. You can avoid activating Revenge by KOing Pokemon with Laser, then taking multiple knock outs with Night Spear at once. Ninetales can act as a Catcher effect to knock out multiple Pokemon at once with Night Spear if your opponent is trying to avoid that, and a non EX attacker to even the prize trade at the end. Silver Mirror can work on Sableye and Ninetales to stop Flareon from attacking.

^ Yes, you can use whatever deck you like as long as it directly counters the deck prior.

Machamp The Champion said:
A couple questions: Are we allowed to use the same deck that someone else used? And when can a player post another deck after posting their first deck, if at all?

Luispipe8 said:
Tough one...

Darkrai EX / Sableye / Ninetales w/ Silver Mirror

You apply early pressure with Darkrai EX and snipe their Eevees and Drifblims with Night Spear. You can avoid activating Revenge by KOing Pokemon with Laser, then taking multiple knock outs with Night Spear at once. Ninetales can act as a Catcher effect to knock out multiple Pokemon at once with Night Spear if your opponent is trying to avoid that, and a non EX attacker to even the prize trade at the end. Silver Mirror can work on Sableye and Ninetales to stop Flareon from attacking.

suicune/terrakian/virizion EX

suicune protects you from the brunt of damage from darkrai ex as you power up tarrakian plus it one shots a nintails and can two shot Darkrai with muscle band as well as take out sableyes. Terrakian is there just incase nintails gets a knockout on suicune it can revenge kill it , virizion EX will stop ninetails from doing any real damage because you can't be affected by statuses. With a mime on the bench darkrai won't be doing anything all game.

Cortel II said:
suicune/terrakian/virizion EX

suicune protects you from the brunt of damage from darkrai ex as you power up tarrakian plus it one shots a nintails and can two shot Darkrai with muscle band as well as take out sableyes. Terrakian is there just incase nintails gets a knockout on suicune it can revenge kill it , virizion EX will stop ninetails from doing any real damage because you can't be affected by statuses. With a mime on the bench darkrai won't be doing anything all game.

virizion/genesect/roserade

virizion + muscle band OHKO terrakion, also does genesect
roserade+muscle band or genesect+gbooster KO suicune

Flareon with a double colorless energy and a fire energy will one shot Virizion EX and genesect EX. Or use revenge with 5 pokemon in the discard pile and a muscle band also OHKO's both EXs mentioned

I don't know if that's a deck, but... meh.

Blastoise/Keldeo-EX/Suicune

Keldeo and Suicune destroy Flareon, and Suicune just for prize trade.

Leafeon/ Garbador/ Jolteon. Leafon has the potential to one shot both pokemon. Garbador shuts off there abilitys and jolton can attack with its second attack to stp Keledo from attacking.

Well...
Big Basics(Mewtwo/Cobalion/Landorus/Tornadus) with heavy switch count

No Abilities=screw Garbodor; Landorus can OHKO Eevee before it evolves as well as hitting Jolteon in the face. Cobalion and Tornadus for coverage attackers and Mewtwo because he is so good... :p

Yveltal/ Nintails/ develoution spray/ terrakian Yveltal is more powerful than mewtwo. Ninetails can one shot Cobalion and many other EX's with a heads on a laser. terrakian For tornadus

]

Luispipe8 said:
Well...

No Abilities=screw Garbodor; Landorus can OHKO Eevee before it evolves as well as hitting Jolteon in the face. Cobalion and Tornadus for coverage attackers and Mewtwo because he is so good... :p

Ironman131 said:
Yveltal/ Nintails/ develoution spray/ terrakian Yveltal is more powerful than mewtwo. Ninetails can one shot Cobalion and many other EX's with a heads on a laser. terrakian For tornadus

The only real counter there is ninetails vs cobalion. A better one may have been siglyph/ ninetails. but ok.

Raichu/suicune/virizion EX

Raichu OHKO Yveltal, suicune takes out ninetails and walls EXs virizion EX with muscle band OHKO terrakian and prevents ninetails from doing much if any damage .

Cortel II said:
]

Luispipe8 said:
Well...

Ironman131 said:

The only real counter there is ninetails vs cobalion. A better one may have been siglyph/ ninetails. but ok.
And also the fact that Tornadus actually resists Terrakion... :p

Back