Discussion Could the Shining Mechanic Make a Full Return?

Gruffling

Aspiring Trainer
We've seen shiny cards in recent times come and go in the last couple of generations, the Secret Rares over some BW sets, a few boxes, the dual type cards (RIP) in Steam Siege and even though the shiny Silvally box sees its release after Shining Legends, could the mechanic be open for a return?

The Sun and Moon sets are however currently inundated with Secret Rares the (imo unimaginative) rainbow rares, the golden full art trainers and golden energy cards which does not favour the return of the Shining mechanic as Secret Rares like they once were, of course they are not that in Shining Legends though not a main series set it doesn't necessarily have to play by the rules. But we are nearing the end of basic energies getting their golden prints so maybe that will free up 2 or 3 Shining cards being placed in a set?

With these cards being uniquely named unlike the other shiny print cards in Expanded and Standard, there would be some incentive for them to do something like this, unique cards can be used by people purchasing packs with a competitive or collector outlook. Whereas maximum rarity is not essential for competitive, this is simply down to personal preference.

Of course let's look at recent trends, BREAK cards were done away with relatively quickly, as were Ancient Traits and the dual type mechanic was brought back and abandoned after a single set. So it would certainly be in character for them to welcome this mechanic with a revolving door.

Now I'm much more of a collector, I do play the game, but very casually. Competitive deck designs are just not fun. So for me, I love having different mechanics all over, having different designs of cards intermingling is just a lot more interesting in my opinion. So I would welcome a full return of this mechanic.

IMO the only secret rare worth collecting from the SuMo era is the Mewtwo tube design. I’m not basing this on value, competitive etc - I just think that card looks stunning and really stands out from the rest. The 5ban gold cards and full art trainers are nice (usually) but you definitely have a point about oversaturation. They’re generic and I’m not interested in chasing complete sets of them. One or two cards like Mewtube per set would be more than welcome in my books.

IMO the only secret rare worth collecting from the SuMo era is the Mewtwo tube design. I’m not basing this on value, competitive etc - I just think that card looks stunning and really stands out from the rest. The 5ban gold cards and full art trainers are nice (usually) but you definitely have a point about oversaturation. They’re generic and I’m not interested in chasing complete sets of them. One or two cards like Mewtube per set would be more than welcome in my books.

Oh I absolutely agree on the Mewtube card it is a fantastic design. I did really enjoy the 'and friends' secret rares BreakThrough on. When the rarest cards have interesting stand-out designs they become worth chasing. Though the secret rare energies were very exciting to pull, but I really like having loads of different designs of basic energies. The holo ones from ex Emerald I think it was were beautiful.

"Unique" playable cards should never be exceptionally rare. Tapu Lele GX already costs a lot, but imagine how absurdly high its price would be if it was only available as Shining Tapu Lele (1 in 200 chance of being pulled out of a Guardians Rising booster) instead.

That is definitely a good point, but doesn't it assume that the Shining cards would be chase cards? In theory every card is 'playable' and plenty of cards don't have inflated price tags.

I think the shining Pokemon are chase cards. They aren't super hard to get right now, look good and have unique foiling. I'm collecting them now so I don't have to worry about getting a Shining Rayquaza later, when it would cost one million dollars to get it. I just want to see more unique card art like the tube Mewtwo-GX.

We've seen shiny cards in recent times come and go in the last couple of generations, the Secret Rares over some BW sets, a few boxes, the dual type cards (RIP) in Steam Siege and even though the shiny Silvally box sees its release after Shining Legends, could the mechanic be open for a return?

I'm a bit confused. None of the new Shining Pokémon, that have the word "Shining" in their name, have anything resembling the past mechanics for such Pokémon. If you look up some of the original Shining Pokémon, like Shining Mewtwo (Neo Destiny 109/105), you'll see it has the "Shining Rule" on it stating you may only run 1 Shining Mewtwo in your deck. Their successors, Pokémon [Star] had an even stricter rule, preventing you from running more than one Pokémon [Star] per deck.

Like what Otaku said, those are the only "Mechanics" that existed for shining Pokemon. In general it would be lame to have a restriction on how many Shining Pokemon you can play, that would be boring and lame, and would make none of them fun to play as a 'one of' considering how powerful they each are. Though I myself have a theory that's how the new "Prism Star Cards" (in the leaked USUM sets) gonna work.

I'm a bit confused. None of the new Shining Pokémon, that have the word "Shining" in their name, have anything resembling the past mechanics for such Pokémon. If you look up some of the original Shining Pokémon, like Shining Mewtwo (Neo Destiny 109/105), you'll see it has the "Shining Rule" on it stating you may only run 1 Shining Mewtwo in your deck. Their successors, Pokémon [Star] had an even stricter rule, preventing you from running more than one Pokémon [Star] per deck.

I know I'm using the term mechanic loosely as in using the name Shining. I'm referring to Shining as a distinctive subgroup (not counting towards the 4 of the same name rule) of cards making a full return and not being a one off.

Back